Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance

Options
  • 19-09-2006 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am in college part time at night and also workin part time. Claiming unemployment assistance for the days i am not working. Am livin with parents but am saving up for a deposit on accommodation. will be moving in with my boyfriend. am i entitled to rent allowance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You might, but you will likely be assessed on both your own income and that of either your parents or your boyfriend.

Can you afford this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

To qualify for a rent allowance you must satisfy all of the following conditions:

On 26 July, 1982 you must have been the tenant or the spouse or partner of a tenant, of a dwelling which was subject to rent control until that date. A member of a tenent's family may be eligible for an allowance where they succeeded to the tenancy on or before 25th July 2002.
    You must be entitled to retain possession as a tenant of that dwelling.

Your rent and the Terms Of Your Tenancy must be fixed by the Relevant Court or Rent Tribunal, be set out in written form, signed by the landlord or their agent and a copy given to you. Either you or your landlord may apply to the Rent Tribunal to fix a rent.

The landlord must register the tenancy and details of any new rent with the local housing authority (when the registration is completed the housing authority will sent you an extract from the register).

You must satisfy a means test. see below
    NOTE:

You cannot get a Rent Allowance if your rent is agreed between the landlord. The rent must have been fixed by the Relevant Court or Rent Tribunal.

You may qualify for this allowance for the first time if:

you are the spouse or partner of a deceased eligible tenant,
    or
    your rent has been re-fixed by the Rent Tribunal or Relevant Court and because of changes in your situation you now meet the qualifying conditions.
    A means test is used to assess your means. Any income you or your spouse or partner have or property or an asset that could provide you with an income is taken into account.

The main items which count as means are:

cash income including certain social welfare payments and allowances under the Health Acts; income received as head of the household and the annual net cash value of any non-cash earnings (benefits in kind);
    the value of investments, capital or property owned but not personally used (see below)
    the value of any benefit or privilege enjoyed by you; and
    all income and the value of any property of which you may have deprived yourself in order to qualify for a Rent Allowance.
    The following are not counted as means:

the first €20,000 of savings, investments or property (see below)
    Child Benefit
    Family Income Supplement
    Domiciliary Care Allowance
    Orphan's Contributory Allowance or Orphan's Non-Contributory Pension
    Any money received from a Health Service Executive for a child who is boarded out
    Income from a charity
    Income from casual employment by a Health Service Execurive as a home help
    Any of the following increases of payment, from this department or or a Health service Executive:
    - increase for a child dependant or a prescribed relative
    - Living Alone Allowance
    - over 80 Allowance
    - Fuel Allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Phil the Drill

you just copied that from another website... and its slightly the wrong info...

Anyone know if rent allowance is accepted if i want to rent an apartment with my GF who is working and I am not? How does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Anyone know if rent allowance is accepted if i want to rent an apartment with my GF who is working and I am not? How does it work?

Do you mean if you qualify for RA or if it will be accepted by a landlord?

I would think that if a LL says no rent allowance, that's a blanket decision ie won't accept any rent allowance even in part payment. Having said that, if your OH who's working rents the apartment, and your RA is paid to you which you pass on to your OH..does the LL need to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Phil the Drill

You need proof of residency (mortgage statement) from the LL to get the rent allowance

hhhmmmm, mortgage statement eh....

• Advertisement
Advertisement