Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get an edge playing Darts

Options
  • 08-09-2006 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I have being playing darts for about a year now and I have discovered an unusal way of improving my game which I will share with you.

It followed from my being flustrated at hitting triple 20 and then a 5 and 1. Then I realised that if I could get just one triple 20 per 3 darts throw I would average 60 + per throw (3 darts). 501 / 60 is 8.4 visits to the Oiche. This means that if you can finish with 2 darts at double you will win the game with 7 or 8 goes at the Oiche. It will be 7 if your misses are hitting a few single 20s.

At this standard I can usually win 2 out of 3 games.

For the finishng on a double, the thing to do is to forget about having a favorite double. All doubles are equally easy to hit. The other thing to get into you head is to hit the double with the first dart thrown at it. Do not throw a marker. The best practice for doubles is to throw only one dart at each double around the clock and finish with bull. That means 21 darts thrown. If you hit 7 doubles or more then you can always finish off your double in 3 or fewer darts regardless of the double you are on. This will mean you will always require 8 or less visits to the Oiche! That is good enough to beat an "average player".

Here is a chart showing the relationship of average score to number of throws for a finish.

Average Visits at Number of
    per 3 the Darts thrown
    darts Oiche
    40 12.5 37.6
    45 11.1 33.4
    50 10.0 30.1
    55 9.1 27.3
    60 8.4 25.1
    65 7.7 23.1
    70 7.2 21.5
    75 6.7 20.0
    80 6.3 18.8
    85 5.9 17.7
    90 5.6 16.7
    95 5.3 15.8
    100 5.0 15.0
    105 4.8 14.3
    110 4.6 13.7
    115 4.4 13.1
    120 4.2 12.5
    125 4.0 12.0
    130 3.9 11.6
    135 3.7 11.1
    140 3.6 10.7

Hope this helps. It has improved my game very quickly.

Your comments would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Gobbildygook! Can't make out how any of that is suppossed to improve your game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Nole

Agree, total nonsense really. Your saying that if you hit a treble 20 every go you will have an average above 60. I suppose ill start aiming for the treble so, instead of the single.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

I agree it is total nonsense but I will have to pick the o.p up on his All doubles are equally easy to hit.
    That comment is probably the worst,what he/she fails to observe is the throwers height,weight and if they are either left or right handed and other factors such as
    tiredness,frame of mind and confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

have to agree cant see how anything there is gonna improve your darts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

its just pure practice dats all it is, the reason we aint as good as da pros is because we aint playin 6 or 7 hrs a day an dats dat!!! Der is no system on gettin an edge at darts its just practice like every sport! But on a double well its simple der all da same size ok some need adjusting of da arm/eyes but everyones different size/weight/left or right handed so its not jus small people needin to adjust but as i say der still da same size in the end...I suggest you aim for the inside wire goin for a double dunno why it jus works for me:D Plus i practice it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭S.T.D Ste

mr.jingle wrote: »
    its just pure practice dats all it is, the reason we aint as good as da pros is because we aint playin 6 or 7 hrs a day an dats dat!!! Der is no system on gettin an edge at darts its just practice like every sport! But on a double well its simple der all da same size ok some need adjusting of da arm/eyes but everyones different size/weight/left or right handed so its not jus small people needin to adjust but as i say der still da same size in the end...I suggest you aim for the inside wire goin for a double dunno why it jus works for me:D Plus i practice it![/QU

Your Right JP Thats the way to be better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Double Top

the best way to practice is to buy a practice board. until you get one you will never be as good as you can be. my doubles were terrible and no matter how much i practiced on them when i came to a match i would be nowere near them but since i started using the practice board my doubles are flying in and my trebles are better then ever. thay might cost more then a normal dartboard but are worth it in the long run if your serious about darts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Double Top wrote: »
    the best way to practice is to buy a practice board. until you get one you will never be as good as you can be. my doubles were terrible and no matter how much i practiced on them when i came to a match i would be nowere near them but since i started using the practice board my doubles are flying in and my trebles are better then ever. thay might cost more then a normal dartboard but are worth it in the long run if your serious about darts

The other thing that you have to do is find practice games against people who are going to push you to be your very best.

You have to play the games to really improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Am I the only one who noticed it took over 2 years for someone to reply to the OP?

With good reason.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 igolady2

Double Top wrote: »
    To really improve ur game, u have to b devoted to darts. i play 4 a very good side in the leauge, i practice at least half hr every 2nd day, some times i play out of my skin, other times i try to hard and my darts just wont go 4 me.. i think it really all on the night. ur darts will either go 4 ya r they wont..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mussha

the oly way to improve your game is to play against players that are better or on a par wit yourself. and plenty of pratice on your own aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

lol

thread fails

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

Do many of you have a practice board?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭bassy

mr.jingle wrote: »
    its just pure practice dats all it is, the reason we aint as good as da pros is because we aint playin 6 or 7 hrs a day an dats dat!!! Der is no system on gettin an edge at darts its just practice like every sport! But on a double well its simple der all da same size ok some need adjusting of da arm/eyes but everyones different size/weight/left or right handed so its not jus small people needin to adjust but as i say der still da same size in the end...I suggest you aim for the inside wire goin for a double dunno why it jus works for me:D Plus i practice it!

Goodman
    Some are naturally talented and can hit doubles with both hands in exhibitions,how's your left and right hand on any given nite?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

bassy wrote: »
    Goodman
    Some are naturally talented and can hit doubles with both hands in exhibitions,how's your left and right hand on any given nite?.
    Took you 5yrs to come up with that, goodman. Dont play anymore my practice routines dont work, I was just a stupid kid back then thinking I was great but the belly got bigger the hair got shorter and thinner and now I cant even throw with my supposed good right hand never mind my left!

Still think practice is the way forward though, once you do it correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

I actually understand what you're saying mathematically, but it's helpless really.

You may as well have said the following:
    Start a leg with 180
    Follow up with a 180
    Check out 141

Because if you do that consistently you'll find you win the vast majority of the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

I will never get the two minutes i spent reading this rubbish back!!!!!

Worthless thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Indeed.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement