Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - oops!

Options
  • 09-09-2006 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/8849291?view=Eircomnet
    Probe on why century-old cottage was demolished in new road plan
    Friday, 8th September, 2006

AN investigation is underway into why a 100-year-old cottage was mistakenly demolished by contractors without the owner's permission.

Mary O'Shaughnessy had not consented to have her property near Annaholty on the Limerick-Tipperary border demolished.

Three other houses on the same rural road were also torn down after they were the subject of Compulsory Purchase Orders issued by Limerick Co Council.

But it is understood that Ms O'Shaughnessy's cottage had not been purchased by the local authority.

The Contractors involved in the demolition work are employed by Limerick County Council.

The N7 Nenagh to Limerick dual-carriageway is being constructed near the site and is a joint project of the council and North Tipperary Co Council in consultation with the National Roads Authority (NRA).

Yesterday, all that remained on the half-acre site was rubble, mounds of concrete and a half front door.

One auctioneer estimated the site and cottage was worth over €250,000.

Shocked neighbours said they saw heavy machinery at the scene on Monday. "They were just tearing away through it," said one. "How could they get the wrong place? You can't manage to make a mistake like that in this day and age."

It is believed the owner had left the property recently but was due to have it renovated.

NRA Director of Corporate Affairs, Michael Egan, said: "It is a matter for the local authority and the contractor to resolve but if the house is not in the 'land take' for the motorway it should not be affected, interfered with or demolished."

Engineers from Limerick County Council were due to visit the site and survey the damage this week.

A Limerick Co Council spokesperson was not available for comment last night.

Barry Duggan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Council workers doing more work than necessary... Move to Paranormal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Engineers from Limerick County Council were due to visit the site and survey the damage this week.

I wonder how long it will take them to discover that all thats left is

rubble, mounds of concrete and a half front door.

C.P.O if dont right arent difficult to know. The amount of meetings that go on to make sure every one knows what is happening is unbelivable. Its unbeilvable that something like this happened.

The house was worth about €250,000. She could've got maybe between €350,0000-€500,000 for the C.P.O now she is likely to get a lot more. I love the way the councils use their money so wisely!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Karoma wrote:
    Council workers doing more work than necessary... Move to Paranormal.
    kearnsr wrote:
    I love the way the councils use their money so wisely!
    It's possible that it is the fault of the private contractor. The Council may have provided the correct information etc. and the contractor's staff may have made the 'error of judgement'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

kearnsr wrote:
    The house was worth about €250,000. She could've got maybe between €350,0000-€500,000 for the C.P.O now she is likely to get a lot more. I love the way the councils use their money so wisely!

would she not be entitled to damages etc as well? i mean, it is not everyday that one comes home to find one's house after been demolished. i reckon, cpo or not, she would be entitled to sue and rightly so. where is she going to live now? obviously neighbours and/or family will help but i would sue them!! she should take them to the cleaners just to highlight their stupidity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

kearnsr wrote:
    II love the way the councils use their money so wisely!

Just a wee reminder - it's not their money, it is yours and mine. I presume the council officers all got their benchmarking rises, ah the public service, tis a wonderful place to work, with no responsibility, accountability and protected pension rights.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

westtip wrote:
    Just a wee reminder - it's not their money, it is yours and mine. I presume the council officers all got their benchmarking rises, ah the public service, tis a wonderful place to work, with no responsibility, accountability and protected pension rights.......

I was trying to be sarcastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

westtip wrote:
    I presume the council officers all got their benchmarking rises, ah the public service, tis a wonderful place to work, with no responsibility, accountability and protected pension rights.......

As pointed out above, it was a contractor that knocked down the house. Why jump to the conclusion that it's a council officers fault?

Advertisement