Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Swapping insurance to a van for a few days

Options
  • 20-09-2006 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to change your insurance (QD if it helps) to a rented van for a few days to facilitate the moving of personal stuff? What kind of cash do the buggers normally tack on, if it is allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Quinn will be a no go, they insist the car/van is in your own name even if its only for a day or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

zuutroy wrote:
    Is it possible to change your insurance (QD if it helps) to a rented van for a few days to facilitate the moving of personal stuff? What kind of cash do the buggers normally tack on, if it is allowed?

Some rental van companies will offer their insurance cover for an additional cost.

Did you ring your insurance company to confirm their position on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Nah....havent rang them yet. Can buy insurance of the van-renters but its something stupid like e50 a day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Some ins cos facilitate temporary transfer to a comm veh (van) but charge an admin fee of € 50.00.

On the otherhand, you can expect to pay € 80+/day for van hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

northgate seem to do Transits for about 45 a day, and Murphys for 60

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

My father did this once to draw home a load of turf from the bog two yrs ago, he told them the car was in for a service and all the garage had to him as a replacement was a van, (makes it sound more needy) they transferred the insurance free of charge (after some tut tuts for the 24 hours needed). The van then proceeded to go bogging and the job to it out was unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

Moved furniture last year for a day - free transfer courtesy of F.B.D - over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Quinn Direct will not allow you to drive a van with a car policy. I had a private policy on a fiesta van with them a few years back, and the 3rd party extension allowing me to drive other cars specifically stated that I couldn't drive vans, go figure, but when it came time to change to a car, the insurance couldn't be transferred to a car :0. Also, I had to transfer my insurance to a hire car while mine was being fixed after being rear ended, and they charged ~€50 for the temporary transfer and tried to charge the same again for transferring it back (read they sent me a threatning letter saying they would cancel my insurance if I didn't pay them the €50). My policy at the time cost something like €400 for the year.

What I'm trying to say is that you're better off with the rental companys insurance. QD either won't entertain you or will give you a good buggering. I hired a van from enterprise a few times earlier this year and I don't remember it being too steep, they usually do good weekend rates if that's any good and you can haggle on price.

Advertisement