Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spread betting!!!

Options
  • 14-09-2006 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else have an account?

I opened one and it easy as hell to be honest to win.
    You can do bet's and close them while its still on honestly it's very good if nobody here does it I would advise anyone would gambles and loses money learn about it and get an account I think its easy as hell.

Ok im not up millions I started with €200 I have 930.00 now.

Not millions but doing ok for my first week.

Would have over €1,150 if I didnt do PSG :(

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I've read your post and I have no idea what you're talking about. Can you elaborate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

I started doing spread betting, got account put €200 in I have 930 now.

Its real easy to win at it IMO I only started this week so yes it could go all wrong but for football matches its simple to win a few pound, you can do corners, or windex, proformance.

account-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I recently started dabbling again - it is good craic alright - but, very, very dangerous!!!
    I once lost €2000 inside 5 days - sometimes when you bet, you look at the stop loss and go - sure you'd never lose that much - but you can!
    Now I try and do low risk bets, with a high upside - say for example buy goal minutes for a player, eg nakamura last night, the quote was 2-4, i bought at 4 for €3, max loss €12, made up with €120 odd profit - much better than 1st/last goal scorer.
    Overall though there's much better value on betfair than on spreads. Look at your bet there on Wolves for example, you essentially bet €150 on wolves to beat leeds, the odds were circa: evs leeds, 9/4 draw and 5/2 wolves.
    Your bet would have returned €7.50 if Boothroyd had not scored in the 93rd min, if however you'd layed leeds at evs on betfair you have won €150, I'm pretty sure (without bothering with the maths) that your expected return via betfair is much better.
    And again, spreads are dangerous, good craic, but dangerous!!!
    And you must have been ****ting yourself when Sibierski scored after 10 mins.

Glenbhoy wrote:
    I recently started dabbling again - it is good craic alright - but, very, very dangerous!!!
    And again, spreads are dangerous, good craic, but dangerous!!!
    And you must have been ****ting yourself when Sibierski scored after 10 mins.

I did that bet on the 50min :eek: couldnt believe the odds I find thats the trick watch the match dont do bets before they start see how the game is going also I think great value in corners where you cant lose to much for example say it's the 70minute champions league qualifier lets say Derry and PSG say Derry is winning 1-0 70minute you will get odds on corners say they were 6 they rate 8-9 slam it on buy I know feck all corners tonight but when a good team is down no offence to Derry they will be attacking like mad a team for example like Derry would be more than happy to put it out for corner you would make alot of money that way IMO.

Yeah I agree it is risky but I dont really do very large bets anyways Im gonna keep this updated see how it goes I think its very easy though to be honest would never go back to bookmakers. I mean bookmakers in town.

Plus I done the wolves during match when they were playing good and thought they were the best choice to score. What a goal too I must say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

The Sportsman recommended a buy of Vennegoor of Hesselink's goal mins last night at something like 7, he made a lot of people very happy I'd say.

Does anyone do financial spread betting? Delta Index have a great little setup going on but the minimum deposit of 1000 quid puts me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

You couldn't have picked a worse crowd than sportsspread tbh.
    Load of us in work gave up using them as their prices were always
    wider then the UK spread betting companies, used to limit us on our bets as well on the Irish sports that they couldn't lay off.
    Nuf said.
    Never used Delta so no idea of how good or bad they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

can someone elaborate on this, sounds interesting but i dont understand it

but I dont really do very large bets anyways

The whole thing about spread betting is the amounts may be small but the wins/losses could be very large depending on the market and the s/l limits.

i.e.
    take any of the bets you did
    Sell West Ham Windex for 25 at 7 that could have made up at 25
    (probably unlikely but possible) and that would have been a loss of 450.

Shirts Tallin v Newcastle (not sure where the s/l is with sportsspread on that index) but for 20 at 27 and lets say s/l is 20 times (or 47) that's another 400 Euro possible.

Of course there's ups and downs and you have done very well so far
    but just in case people reading this are thinking it's a one way bet.

okidoki987 wrote:
    take any of the bets you did
    Sell West Ham Windex for 25 at 7 that could have made up at 25
    (probably unlikely but possible) and that would have been a loss of 450.

