Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryder Cup - mobile phones

Options
  • 19-09-2006 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

You know how the organisers don't want anyone bringing camera's, phones and other such items to the event. Well, how is that to work? I've no issue with no camera's but I do have an issue with the phone situation.

I can't stand muppetts who forget to turn off their phone at these events and do see the point in banning them. But can they stop us from bringing in phones? I do have a need for having a phone there on the day, I'll need to make a few calls in the afternoon, so would only plan on turning it on away from play then.

Or if the organisers have pay phones, then great, but if they don't I'm stuck.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i imagine with the no phones rules that they'll probably have payphones in the hospitality village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

The no phones thing is a security issue yet I know that they let workers bring their phones in :p so maybe it is actually just so they won't go off during play. I would imagine they have payphones there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

just occured to me to check the website and they have it up, there will be public payphones
    Public telephones are situated in the Tented Village and other public areas around the course. In addition telephones are available in the Park and Ride facilities at Palmerstown House and Weston Aerodrome for contact to be made with Taxi companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

Ryder Cup Europe LLP would like to reiterate that mobile phones are strictly prohibited at The 2006 Ryder Cup from Tuesday September 19 to Sunday September 24 inclusive at The K Club, Straffan, Co. Kildare, Ireland. Mitchell Platts, spokesman for The Ryder Cup, said: "We wish to make it very clear that the 'No Mobile Phones' policy is being implemented with support of the Garda. No mobile phones will be allowed on-site. We are requesting that everyone attending The K Club leaves their mobile phone at home or in their car. Public telephones are situated in the Tented Village and other public areas around the course. In addition telephones are available in the Park and Ride facilities at Palmerstown House and Weston Aerodrome for contact to be made with Taxi companies. We would like to thank all spectators for their support and we trust the 'No Mobile Phones' policy will enhance everyone's enjoyment of The 2006 Ryder Cup."

Just beat me too it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ruséil

i think the ban on mobiles is more to do with the camera phone issue. The organisers don't want everyone standing around using their phone to snap the players as they tee off. a bit pedantic, i think. what harm does taking a small, silent, low resolution picture do. only a very fickle golfer would accuse someone using their camera phone of being to blame for distraction, yet I think this is one of the main reasons for the ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

thanks lads....I never even thought of checking the website!

payphones will do just fine....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭TheFredJ

i love the irony of o2 whoring thier sponsorship of this event, and then punters not being able to use their mobile phones at it. hilarious.

will make it harder on the friday for the execs dossing for the day. i guess they'll just have to fall back on that old perennial excuse, that's they're on a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

The no mobile rule is enforced. There are airport type walkthrough detectors, so you wont sneak it in. If you do forget to leave it in the car like I did this morning, there is a facility to leave it in the 'left luggage' booth when you get off the buses, free of charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

i saw numerous people today using them out on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Well they definitely wouldn't let me bring mine in. and I saw them sending back 4 other people to the left luggage to deposit their phones.

Maybe some people sneaked them in, I didn't try. The could have been staff also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭boy_wonder

No Definetly spectators. I dunno how they got them in. Personally i was glad to leave mine in the car and escape work for a few hours. Whats the point in risk getting ejected from the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Anything in your pockets is put into a plastic see-through bag atfter the bus journey, so thats when they'd send ya over. I saw a telephone booth up at the back of the 16th when ya have to walk a long way around bushes. its beside an ATM and merchandise stall. Im sure there was some in the Tented Village aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I heard your not allowed bring in your own pockets radios too listen to the commentary, I never been to gold mathc but I presume alot of people do that?

how much do you have to pay for the official earpieces (as they described tham)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I heard your not allowed bring in your own pockets radios too listen to the commentary, I never been to gold mathc but I presume alot of people do that?

how much do you have to pay for the official earpieces (as they described tham)

€10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

****ing hell!!!!!! **** bastards, I was trying to see this as similar to the euro championships but now I've turned back to marketing event with some golf....

golf is still an elitist sport

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dil999 wrote:
    there is a facility to leave it in the 'left luggage' booth when you get off the buses, free of charge
    I just have this image of some poor guy or girl working there going mental having to listen to mobile phones going off all day. :p

Hopefully people would have the sense to turn them off before they deposit them.

Advertisement