Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brain Teaser (The full version!)

Options
  • 12-09-2006 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭

OK here it is, see if you can figure it out... Give your reasons why

Brainteaser:The Stolen Secret Code
    Super cipher expert Crypto Cat™ discovered at 9 pm last night that one of her secret codes was stolen from the crypto lab at home. She knows it could have been anyone, however Crypto Cat remembers that three of her closest friends visited the house last night:

Friend 1: Slate
    Friend 2: Joules
    Friend 3: D. Dog

She tells us the visits occurred at 6:45 pm, 7:20 pm, and 8:25 pm. During each visit, Crypto Cat and her friend removed the code from the safe, reviewed the coding procedures, and locked it back in the safe.

At 9 pm, Crypto Cat went to the safe to use the code to create a message - only to find a blank sheet of paper!! The true code had been stolen and replaced with a fake code written in disappearing ink. In her distress of losing the code, Crypto Cat can't remember who visited at what time, but she does remember these conversations.

"Say, I 'm really thirsty. Could you get me some water?"

"Ouch, I just cut my finger on that paper. Do you have a band aid?"

"Man, I'm soaked to the fur from the downpour. Can I have a towel?"

Unfortunately, Crypto Cat can't remember who she had each conversation with, however, she does remember these three things:

1. Friend 1 visited before the girl who said "Say, I'm really thirsty. Could you get me some water?"

2. The boy who said "Man, I'm soaked to the fur from the downpour. Can I have a towel?" visited after the girl.

3. Crypto Cat has used the same disappearing ink for codes before and knows it disappears exactly 2 hours after it is written.

Using the clues, which friend stole the secret code?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Do you want answers in this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Friend 1 methinks. That Slate fella looks mighty suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hell yeah, and reasons :)

I can't get it, although im not trying all that hard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Crypto Cat has obviously been drinking and should not be entrusted with the supervision of the safe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭wba88

Newaglish wrote:
    Crypto Cat has obviously been drinking and should not be entrusted with the supervision of the safe
    i full heartedly agree. whoever left Crypto Cat with the safe is the real guilty person here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Should this not be in Puzzles and Quizzes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

http:*//www.nsa.gov/kids/games/games00023.*cfm

remove the stars

Im just class!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bit easy.

If it disappears 2 hours after writing it, then the person who visited at 6.45pm did it.

Look at the other two clues:

1. Friend 1 visited before the girl who said "Say, I'm really thirsty. Could you get me some water?"
    So we know that Friend 1 (Slate) definitely didn't visit last. So he must have visited at 6.45 or 7.20. By extension we also know that the girl must have visited either at 7.20 or 8.25.

2. The boy who said "Man, I'm soaked to the fur from the downpour. Can I have a towel?" visited after the girl.
    Using our outcome above, if the girl visited at either 7.20 or 8.25, but someone came after her, then she must have visited at 7.20. By extension this means that Slate visited at 6.45 since he visited before the girl.

So Slate did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

It's fairly straightforward. We are told:

- Slate visits before the girl who asks for water
    - The boy who asks for the towel follows the girl

i.e. the order is Slate (6.45), thirsty-girl(7.20) and towel-boy (8.25)

Slate came at 6.45pm. If the ink takes 2 hours to disappear, and the page Crypto Cat find is blank, the switch cannot have been made after 7pm. Therefore the 6.45pm visitor, Slate, is the onewhodunnit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Had a bit of a think about it, its fairly easy alright :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bubthatub

it is friend one because its so bloody easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

No no no... Slate is innocent, it was professor plum in the library with the candlestick!!
    ok maybe it was slate.
    What kind of name is slate anyway?? :rolleyes:

Advertisement