Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Actors in Different Shows/Movie Roles That Disturbed You

Options
  • 11-09-2006 2:10pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else had an occasion where they see an actor that they're used to from some TV show over a number of years, appear in a very different role in some other show/movie that disturbed you because it was so different?

This came about when watching the recent 'Nip/Tuck' Season 4 opener where I saw a guest appearance by Tracy Scoggins who, to me, is Captain Lochley from 'Babylon 5'. A nice, professional captain but here she was:
    involved in a threesome, with Troy and her flipping daughter!
    Lochley shouldn't be doing that! That was disturbing almost!

Or, in 'Thief' where the actress who plays Sharona in "Monk" was
    getting kinky with one of the gang and showing far too much flesh for what her character means to me

The most disturbing example, by a long way, is the actor who plays Bellick in "Prison Break". He appears in the film "Ken Park" where *shudder* :
    We get to see him actually urinating and molesting his teenage son.
    . That's so wrong...

Anyone else have this where a character's memories become mired by the actor's appearance elsewhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

I suppose the only one I can remember is Christopher Lloyd. From the
    harmless (and clueless) Jim Ignatowski in "Taxi" to the Klingon Captain
    ordering deaths of hostages and trying to pick up Doo***ay weapons.
    Nasty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Couldn't take John Lithgow seriously as the baddie in Cliffhanger because I knew him too well from Third Rock From The Sun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 durandal

Jimmy Fallon in band of brothers. Jimmy Fallon's face. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The guy who plays Ecko in Lost plays a completely nuts character called Adebisi in Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Martin Platt turned up in Dalziel and Pascoe last night. Could'nt take him seriously, kept expecting him to wail "Oh Gail"

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

ixoy wrote:
    This came about when watching the recent 'Nip/Tuck' Season 4 opener where I saw a guest appearance by Tracy Scoggins who, to me, is Captain Lochley from 'Babylon 5'. A nice, professional captain but here she was:
    involved in a threesome, with Troy and her flipping daughter!
    Lochley shouldn't be doing that! That was disturbing almost!

Now see I could never take Scoggins seriously as Lochley because to me she was annoying Kat from Lois & Clark, The New Adventures of Superman. ;)

I could absolutely not take Sarah Michelle Gellar seriously in I Know What You Did Last Summer. In the scene where she's been chased by the killer I kept waiting for her to kick butt. God that was a stupid movie, I read the book when I was about 14 and it wasn't bad, but what a stupid movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,818 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The guy who plays Ecko in Lost plays a completely nuts character called Adebisi in Oz.
    Yep, agreed!

But i for one can never look at Jonah Jameson (Daily Bugel publisher) in the 'Spiderman' films again without thinking of Vern Schillinger..! :eek:

And i also used to watch Lee Tergesen as Chett on the TV series of 'Weird Science' - so quite a contrast to Beecher in Oz. Actually, i read a funny quote by Lee Tergesen the other day:
    "Before I did Weird Science I definitely wasn't thinking, 'Oh my God, I'd LOVE to do a series for four years where I got to be a loud, obnoxious, militaristic as*hole!' And certainly when I finished that, I didn't think, 'Oh man, if I could play a lawyer-turned-convict who gets anally raped and learns to love it...'"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

After seeing Veronica Guerin, I can't watch Gerard McSorley(?) in anything cos he scared me so much in that film. I can't even watch him as Todd Umptious in Fr. Ted anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I'm sure I wont be able to watch Robert Knepper in anything after Prison Break without thinking of everyones favourite inbred spawn pantomime villian T-Bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Never really watched Lost but he was brilliant as Adebisi in Oz, real menacing bastard.

Rob De Niro, its funny to see him play an utter psycho (though a calm one) in the likes of Goodfellas or Taxi Driver, but to play a likeable loser in, say, hilarious comedies like Midnight Run.

Law and Order is the best when it comes to its many actor links with Oz. JD Whatshisname transformed from evil racist Nazi rapist Vern Schillinger to calm, collectyed psychologist in Law and Order. Ive seen Alvarez, Schillinger, Ryan O`Reilly, Fr Mukada, Guerra (that was his name? The real slimy lookin Hispanic with the moustache who hated Alvarez, havent seen Oz in 2 years now). They all turn up eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

basquille wrote:
    YBut i for one can never look at Jonah Jameson (Daily Bugel publisher) in the 'Spiderman' films again without thinking of Vern Schillinger..! :eek:

And i also used to watch Lee Tergesen as Chett on the TV series of 'Weird Science' - so quite a contrast to Beecher in Oz. Actually, i read a funny quote by Lee Tergesen the other day:

all good examples of contrasting characters

the quote made me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Mossy Monk wrote:
    all good examples of contrasting characters

the quote made me lol

Thing about Oz is that almost every inmate character was pure evil; therefore seeing them in other ‘non-evil’ roles is a bit strange

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Saw that small guy from Carnivale (the manager) and Twin Peaks (the dream sequences) on Charmed the other day, playing a leprachaun. I guess he needed the paycheck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

another from Oz
    Christopher Meloni who played Chris Keller
    now can be seen playing Detective Elliot Stabler in Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

i think all these Oz examples show how good they all are as actors. its part of what made Oz so enjoyable. convincingly evil in Oz, convincingly good in whatever they did afterwards

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

basquille wrote:
    But i for one can never look at Jonah Jameson (Daily Bugel publisher) in the 'Spiderman' films again without thinking of Vern Schillinger..! :eek:

I can't look at him without thinking of M&M's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Those of you who watch the next episode of Scrubs on RTE will notice a certain Prison Break actor playing a character very different to their PB characted:)

gustavo wrote:
    Those of you who watch the next episode of Scrubs on RTE will notice a certain Prison Break actor playing a character very different to their PB characted:)
    Ah... would it be
    Kellerman?

:D

Was practically unrecognisable in Scrubs with all that facial hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

gustavo wrote:
    I'm sure I wont be able to watch Robert Knepper in anything after Prison Break without thinking of everyones favourite inbred spawn pantomime villian T-Bag

I agree! I watched an interview with some of the Prison Break actors, and they said that when he goes out with his family, people are actually scared of him. I suppose it's a sign of how good an actor he is.

When I watched Band of Brothers I just couldn't accept David Schwimmer. It was like watching Ross dress up in a uniform and pretend to be a soldier!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

basquille wrote:
    Ah... would it be
    Kellerman?

:D

Was practically unrecognisable in Scrubs with all that facial hair.

What episode number is it?

Faerie wrote:
    When I watched Band of Brothers I just couldn't accept David Schwimmer. It was like watching Ross dress up in a uniform and pretend to be a soldier!

I actually really liked him in that. Thought he acted it really well.

Stekelly wrote:
    What episode number is it?
    Episode 21 - My Fallen Idol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Right. at the risk of showing my age... Robert Englund.

Firstly, Freddie Kruger. Then, the nerdy alien in V. Just didn't work.

I remember seeing Leslie Nielsen in an old episode of "Murder She Wrote" playing it serious. I kept expecting something to fall on him or a car to come through a brick wall...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

Can't take Hugh Laurie seriously at all in House. That accent is just too off-putting, Keep getting memories of Blackadder The Third and Blackadder Goes Forth!

Advertisement