Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting lesbians friends in Dublin

Options
  • 17-09-2006 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello there,

I have recently moved to Dublin and would really like to meet other lesbians to talk to and make friends, I'm just wondering whats the best way of doing this in Dublin?

I was thinking about joining a group or something but could only find hiking and football, while i like watching footie i wouldn't be much help on the team! so joining wouldn't be so wise :(

Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I gotta say, i've never found the lesbian scene in dublin that accesible, especially if you don't fit into the classic "bull-dyke" or "lipstick" vibes... Which I don't.

Although your best bet might actually be somewhere like sapphicireland.com (Sorry in advance if i'm not meant to advertise other boards here) or if you're in college then sometimes the LGB societies can be good. I met all my lesbian friends through college, just none really through LGB societies!

Best of luck in it, either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,982 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey
    thanks so much you guys!! im gona give the outhouse a try on thursday night.

Yeah im sure sure wat i fit into a such too @ Zoegh, but hey ill see wat happens in the outhouse :) ill give that site a go too that you said thanks a mill :)

xx

iregal wrote: »
    Hello there,

I have recently moved to Dublin and would really like to meet other lesbians to talk to and make friends, I'm just wondering whats the best way of doing this in Dublin?

I was thinking about joining a group or something but could only find hiking and football, while i like watching footie i wouldn't be much help on the team! so joining wouldn't be so wise :(

Any ideas??
    hi im living in dublin to and im looking to meet other lesbians to ir u wanna meet wb

Hi, I will visit Dublin just for a week this coming August. And I wonder where to go if I just want to dance in a relaxed lesbian environment?

• Advertisement

There aren't any lesbian bars in Dublin. There are some womens nights in different clubs but it all depends on when you're coming really. You could possibly join the Running Amach group on meetup.com and see if anything is happening the week you're here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I find it impossible to meet lesbians/bi girls in Dublin! It's like they're all hiding/undercover. :P :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I think Outhouse might have a few groups meeting up on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sineadgero

I know it's hard to meet lesbians in Dublin, I'm not obviously gay and have absolutely no gaydar when it comes to women so I need all the help I can get.

I love sports and have found that I've met my closest lesbian friends have been through LGBT clubs and societies (not university) as opposed to pubs and clubs.

Here are the ones I know:

1) The Phoenix Tigers, www.phoenixtigers.com
    This a LGBT womens soccer team that meet once a week. They are a great group of girls and tend to go to the pub after a kick around. I am absolutely atrocious at soccer so I am testament that they accept all levels of players. If you don't feel comfortable just turning up, email them and they'll arrange someone to meet you beforehand and they'll introduce you to everyone.

2) The Dublin Frontrunner's, http://www.dublinfrontrunners.ie/
    They share a love of running, with a healthy and active social side. No matter what your athletic ability, you will find members to run and train with. Runs are usually followed by a social breakfast or pub grub nearby.

3) Out in Ireland, http://www.outinireland.net
    They've got Tennis, Badminton, Squash, Rowing and Team Ireland (not sure of this one as it's new to me but the website has further information)

4) Out and About, http://www.gay-hiking.org/
    They meet at 10.00am every Sunday outside the National Concert Hall in Earlsfort Terrace. It's sociable, fun and you get great company and scenery.

5) http://www.meetup.com/Dublin-LGBTQ-Womens-Social-Networking-Club/
    This is an online group that organise offline activities. It is quite an active group with over 700 members. This group is for WOMEN who identify as LGBTQ. It is a Social Club for adult women (must be over 18 years of age) who want to meet new people, develop new friendships, participate in common interest activities (the possibilities are endless), network, share resources, build 'a sense of community' and have a bit of Craic!

That's all that I can come up with at the moment :)

The best pub, and my fave, that I've found is The Front Lounge (I know, a bit of a cliché). The atmosphere is great, seats are comfy and you always bump into someone you know.

I didn't mean to write so much but just thought it would be nice to share :P Hope someone finds the info useful :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

iregal wrote: »
    Yeah im sure sure wat i fit into a such too @ Zoegh,
    xx

Who's Zoegh?

• Advertisement

Who's Zoegh?

My alter ego before I changed my name! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

My alter ego before I changed my name! :)

Did Ire gal know you before?

Did Ire gal know you before?

Well it was an unreg account, so I don't think so. "zoegh" was my nick on boards until actually not that long ago.

Hello all,
    I'm from France, I'm a lesbian, and I'll be coming to Dublin around St Patrick's festival next March.
    I don't know much about Dublin, I've been there only once and for a few hours, so I was wondering what the best place would be to meet people, make friends and have fun there ??
    If anybody would like to help me, that'll be great !
    Thanks !!
    See you in March !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 IsleLady

Hi! I'm moving to Dublin this September to live for a year while I do graduate work at Trinity. I'm friendly ad outgoing but have NO idea where to go! Help!? :)

Best,
    H

Hey H,

Your best bets will be Running Amach, the LGBT soc in TCD (tends to be mostly younger undergrads), or the Mature Student or Postgrad societies.

Hi ya its hard trying to meet lesbians im a lesbian wher are u from have u found a match yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1 HayleyLouise

Hi ya its hard trying to meet lesbians im a lesbian wher are u from have u found a match yet

Hey I just moved from Canada to Dublin and am trying to meet other lesbians. Are you in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭rere

Probably mentioned already but the meetup group runningamach is very active.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TheYoungWan

Hey I just moved from Canada to Dublin and am trying to meet other lesbians. Are you in Dublin?

Hi! I’m happy to meet some evening ( public place of course so you know I’m not an odd ball! )!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Is it normal to invite someone out on what is obviously a kind of date but with their friends? I'm finding it very common that some women seem to need a chaperone to go out with me, is it bizzarre or just me. Meeting the friends should come later, no?

We can meet up one to one, if you don't want any more to do with me after that then fine but don't bring your friend as a buffer or assessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Is it normal to invite someone out on what is obviously a kind of date but with their friends? I'm finding it very common that some women seem to need a chaperone to go out with me, is it bizzarre or just me. Meeting the friends should come later, no?

We can meet up one to one, if you don't want any more to do with me after that then fine but don't bring your friend as a buffer or assessor.

Lots of people just get really nervous meeting people for dates. I can understand why you find it annoying, but I know people personally who said they just couldn't do a first date alone, they said they just very badly need some other people there in case it gets awkward.
    I dont understand it personally and I think having friends on a first date would make me more nervous not less, but everyones different

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

wakka12 wrote: »
    Lots of people just get really nervous meeting people for dates. I can understand why you find it annoying, but I know people personally who said they just couldn't do a first date alone, they said they just very badly need some other people there in case it gets awkward.
    I dont understand it personally and I think having friends on a first date would make me more nervous not less, but everyones different

Yep I think I messed up last time because I told them that I didn't want to intrude when they were meeting a friend and wanted to catch up :rolleyes: You live and learn but it actually makes me feel more nervous to have someone else there, there probably will be awkward moments that's part and parcel of the experience if you are getting to know someone and really like them. Next time I will just say 'Hell yeah, bring the family'. Maybe I can recover the situation next time I meet them socially I don't know. On another occasion a friend asked me on a 'date' with them and another girl as a buffer because she didn't want it to be a date ah the tangled webs we weave!

Advertisement