Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance and risk jobs?

Options
  • 18-09-2006 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

Are people with certain jobs weighted more when it comes to car insurance?

Anyone know any jobs that are and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I remember when I worked in a Bar being told never to put it on my insurance form as the Insuarance companies see you a high risk because they reckon bar workers have a drink after work. (they are probably right too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yep, I'm in the decorating trade and know plenty of others who do the same....telling your insurance company that you're a painter loads the policy...something to do with unsocial hours and the fact that any van you're driving is possibly carrying hazardous chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Anyone in hospitality, Gardai, doctors and, (I found this amusing) antique dealers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Mechanics (no respect for cars, all think they're racing drivers)
    Journalists (speeding to get a story?)
    Any job in the media (famous passengers = €€€€ personal injury claims?)
    Professional sportsmen (see above)
    Bar staff (more to do with unsociable hours I think, than having a jar)

Actually a lot of mildly mechanical jobs are loaded. Could be due to mechanics being creative with their job descriptions, or else it's assumed that we all reef the 1.3L engines out of our cars and fit 10L V12s, because we can. I had to spend about 20 minutes with my broker going through variations on my job to find one that wasn't loaded. I'm a fitter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Would assume telling them that your a soldier would probably put a smile on their faces too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Anyone who drives for a living FFS

My dad's quotes are always massive as he's a courier.

In every other country in the world drivers get discounted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mariovwgolf

I worked in retail and my insurance was 3300 and then moved to a bank and now its 2100
    get the hint!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

milltown wrote:
    Journalists (speeding to get a story?)
    No, someone gouger just might torch the car in the middle of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ber

I think the rule with Irish Insurance companies is to screw you no matter what you do ... :mad:

Advertisement