Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music, Multimedia and Performance Technology course in UL...

Options
  • 10-09-2006 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hello I have accepted this course as part of the CAO but I am however awaiting the results of an interview in another college. Depending on how the interview goes, I could be going to Limerick to attend this course. So...I am thus interested.

I have never done music in school (theory etc). I mean I can't read it and I know n real theory as such. I can however play the guitar quite well. Although I have never studied music, I am musically orientated so I am obviously passionate about the art. Granted, I know the course this year is new, but would I have to know how to read music (theory or otherwise) to get through this course? To have any background of music is not a requirement on the prospectus but I am wary of my inabilities and how it may affect my performance throughout the year.

Secondly... is there anyone here that has actually done the course? If so, what's it like?

Thanks in advance for any reply or advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Ok first thing is no... noone will have done the course already as this is the first year. However there are a few people here who have stuided the masters version of the course (me included) who might be able to help you.

The masters is geared more towards technology than music and so reading music skills etc was not such a big issue.

What I would say is that the people on the interview panel would have asked you all the questions they would feel relevant and presumably asked for your music background and all that. I presume it was Jurgen Simpson and maybe Niall Griifith who interviewed you? If you are offered the place then they will have made that decison having taken your abilties into account. if they feel you are up to it then you shouldnt worry. I am sure you will pick up what you need to know as the course progresses.

Best of luck, I hope you get the place as I think this will be a really really great course. Let us know and if you have any specific questions ask away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

440Hz wrote:
    I presume it was Jurgen Simpson and maybe Niall Griifith who interviewed you?

Niall Griffith has been missing since the start of Feburary and according to another lecturer it seems unlikely he'll be back. Although this may have changed in the intervening time. As far as I know he hasn't been involved in any work since then.

Good luck with the course Gyre.

Cheers
    Rory

rmacm wrote:
    Niall Griffith has been missing since the start of Feburary and according to another lecturer it seems unlikely he'll be back. Although this may have changed in the intervening time. As far as I know he hasn't been involved in any work since then.

I am aware of that alright!!

That is true, HOWEVER on paper he is the course director for this new undergraduate course, so it is likely that he is still involved in the interview phase. I dont know what capacity he is/isn't return to comp sys or mus tech courses but at the moment the undergraduate course is still officially his tendor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Gyre

Hey, thanks so much for the advice and support. Strangely enough,however, I have not been asked for an interview and the course starts fairly soon. I was just offered a place via CAO and there was nothng mentioned about an interview. I really hope there isn't an interview because it seems tha every course I aim for requires one of those god darn things. I'm expecting that I'll get stuff from the college in the post tomorrow as the orientation day will begin the 13th. Surely an interview at this stage is out of the question??

I just presumed there was an interview for this course as there is for the masters, but if you have not heard about one by now then seems there is none.

In that case, I would imagine that they are not too set on having prerequisites such as music reading skills.. most likely this will all be covered in the first semester of the course I guess. Either way, I think you will really like if if you end up taking it... all the best with it. hope you get whichever course you really want anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Gyre

Again, thanks for all your help and for having the courtesy to reply. Tomorrows post will make the decisions for me as I'm getting the interview results tomorrow. Thanks again.
    Mark

http://www.myspace.com/neonsundisorder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Hi Gyre,

I'm just finishing the masters in mustech course and its *possible* that I'll be sticking around to do more research and maybe some tutoring for your course. I wouldn't worry about your background, I assume everyone in your class will have a mixed range of skills and talents. There were no interviews for the course this year because the lecturers are frantically trying to organise everything else but there will be in future years.

Theoretical musical knowledge isn't at all that important, as long as you're passionate about music and you can bring some other sort of skill to the table. AFAIK ye'll be taught notation and some basic music theory in semester 2.

Best of luck with it, if you do accept the course. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions I might be able to answer.

Advertisement