Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does El Nino affect our weather?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

But what can we expect for Europe or Ireland during el nino.Are we affected from this? Cant remember the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Snowbie wrote:
    But what can we expect for Europe or Ireland during el nino.Are we affected from this? Cant remember the last one.

Rain, drizzly rain and overcast skies like we always get. :mad:

Expect a mild wet winter so,as usually thats what we get over here with a pacific sea warming.

It's also probably why the Atlantic hurricane season has been so much quieter than last year (when it was cough originally expected to be worse/same) though ,the impact is said to be small.

http://english.people.com.cn/200609/14/eng20060914_302608.html

Hal1 wrote:
    Rain, drizzly rain and overcast skies like we always get. :mad:

Ah the usual then,nothing new there then.:(

Tristrame wrote:
    Expect a mild wet winter so,as usually thats what we get over here with a pacific sea warming.

It's also probably why the Atlantic hurricane season has been so much quieter than last year (when it was cough originally expected to be worse/same) though ,the impact is said to be small.

http://english.people.com.cn/200609/...14_302608.html

Is that evident in previous el nino years.As we do receive mild winters albeit it dry for the last few.
    So in summary it is mild and wet this time round?
    With N america(continent) receiving milder than avg winters i thought the opposite happens in W europe.
    Whats the clock on el nino in years,it is said it is 7 or so years i think but yet it is the first time i have heard of this this time round,or is it when the Pacific starts to warm they classify it as now.

Well with the LRF to saying an avg Winter i still think it might be a snowy one myself with the SST being higher in the very N Atlantic,perfect for polar low formation in a Northerly blast.Again my theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

CNN says this about el nino. The last one was in '93 and lasted into '94, but scientists expect this time around will be more severe affecting north and south america and other countries around the pacific ocean. It will cause some climate change during the el nino period by switching their weather patterns, from what i have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

and poo hits the roof when you sit on the toilet.

The El NINO will have absolutely NO affect on the climate in Ireland
    and Britain as we are miles and miles and miles away.

The fact is that we live in a mild oceanic climate area. Variations of temperature
    during winter and summer occur with extremes and average periods. Some years
    are warmer than others some are colder. There at this stage in History
    is no discernable link between warm water in the east pacific and winters over
    Europe and that is fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Indeed, El Nino often means more extreme global weather, but no hot or cold signature here*

Also we are at sunspot minimum, this winter has loads of potential (if you are a cold lover) if you are a believer in the Sunspot cycle and weather theory.

*However ..it does tend to lead towards extremes here, we might get a very cold or a very mild winter..but less likely to be a "normal" winter.

Personally I reckon this winter could be rather interesting, El Nino AND sunspot minimum..bring it on!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I associate el ninos with increased atlantic activity and ergo more westerlies/south westerlies wind and rain in the winter.
    Certainly the big el nino from a few years ago came cheek by jar with a mild very wet winter here.

@ weathercheck El nino's do (according to an interesting BBC 4 horizon documentary,I saw recently) impact sea temps globally and yes also the North Atlantic.

Longfield wrote:
    Personally I reckon this winter could be rather interesting, El Nino AND sunspot minimum..bring it on!!

I agree.
    Tristrame wrote:
    @ weathercheck El nino's do (according to an interesting BBC 4 horizon documentary,I saw recently) impact sea temps globally and yes also the North Atlantic.

Also do agree.If you get a northerly or greenland NW blast over a predicted 1c warmer than avg waters between Iceland and Ireland its condusive to the formation of Polar lows.Think of it bitter cold north origin winds over a warmer than normal N atlantic ocean will create instability which in turn will create surface lows and will pep up into a nice Polar low,it could get interesting.Ingredients will be right,but havin said that the SW winds will i think will be the more active this year than last which would give us a milder than avg Winter,with the exception of the cold snaps which will be more active in themselves giving us a load of snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Seeing as how El Nino is starting at the moment I'm curious to know what affects if any it has on our weather? I think I read somewhere that it usually makes our winters milder?
    Is there any truth in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

lets hope not, our spiders are big enough at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Just saw the other thread there now, feel free to close this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Is this what the Daily Mail in the UK were referring today on their front page I wonder?

Advertisement