Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Customs getting more stringent.

Options
  • 17-09-2006 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

US court ruled the last few days that US Customs can now take your laptop and view/copy everything off it without a search warrent or any probable cause. That includes any passwords.

The is also a current ongoing case where a US national and his son are being refused entry back into the US until they take a polygraph (they are in Pakistan). The US claims they trained in terrorist camps but have no proof of it. They are not being held/charged they are just being refused any tickets to the US despite having US citizenship.

Seems a bit unbelievable if you ask me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

This is one of those: things will have to get worse before they get better things isn't it. Its the new cold war only instead of being a communist its everyone who is the enemy apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I wish you'd link to those stories Hobbes.
    I didn't think there existed any laws which enabled the US government to deny entry to one of it's citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

RedPlanet wrote:
    I didn't think there existed any laws which enabled the US government to deny entry to one of it's citizens.

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20060829-105253-4551r.htm

Its because the kids uncle was recently convicted of supporting terrorism, and they suspect that the kid attended the same training camp. They have already said it is not legal to deny entry, but it seems the embassy is stopping airlines from selling them a ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Heres a link to the other story.

http://news.com.com/2100-1030_3-6098939.html

• Registered Users Posts: 55,093 ✭✭✭✭walshb

If proved that the two support terrorism and were training in these camps, damn right they should be refused entry. And if for whatever reason they were alowed access, then lock them up straight away. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

walshb wrote:
    If proved that the two support terrorism and were training in these camps, damn right they should be refused entry. And if for whatever reason they were alowed access, then lock them up straight away. :mad:

Thats great but its the "If proved" bit that US government seems to be side stepping in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I read another first hand report on another forum where this girl on holiday in greece got pulled aside for a random drug search and shes get stripped search in glass room in front of the other passengers and the security suddenly pulls her tampon out of privates and cuts it open. she felt like she been molested. people get screwed at all airports everyday in the name of 'security'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Wow Lostex that is a tad far, my grandad who is 70 has to be stripsearched right down to his undies because he has a foreign passport..

dont' suppose you can link me to that one?

I suppose she can't sue for the way she was treated because of "National Security" or some other bollocks. Every day I dislike the US more and more, I doubt I will ever visit that country of paranoia ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Customs are not supposed to do strip searches in front of other passengers. Certainly not in Greece. I've been there numerous times, I Don't recall ever seeing this glass window you speak of. Only thing I can think of is she was brought into the room where they have two way mirrors (you can see the passengers, they can't see you).

I'm all for innocent until proven guilty and everyone deserves a fair trial etc etc. But unfortunately since 9-11 the world has totally changed and has had to. Emergency measures were needed in the States. Remember it was the States that got obliterated on 9-11, Not Britain or Ireland or France etc. So who are we to dictate or criticise them for doing everything they can to prevent such events ever occurring again. Some might say they are OTT, but Isn't that what was needed on 9-11??.

They are not doing this to piss people off, though that's what it's doing for some people. They are doing it for the greater good of the country and if it works, fair play. If not, they will have to rethink

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Sgt. Sensible

walshb wrote:
    Remember it was the States that got obliterated on 9-11,
    No I don't remember the US getting obliterated.

Well Sgt, I'd go to the doctors to get that sorted. You may very well be suffering the onset of Alzheimers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

RedPlanet wrote:

are you for real
    the US government can do any thing it likes, hasn't that been proven time and time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If I recall correctly, they were attacked not obliterated. The jews during the Second World War were obliterated.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,343 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I read another first hand report on another forum where this girl on holiday in greece got pulled aside for a random drug search and shes get stripped search in glass room in front of the other passengers and the security suddenly pulls her tampon out of privates and cuts it open. she felt like she been molested. people get screwed at all airports everyday in the name of 'security'
    I presume you mean they cut open the tampon. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

walshb wrote:
    Remember it was the States that got obliterated on 9-11,

just read this now... obliterated ha... and that was the whole of America was it or just one building complex.

if one building is equal to been obliterated, i wonder what hurricane Katrina did for new orleans.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement