Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus route 27

Options
  • 09-09-2006 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭

Was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes the 27 bus, that leaves from talbot street to arrive at northside shopping centre?

The cie website doesn't mention coolock at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Depends on traffic really, maybe between 30-45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

Again depending on the time of day and what day of the week but I'd 30 mins.

Have to say I hate that bus route, apparently they had the 27 Flyer which didnt take the detours that the 27 takes now behind the back of Lidl on the Malahide Rd..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Hamndegger wrote:

not helpful at all, doesnt mention coolock anywhere :rolleyes:

I'd be getting it monday-friday before 9am, so surely the traffic would be ok considering most vehicles are going IN to the city, rather than out??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

The 27b takes about about 35-40 minutes in heavy traffic and drops you a 5 minute walk from Northside (jct Kilmore rd & Kilbarron rd or jct Dundaniel rd & Coolock Lane).

Edit: Since you're getting it before 9, there 27b at 0745 and 805 serving Clonshaugh Ind. Est which takes a different route to Harristown and passes right by Northside. I think it takes about 25-30 minutes, possibly less because it skips a big part of the route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I'd be getting it monday-friday before 9am, so surely the traffic would be ok considering most vehicles are going IN to the city, rather than out??

Sorry about that, but it does mention "An Chúlóg" as being served by said route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭daymobrew

route 27 wrote:
    Operated by CLONTARF Depot. Telephone (01)703 4616
    The garage can probably give you decent information.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,764 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Depending on traffic it'll take you about 25-30 mins to get from Talbot street to Northside.

The 27 "Flyer" was the Cityswift brand name (similar to the Stillorgan Flyer on the southside) introduced in 1996 when the 27, 27A and 42C were almagamated into the new Route 27.

In my opinion this was a mistake as it left a gap in the area that the former 27A served between Northside and Beaumont Hospital, the stretch between the top of Glin Road and the corner where it now turns up to Aldi previously served by the old 27, and between the UCI and the Darndale Roundabout that was served by the 42C.

Essentially they removed 2 routes from the Coolock area - and significantly increased journey time - all to facilitate the (then new) Claire Hall development (which already had the 42 and 43 running past it) but then Coolock/Darndale traditionally (yes I'm generalising but I lived in the area for 14 years so I also know it's partly true) has an anti-social problem, poorly educated population, and low voter turnout so "doesn't count" (probably also why there is no other form of public transport - LUAS, DART, Metro etc - nor is there ever likely to be, in the area).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Depending on traffic it'll take you about 25-30 mins to get from Talbot street to Northside.

The 27 "Flyer" was the Cityswift brand name (similar to the Stillorgan Flyer on the southside) introduced in 1996 when the 27, 27A and 42C were almagamated into the new Route 27.

In my opinion this was a mistake as it left a gap in the area that the former 27A served between Northside and Beaumont Hospital, the stretch between the top of Glin Road and the corner where it now turns up to Aldi previously served by the old 27, and between the UCI and the Darndale Roundabout that was served by the 42C.

Essentially they removed 2 routes from the Coolock area - and significantly increased journey time - all to facilitate the (then new) Claire Hall development (which already had the 42 and 43 running past it) but then Coolock/Darndale traditionally (yes I'm generalising but I lived in the area for 14 years so I also know it's partly true) has an anti-social problem, poorly educated population, and low voter turnout so "doesn't count" (probably also why there is no other form of public transport - LUAS, DART, Metro etc - nor is there ever likely to be, in the area).

The city swift was introduced in 1996 on the new 27 route but the name malahide road flyer came a couple of years later along with the fingal flyer the lucan flyer and the stillorgan flyer all of which were stupid ideas as it restricted the use of the buses to those routes and were they had to be used on other routes caused confusion amongst the travelling public.

3 routes were almagamated into one route with a massive increase in the frequency of the new route a bus every 7 minutes from 7am to 7 pm plus the route gets the newest buses available Darndale was directly linked to the Northside shopping centre with a bus every 7 minutes.

At the time the hospital was still served by the now scrapped 101 and the 42A now serves the darndale glin road over by Northside and into Beaumount Hospital.

Yes there was an increase in journey time for some people but with a huge increase in the level of service. And it is untrue that the 42 and 43 served the clarehall area it is quite a walk from the malahide road down into the estate and the 42 and 43 would never have been able to cope with the thousands of new residents given that they were full by the time they got to there in the morning anyway.

To paint the 27 service as the people of Darndale been done over because they are poor and dont vote is plainly wrong given the massive resources public transport wise that have been put into the area

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Thanks for the help guys, you think I could manage to get the 27 at around 8.20-8.30 to coolock arriving before 9? Dont wanna chance being late tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,159 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If I were you and it was important that I be there on time, I'd get it at 8 or just after and see how long it takes. If it takes only 25 minutes, so be it, no big deal to be early and you can adjust your time other days.

Advertisement