Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My baby is sick!

Options
  • 18-09-2006 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭

Evening all,

My beautiful black 02 Passat (1.9 TDI - Automatic gearbox, 81k miles, recently serviced and timing belt changed) has developed a rather serious sounding/feeling problem today.

I was driving in traffic at lunchtime when I felt her starting to shake a little at low revs. This got worse over the next few minutes and then the yellow triangular traction/ESP warning light came on on the dash. It felt almost as if it was about to cut out.

Rang the garage I bought it from (as it happens I've to go up to him anyway this week), and he seems to think that it's nothing too serious - probably a loose cable/connection somewhere?

On the drive back to the office it seemed to have cured itself but on the way home it started again and seemed worse though only at 2k revs or less. Despite the light indicating a traction control problem, the gear changes didn't sound right or at the right intervals so I'm starting to think there could be a fault there.

I did discover that turning her off and on again seems to clear it as the last 5/10 minutes were ok after I did this and no warning light, and I'm bringing it up to the garage tomorrow afternoon, but I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has a better idea as to what's going on and how serious it might be?

(thank god she's still under warranty anyway)

Cheers guys :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The flashing of the Traction Control light is a by-product of the vibration not the cause.

Vibrations in the drive train make the gap between sensor and impulse wheel change. This induces a voltage, which switches on the traction control warning lamp.

So the issue is whats the cause, I'd guess the fuel delivery system is fauly, could be a simple sensor (cheap) or it could be a knackered fuel pump (not cheap) or a few things inbetween.

The autobox gear changes might be a by-product of the fuel problems if I'm right but I'll ask - has the ATF ever been changed or the filter?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Dont worry about traction control light, there is a strange warning system in the Passat, e.g. you get a engine failure warning and tell you to take to garage when the brake lights go out which is an all to often occurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Big Nelly wrote:
    Dont worry about traction control light, there is a strange warning system in the Passat, e.g. you get a engine failure warning and tell you to take to garage when the brake lights go out which is an all to often occurance.

I'd agree with this as a good starting point. If both brake light bulbs go on a Passat (sometimes only one) the cars on board diagnostics read this as a fault from the brake light switch, which logs 2 fault - one in the Engine Control Unit and the other in the ABS/ESP control unit. Usually replacing both brake light bulbs will sort this out. The strip light in the lower rear screen will probably be still working.

If all your brake lights are working and the ESP light is still on then it may be something more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

Kaiser2000 wrote:

I was driving in traffic at lunchtime when I felt her starting to shake a little at low revs. This got worse over the next few minutes and then the yellow triangular traction/ESP warning light came on on the dash. It felt almost as if it was about to cut out.

Brake light bulbs?

I'd go with Mike on this one. Either a sensor or knackered injector/fuel pump (one and the same thing if it is a PD engine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Haigh Maidhc! An bhuil tú bhuel?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Is it a UK import? Generally there is a major part of the brain located under the foot-well on the passenger side of the car. This can cause the symtoms as above. That can fill up with water due to blockages in the overflow for the A/C unit located behind the glove-box. Have seen it on 2 passat's this year. But both are UK Imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sorry for the delay in updating :)

Brought her up to the garage there on Tuesday afternoon and they put her on the computer and diagnosed a fuel injector problem, so had to bring her back yesterday and she was in for the afternoon but running great again now (in fact I think she's running a little better as she's even more "lively" in acceleration than she was before!) :)

All's well that ends well so. Glad it was covered or it'd have been about €300 he said...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Sorry for the delay in updating :)

Brought her up to the garage there on Tuesday afternoon and they put her on the computer and diagnosed a fuel injector problem, so had to bring her back yesterday and she was in for the afternoon but running great again now (in fact I think she's running a little better as she's even more "lively" in acceleration than she was before!) :)

All's well that ends well so. Glad it was covered or it'd have been about €300 he said...

Give it 2 month and you will have it wrote off or something else broke:p

Advertisement