Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Spiritual' Book club

Options
  • 13-09-2006 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Hi all,

In line with the charter for this particular thread - I'd like to renew my book-club if there are people interested!?!

The book-club meets on a monthly bases at 1 regular location and a book is chosen in advance of each evening! The only hard and fast rule is that the book must be spiritual in genre...e.g the way of the wizard etc etc...

We meet to discuss our feelings, share opinions and ideas and choose the next book for the following month.

A contribution is asked just to cover the expense of the place we happen to be in...and if tea & coffee can be made there....all the better!

The book club ran for 9 months in 2005/2006 @ the angel complementary therapy centre, Glasnevin, but had to temp suspend due to those pesky work commitments! New location considered!

Interested?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

Hi Surion

While I am interested to share more books in this area I would not be able to commit to regular meetings as such. Would it be possible to discuss the books online in the forum also ?

Select a book; each person applies marks out of 10 and lists likes and dislikes.
    That way even those who have already read said book can offer commentary.

Cheers,
    Chopper

incidentally what would you class as a 'Spiritual' Book ?

Would you include/exclude any of the following areas:
    - Personal stories like Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
    - Selfhelp books like Ask & It Is Given by Jerry Hicks and Esther Hicks
    - Modern Parables' like The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Great idea Surion. Unfortunatly, like Chopper, the way things are at the moment I wouldn't really be able to commit to regular meetings, so I was going to suggest some kind of online aspect too. The downside of doing it online of course is that you don't really get to meet people and talk things over as well. Maybe do a little of both, i.e. have the monthly meetings, but also have a thread here so that others who can't make the meetings can participate in some way, or even just use it to find a good book ?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies. Have been away for my own work for last couple of weeks. I think the online format is really interesting as a comination, although focus would be 'in person'. But certainly worthy of a specific thread, and the online comments could be brought along as part of the discussion 'n' vice versa!

I guess it's not possible for everyone to be there every month - but I'm hoping to rouse enough interest that a good steady following develops. So guys - after this week I'll be putting things in motion again, so let everyone you know, know!

As to what is considered 'spiritual' - I guess thats really an open book (excuse the pun). Maybe I ment books we learn something from or existentially move us(excuse the big word). Maybe an Existential book club LOL. We have already included the Prophet, which was quite a successful review, everyone enjoyed it. That said, there were some books that got a bad consensus! But all very interesting, and some views on books change after it's opened to the floor.

It's up to everyone to make suggestions - at one stage we threw all ideas into a pot and had different person select title . It's all easy going really.

Of any help? When I get details together will open forum up here and of course let you know first.

Any other ideas suggestions etc would be REALLY appreciated.
    thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not start with a title which advailible on line for people to read ?
    something off www.sacred-texts.com maybe ?

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    OK, I've worked out the venue (Drumcondra, 2 doors from the canal) - it's going to be Wednesdays and prob around the mid-part of each month (poss the 2nd wed each month!).

I don't imagine that December will be a popular month - so the inaugural date for the club in 2007 will be Wed Janaury 10th (as above).

To get the ball rolling the first book will be Deepak Chopra - Power, Grace and Freedom. I would welcome everyones comments and promise to disseminate the views posted here at the group (and vice versa if it's not a total head wreck writing everything down! LOL) but I WILL get something up here as a response.

I would really like to know what you like/dont like about the text, was it good, did it deliver on its purpose or exceed it. Was there any special learning in it for you pos or neg? Can you give me your favourite quote (or two) for any reason? Would you recommend it and for who? Is it a 'world' book with poss global acceptance or to select few...any other q's you could ask?

So you're all invited (and all your friends too! Infact everyone you know!) on the 10th. Again I would welcome a few suggestions for the next meeting so people can know it in advance!

Finally - anyone tell me if it is possible to set up a book club heading rather than a thread under spirituality?

Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you...

I'll try to pick up a copy of this over Christmas however I'm in the middle of reading The Grand Design series by Patrick Francis right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Very interesting idea, althought I do think face to face meetings would be much better, perhaps a sub-forum in the spiritual forum would be a good idea.

thanks Chopper! Always like to hear what people think. Chopra is one of my favourite writers - so always interested to hear peoples views on his writing!! Paddy's stuff hasn't come up for previous meetings of the 'club' - not so sure about some of it myself, interesting as I just wrote those previous secntences!

Maybe if/when you come along you could suggest that for inclusion on a particular month?

And Hi Gillo - naturally you would be more than welcome to join us...the more the merrier and I really think something like this has much merit. (so again tell everyone! Not a profit making exercise or anything!) Any idea how to start a sub forum???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Hi,

looks good that it might be going ahead. Regarding the books, I don't want to break any rules about advertising or anything but I have found Cygnus Books to be fairly good for getting books relatively cheaply. If this breaks any forum rules please feel free to edit/delete as appropriate. I have no links to them other than as a satisfied customer. Either that or maybe someone could approach some other bookseller and say that we are running a book club and could they give a discount to members.

• Advertisement

Hi Lost!!
    Cool idea, should have mentioned that I already did this with another bookseller, and they were really open to the idea. I got a good percentage (depending on the book, up to 10% off) when buying a few books together.

The only drawback there was that I would be responsible for getting the books on a monthly basis (ultimately why we picked two books in advance). The shop I sued to use has moved in last couple of weeks, perhaps now they would be open to allowing us have an account where individuals could go in in stead of me!

Date is definate for the Mon 10th January, 2006. Above hair Salon, Drumcondra (beside canal).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Is this still going ahead??

gillo wrote:
    Is this still going ahead??

Sorry Gilo - I got way laid with work and had to travel out of the country. It didn't go ahead as a result. Had hoped to generate a little more interest. But am not deterred....looking for/at venue again!!!

:o

Advertisement