Shirts Tallin v Newcastle (not sure where the s/l is with sportsspread on that index) but for 20 at 27 and lets say s/l is 20 times (or 47) that's another 400 Euro possible.

Of course there's ups and downs and you have done very well so far
    but just in case people reading this are thinking it's a one way bet.

Oh im not saying youu lose but them bets like you said say Newcastle yes sorry should have stated what I could have lost like you said PROBABLY wouldn't happen but yes it is possible and like I said them bets with the shirts were all done during the game.

Im gonna start putting all by bet's here that I will be doing and keep it updated I might lose but I just think its easy enough.

(okidoki987)

Did they every refuse to pay out or anything or what was the limits to your bets. All I know is though you have to have enough money in your account to do the bets.

See what I mean im doing good and most of ye put me down :(

Ye bastards :p well hopefully I will have a good christmas :p

See what I mean im doing good and most of ye put me down
    Ye bastards well hopefully I will have a good christmas
    you have done very well so far
    ;)

I was just trying to point out that there are risks involved to anybody who didn't understand the logistics of how it's all done.

No they never refused to pay out, they just cut back our bet on a GAA match between Dublin and can't remember who.
    10 of us decided to have a punt on it for 20 a head so we were trying
    to do 200 Euro a point and they wouldn't take it.
    Think they did 20 for us in the end :mad:
    We lost 1 pip on the spread so we ended up losing 20 Euro.
    We never went back.

We were going to give them a deposit to cover 20 times spread which would have well covered us.

• Advertisement

I know what your saying but €200 a point is alot for them to take.

Didnt you say you lost by one point so if you did it you would have been down €200 but only lost 20 :confused: wasnt it a good thing they didnt take it?

Oh yeah sorry didnt really mean you in last post, anyone who wants to start should know the risks before they start if they were interested here is a webpage that examples alot on sports spread betting but doesnt all the issues as there are alost of different types of bets

http://www.sports-spread-betting.co.uk/tutorials.htm

Sell Hull performance 42 €20

Not looking to good now.

Didnt you say you lost by one point so if you did it you would have been down €200 but only lost 20 wasnt it a good thing they didnt take it

True but we were prepared to lose it.
    Never had a chance seeing as they wouldn't take it.
    They were the "bookie" if they don't take your full bet, don't bet with them.
    The worst thing you can do is bet with a "bookie" who won't take your full amount on something like that, not as if we were able to "fiddle the result" or anything like that.
    If they put the price up, they should have been able to take the bet,
    after all how do they make their money?
    By getting people to back on both sides of the spread and they make the difference.

Good luck with the Hull

lost back to €370 :(

Anytime I say its going good it goes bad.

Yeah okidoki I know what your saying.

Just watching Charlton match wouldn't say there would be many goals.

Sell shirts @ 30 for €14

H/T 0-0 If I wanted too I could close bet for €84 profit. Not bad for a few mins work? I think ill hold out on it though cant see many goals think Ports might nick one but hopefully still win decent few pound. If it finishes 0-0 I will win €420 if Ports come out flying score a few or even Charlton my money will be gone.

One thing I have to say though is when I do a bet it goes to phone trade which is very fecking annoying. Bet so far is €210 in the good. Lua Lua just came on his number is 32 :( thinking of stopping but sure only 25mins left think ill risk holding on.

I knew it he scored. Bet gone

Know the feeling.
    What I do sometimes is cover my stake so I have a FREE bet either way.
    i.e if it went 15 offered I'd take most of my stake back.
    Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.
    Normally only goes half the original price when the 90 minutes is getting close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Joe, nobody ever lost money taking a profit, remember too that sometimes you have to take a loss as well, holding on hoping for a turn in luck can be a disaster. Used to use SSI myself, they're okay, at least they have GAA markets, but I prefer the UK firms.

Do any of the UK firms accept bank transfer?

Lost 28 in last bet not alot so not doing to bad but could have been up 420.

I seen great odds IMO on a team today stuck the whole lot on it even went to bookies and put a nice amount on it. If it wins should get about €1500 if it loses :( but it wont I know it wont I would put my testicles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Think I'll stick to fixed-odds backing and laying. :)

Advertisement