Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Shops in London

Options
  • 13-09-2006 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with guitar shops in london. I'll be there for the weekend, can anyone recommed a cheap place for effects?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Denmark Street (AKA Tin Pan Alley) has many guitar/music shops. Be aware that 5 of the shops in that street are owned by one company. Not particularly cheap but I think they are generally open for negotiation. There a few good second hand places if you have your wits aboout you. Tottenham Court is the nearby tube station. Its at the Eastern end of Oxford Street under a very visible sky scraper named Centerpoint (you can see that from anywhere in Oxford St)

Other good places in easy walking distance that Feylya mentioned one time are downstairs in teh Virgin Megastore in Oxford St nearest to Tottenham Court (big, lots of stuff seems to be geared towards high volume lower end stuff, might be best bet for cheap effects) and a place called (I think) Soundgear which if you head from Tottenham Court Road tube station south along Charing Cross road towards Denmark St keep going past it for a few blocks and its on a corner (has a lot of DJ stuff in teh windows), instuments are upstairs. Same side as Denmark St.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

OK went there a year or 2 ago and i searched far and wide and i personally think that the soho soundhouse was the best shop around, not really cheap esp with the currency conversion but a great place to try out the guitar of your dreams or somthing that you wouldnt find locally before ordering off the net.cant remember where it was but im sure its on the net somewhere.

Tell em youve got a load of money to spend and try out a prs, i did and i must say it was the best experiance of my life, i highly recomend it.

SoHo Soundhouse is the place I was referring to as "Soundgear" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

ok dont shoot i dont know any technical termage mr.storm. i apollogise.

Patricide wrote:
    ok dont shoot i dont know any technical termage mr.storm. i apollogise.

What I was trying to say was: you were right, I was wrong. :o
    Like you said, "Soho Soundhouse" is the real name of the place and as you say it's well worth a visit. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement