Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stargate: Atlantis - 3x08 - McKay and Mrs. Miller [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 09-09-2006 1:42pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Intruiging name! Wonder if it's any good - whaddya think?

What Did You Think of Stargate: Atlantis - 3x08 - McKay and Mrs. Miller? 28 votes

At last Atlantis is at an Amazing Instance
    0%
    Good fun et cetera had by moi
    28%
    VenomMr EKevokCatsmokinpotixoyDingChavezalastair_doomdeman 8 votes
    Average Atlantean
    57%
    IvanPugsleyGerardKeatingWintersVultureJohnKthe-gingUser45701thelordofcheeseOmegaRedsenordingdongIompairAnCapaillMorKojakThe_Ministerafino 16 votes
    Poor enough *shrug*
    10%
    azezilcregsersmithy1981 3 votes
    Woeful! Begone vile beast lest you tar my soul
    3%
    Surion 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

enjoyed it even if not a great deal happened (well apart from the one big thing :p ).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Average Atlantean
    Not bad. Be interesting to see where they go with it now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

B-K-DzR wrote:
    enjoyed it even if not a great deal happened (well apart from the one big thing :p ).

I'm glad not a great deal happened, I was half expecting some silly evil twin thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Average Atlantean
    Bring on the search for ZPM's

Im sure there is a ZPM manufacturing plant or at least some sort of refereance to them in the Database.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

This was great fun, once again down to Hewlitt and, let's be fair, Hewlitt (the siblings chemistry showed on screen). It was charming how they also found the "smoke me a kipper" version of Meredith (heh) to be slightly creepy too.

So not much happened but this is a top-notch example of a filler episode. Good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Really cool episode that just proves a filler episode dosent have to suck ass. Hewlitt played a stormer as usual and his real life sister was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Average Atlantean
    Really enjoyed this one, a good fix of McKay, which is never a bad thing :)

The first 25 or so minutes of it was really excellent, however I found the last 15 minutes or so dragged a bit (so it only got a 'good vote), too much heart tugging I think. Didnt know it was Hewlett's real sister on screen, interesting casting, paid off in part, she was a poor actor, imo, but she did interact well with McKay, loved her reaction when she found out her brother blew up a solar system though :)
    It was charming how they also found the "smoke me a kipper" version of Meredith (heh) to be slightly creepy too.
    Was thinking when he was about to leave them at the end he said "Only one more thing to say" (or something), was expecting him to come out with "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast", just feels like it would have worked :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Average Atlantean
    Wow, where to start... for some reason I voted for good when I actually think I should have voted for excellent. One of the better Atlantis episodes, of late.

I honestly thought they were going to get the power generation working and you gotta wonder if we'll see any mention of it again. I mean, they have the means of creating the bridge and closing the bridge, all that is really needed is a zpm and an uninhabited galaxy...

In any case, the interaction between McKay and his sister was very good and brought something more to his character, as far as I'm concerned. Also, the way in which sheperd & co. humoured him by saying how annoying 'Rod' was, followed by the joking about Teyla having the hots for one of the new marines, gave a little semblance of actual friendship and familiarity, between the 4, that we have never really seen before...

All in all, it was a great filler, with potentially obvious repurcussions. I'm only fault, is that the next episode will surely suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I read on a few other websites that the actress was his real sister.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Venom wrote:
    I read on a few other websites that the actress was his real sister.
    I assumed as much when I saw a "Kate Hewlitt" in the opening credits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

Average Atlantean
    Liked the episode was very entertaining the smoke me a kipper version of McKay was not pulled off very well though imho. One thing that creeped me out was the scene between McKay and his sister near the end, i kept thinking they were going to kiss (me shudders) it must have been the music or seeing to many crappy tv shows. Best part was Sam talking to the 2 McKays on the tv screen all of that was pure gold. he destroyed a solar systems! the sorry bit, solved your problem with finger paints ect.

Average Atlantean
    Would someone mind telling me what this "smoke me a kipper" reference is all about? I'm beginning to think I've missed something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

JohnK wrote:
    Would someone mind telling me what this "smoke me a kipper" reference is all about? I'm beginning to think I've missed something...

It's a reference to an episode of Red Dwarf where an alternate version of Arnold Rimmer jumps into their dimension and turns out to be heroic, charismatic, who everyone gets on great with, so he's the opposite of the cowardly wrech Rimmer.

The Rimmer from the other dimension has a recurring line that goes "Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."

Average Atlantean
    That would explain it, thanks Karl Hungus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

was gonna vote this good.... but i read the comments first, then voted excellent..

bonus points for it being his real sister (which i missed), and all the comments reminded me of how much i actually enjoyed the ep (and laughed).

pity about how it ended up tho... hate all those doom and gloom, "we dont stand a chance now" parts of atlantis. looks like there'll be no big space battles or major ass kicking in the near future :(
    i honestly expected the super happy ending the whole way through

EDit: almost forgot the reference to the 'kirk syndrome' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe Lester

loads of people here said that this was a filler episode

it wasnt!!!

it was a kick as story to show how they lose the zpm.

they even brought mckays sister into the story which is pretty cool aswell

top marks for this episode as it was cool and a great idea

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Average Atlantean
    Oh come on, the loss of the zpm is a non-event. Its almost expected.

They could have any multitudes of reasons for it, any of which could be introduced in the first 10-15 minutes of an episode where they actually need the zpm.

The whole earth scenes and the montage with building the device were clearly filler, the whole storyline between mckay and his sister were filler character development as we will probably never see her again...

Did I mention it was a filler episode? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Average Atlantean
    This epsiode was reasonably good - it doesn't get top marks, IMO, because there was very little action to it. Also the draining of the ZPM was a little expected.

McKay and ther interaction with his sister (Which was his real-life sister - I thought that was a nice touch) was classic and Meredith, classic :D

Thank God Ronan or Teyla had fu*k all to do with this epsidoe - they always seem to annoy me. Hewlett can nearly carry an episode on his own and his realisation of what "type" of person he was developed the character even more.

A 8/10 filler

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Woeful! Begone vile beast lest you tar my soul
    wow - am I the ONLY ONE out there that hates this hewlett guy??? It's like finger nails on a chalkboard!!!!!! Oh my god, when I saw there was 2 of them, I 'nearly' turned it off. LOL I was also expecting the twin to be evil...like the parallell universe in Star Trek!!

Have you noticed, the Atlantis team have destroyed so MUCH Ancient technology...it's incredible. TWO battleships, and numerous atlantean outposts. They are leaving a WAKE of destruction behind them. The just blew their last ZPM now.......I hope they die....well.....hewlitt anyway!!! Painfully.

With reference to other threads THAT I SHOULD NOT SPOIL!! GRR!!! READ THE F**KING CHARTER ....
    I CANT see Carter & he working well on screen if she does join the show....

Anyone out there hate him too??? And I mean REAL hate LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Average Atlantean
    I thought this was decent enough for a filler and i thought parts where funny aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 afino

Average Atlantean
    Surion, the alternate McKay OBVIOUSLY wasn't an evil twin.... no goatee!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Average Atlantean
    This was a very good episode and as was pointed out earlier, proves that filler episodes don't have to suck.
    Kate Hewlitt did well I thought, good development too.
    The alternate McKay was good too, I wonder how the ZPM thing will develop though.
    Good episode.

Advertisement