Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian Unfriendly Crossings

Options
  • 13-09-2006 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Trying to cross the road at Grattan Bridge towards Parliament Street seems to take three to five minutes. If you are on the right hand side of the bridge travelling south the unwary should be told that there is no chance for them to cross at all.

Perhaps there should be signs in the city centre warning pedestrians that certain crossings are a waste of time and only encourage jaywalking.

Any other nominations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,350 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stephen's Green end of Leeson St.
    The crossing outside the Stephen's Green Centre has about a ten second red man time now, the trade-off is that there is a MUCH longer waiting time than before at this one.
    Also Dublin Buses have a nasty habit of amber gambling here (more like red gambling) when turning left onto Leeson St which results in a face full of bus if you step out as soon as the green man lights.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Dame St at Bank of Ireland.
    Watch the other side turn green as you wait... and wait... and wait... then you sprint across and it goes red just as you get there!

Also, this crossing has the 'countdown' thingy at it but it's turned off. WTF???

Are Dublin City Council conducting some sort of experiment using us as guinea pigs - after turning the countdowns on for a few months they then turn them off again to see if pedestrian accidents / deaths rise?

O'Connell Bridge (both ends) is also pretty dodgy. To diagonally cross the lot legally you'd be waiting for ages. The Bachelor's Walk crossing has nothing like enough space, with crowds almost spilling out into the path of speeding trucks centimetres away...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

ninja900 wrote:
    Stephen's Green end of Leeson St.
    The crossing outside the Stephen's Green Centre has about a ten second red man time now, the trade-off is that there is a MUCH longer waiting time than before at this one.
    Also Dublin Buses have a nasty habit of amber gambling here (more like red gambling) when turning left onto Leeson St which results in a face full of bus if you step out as soon as the green man lights.
    Not many people actually wait for the green man here, in fact Im surprised nobody has been killed yet, Ive never amber gambled, No need really as you never have to wait long here if your turning left onto leeson street, but I have noticed that after I have begun to turn then had to stop half way through to avoid the jaywalker the lights have changed and I havent completed the turn before green man appears, maybe this helps you see why buses are still turning when green man comes?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The pedestrian crossing on the arrivals road in Dublin Airport is quite dangerous IMO. I'm surprised no one has been killed there yet. Pedestrians continue to cross when the 'red man' shows and taxis and buses amber gamble constantly. It should be relieved a lot though when the current bus stop areas are relocated to the rear of the short term car park.
    ninja900 wrote:
    a face full of bus
    LOL :D

(My 1,000th post :))

spareman wrote:
    Not many people actually wait for the green man here, in fact Im surprised nobody has been killed yet
    As regards the surprise, me too. Yes people chance crossing on the red man but isn't that the whole point of this thread? To identify crossings where pedestrians (the very lowest form of life in this city) are treated like dirt / kept waiting for ridiculous lengths of time.
    Ive never amber gambled, No need really as you never have to wait long here if your turning left onto leeson street, but I have noticed that after I have begun to turn then had to stop half way through to avoid the jaywalker the lights have changed and I havent completed the turn before green man appears, maybe this helps you see why buses are still turning when green man comes?

You may not, but some do, and one doing it is one too many.
    Shortly before the Stephen's Green traffic was changed, I was nearly creamed by a bus blatantly breaking a red light. What happens now is not breaking a 'solid' red like before, but refusing to stop on amber when there is plenty of time to do so (as the rules of the road demand) in the full knowledge that before the bus has cleared the turn the green man will be lit. That's still not on imho.
    Amber means STOP!!! unless it is unsafe to do so. I think DB really needs to emphasise to drivers (some drivers) that taking risks with pedestrians isn't on.

Edit: what really p***es me off about what goes on at this junction, is the fact that chances are taken because it's "only" pedestrians whose right of way is being violated. If it were a stream of vehicular traffic then I'm pretty sure that fewer liberties would be taken there.
    Although the right turn from Harolds X Bridge onto SCR is notorious for buses forcing their way through on red...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Christchurch is 4.5 minutes.
    ninja900 wrote:
    Although the right turn from Harolds X Bridge onto SCR is notorious for buses forcing their way through on red...
    I haven't noticed it, although there is an error in the cycle. Coming into the city centre from Harold's Cross, the main green light turns red, a green right filter then comes on a few seconds later.

Separately bus traffic coming from the city centre via Kelly's Corner has the habit of mounting the kerb when turning onto Clanbrassil Street Upper.

Advertisement