Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare rail project what difference will it make

Options
  • 13-09-2006 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

Athlone commuters are still subject to getting a dawn run at 06.27 t get to Dublin before nine. A recent email to IE asking what difference will the new tracking make see http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/projects/fact_sheet.asp I got the following response (or non response depends how you read it)

Email sent via the Ie web site link
    to kildareproject@irishrail.ie
    Subject: What will this project mean for Athlone commuters
    When the four tracks are complete will there be an express service in the morning from Athlone which will be non stop from Tullamore? Leaving Athlone at a later time than the current dawn run of 0627?

Reply received yesterday:

Following the introduction of the 4 tracking and the introduction of Intercity Railcars on the Westport and Galway Routes, which will come into service over 2007 & 2008 there will be an increase in service level for Athlone/Tullamore Commuters.
    Timetabling for this is still in the planning stage and we would not be in a positon to commit times at this early stage but the service level will increase significantly for these stations.

Kind Regards,

I really don't mind them not giving a timetable at this stage, but surely as a company they must have some idea of what they are going to provide, why can't they just say we are hoping to provide an express service from Athlone/Tullamore departing Athlone at about 7.15 arriving about 8.45. No one is going to pin them to a wall in a year of two and say this is what you said... In the meantime I guess anyone from Athlone continues with the Red Eye at 06.27

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

You see the truth, which isnt mentioned on IE website, is that the Kildare Railway Project isnt been build so that more Commuter services can be provided. It is being built so that when the Interconnector is finished, the DART service running from Balbriggan to Hazlehatch will be separate from Intercity & Commuter services. The fact that between now and then, some commuter service will benefit is really just a side-effect.

It is possible if IE got off their backside for a Athlone Commuter service to use Athlone to Mullingan Line which is currently been used for freight only, then a Athlone service can use the Sligo line instead of the busy Kildare Line. However you still have to wait for Spencer Dock Station to be completed for capacity to be available for this to happen.

I’m sorry to say that either way, you’ll have to wait a few years before anything will be done. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

weeham

think you're wrong about Athlone-Mullingar being cleared for freight. Last I heard only inspection cars have been down that line in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

weehamster wrote:
    Athlone to Mullingan Line which is currently been used for freight only(
    Not even used for freight - it's just sitting there..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,774 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes, the Mullingar-Athlone line is closed :(

The primary purpose of the Hazelhatch quad track project is to improve things for the local people, at the moment with the twin track line, an Intercity train takes up 3 local train slots due to the difference in speed between express and local services.

My understanding is that demand on the Kildare service is way over capacity at this point, and it needs substantial improvement. However long distance services should see more frequency as extra track capacity is added and freed up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Anyone know if work has started on the KRP? According to this it was supposed to start last month, May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭embraer170

A lot of clearing has been done over the past two months so I guess it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Weren't the last batch (33 cars) of new trains ordered slated for Athlone services?

Athlone/Tullamore services should also stop at Portarlington and Kildare to provide early morning services to the South / South West.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I really think that anyone commuting from Athlone to Dublin needs to take a step back and think about what they're doing. I realise you may have to do it, but there has to be something better than commuting that distance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I really think that anyone commuting from Athlone to Dublin needs to take a step back and think about what they're doing. I realise you may have to do it, but there has to be something better than commuting that distance :(

Totally agree with that. Just how far are IE meant to be put on commuter services to/from Dublin? If I move to the Tory Island, will they put a line on for me?

I think there was a piece in the Times on Tuesday (editorial maybe) where they mentioned the reopening of Broadstone bringing more services to/from Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

spacetweek wrote:
    Anyone know if work has started on the KRP? According to this it was supposed to start last month, May.

Work started last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement