Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Dublinporttunnel.ie revised website

Options
  • 08-09-2006 1:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

www.dublinporttunnel.ie

Theyve changed this site. :)

Lots of info there. Lots of photos of the tunnel, toll plaza, new gantres, layout etc.

Also interestingly confirmation that it is in fact the longest Urban road tunnel in Europe.

No opening date. Damn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

Mentions that toll tags can be purchased from etrip.ie (site under construction). I hope this will overlap/be compatible with the EastLink/WestLink system and not be another incompatible tag to fit to the car/truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

jlang wrote:
    Mentions that toll tags can be purchased from etrip.ie

E Trip - We'll get you there, but the journey home will be a big come down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ap

Safety Guidelines

"The Dublin Port Tunnel has been fitted with comprehensive mechanical and electrical systems, optical and gas monitoring equipment in order to ensure a safe environment for all users.

Remove sunglasses and turn on headlights (dipped) before entering the Tunnel."

Doh, I knew I'd forgotten something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

It says that the tunnell is 5.6Kmh long.

It also states that trucks should stay 100 metres away from each other.

This adds up, allowing for truck lengths, for about 50 trucks per traffic lane at any one time, so 4 lanes gives you 200 trucks in and out. It don't sound like much but at an average speed of 56Kmh in the tunnel (Make the sums handy!), it should be moving 1,200 trucks an hour each way.

If that works out, this will be phenominal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

And all those trucks pouring onto the M50 , and trying to cross the toll-bridge.

Imagine you are a truck driver heading from the south/west, you have the choice , queue for ages to pay a toll on the bridge , or head up the quays , which should be less busy because ' all ' the trucks are now using the tunnel.

Hmmmmm I see a flaw in this cunning plan, don't you ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Davidth88 wrote:
    Imagine you are a truck driver heading from the south/west, you have the choice , queue for ages to pay a toll on the bridge , or head up the quays , which should be less busy because ' all ' the trucks are now using the tunnel.

Hmmmmm I see a flaw in this cunning plan, don't you ?

1) There is no toll for trucks.

2) Until the Garda on the quay pulls you over and gives you the big fine for driving your truck in the quays which has now been designated a truck free zone.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hamndegger wrote:
    it should be moving 1,200 trucks an hour each way.

If that works out, this will be phenominal!
    it will meke the M50 more fun!
    bk wrote:
    1) There is no tool for trucks.
    I preume you mean toll
    bk wrote:
    2) Until the Garda on the quay pulls you over and gives you the big fine for driving your truck in the quays which has now been designated a truck free zone.
    Is there a wheel or axle limit?

errrr there is a toll on the BRIDGE for trucks ....... I specified trucks coming/going to the south/west . There are no plans to lift these tolls

I agree there is no toll in the tunnel which actually does make sense.

Has the decision actually been made to make the quay's ' truck free' yet ? Last I heard the 30 organisational bodies that decide these things were still arguing amongst themselves.

The roads coming from the M50 look a bit off...
    map.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

hauliers hate paying tolls right?

so remove the toll for trucks on the Westlink, give NTR a cut of the profits from the car tolls in the tunnel as compensation (yeah, yeah, NTR are vultures and shouldn't be given anything etc but they'd probably sue otherwise)

• Advertisement

Hamndegger wrote:
    This adds up, allowing for truck lengths, for about 50 trucks per traffic lane at any one time, so 4 lanes gives you 200 trucks in and out.

Ah but trucks are restricted to using the left lane only at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Bluetonic wrote:
    Ah but trucks are restricted to using the left lane only at all times.

If they are over 17 tonnes they are, unless instructed to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The comparison with the Boston dig in the facts section is silly IMO. The Boston dig was primarily designed for cars. So the fact it is lower is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

kbannon wrote:
    The roads coming from the M50 look a bit off...
    map.gif
    That's hilarious! There should be a subtitle - (map not suitable for navigation).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Report sent to City Council for approval and City Councils ammendments re. HGV Management Strategy can be found at:

http://www.dublincity.ie/living_in_the_city/getting_around/by_car/traffic_management/hgv_management_strategy.asp

I93 is the interstate that runs through Boston through the big dig so id imagine there would be a high number of HGVs using it

Hey Traffic , nice link .

The GLC tried a similar thing way back in the early Eighties just before Maggie had a hissy fit and kicked Red Ken out.

It worked ok to start with , until it every truck it seemed to me had some sort of exemption they did it with a exemption plate on the back of the truck .

Lets hope this does the trick , that will make a HUGE difference to the centre of the city.

Lets hope it works.

Hamndegger wrote:
    If they are over 17 tonnes they are, unless instructed to do so.

The restriction is for 3 tonnes for non use of the overtaking lane in the port tunnel.

The penalty points are awarded for "Driving a HGV or bus on the outside lane on a motorway"
    Is the DPT a motorway?
    Is a HGV defined as >3tonnes?
    Are minibusses the same as busses?

The DPT is a motorway. Officially it is part of the M50 motorway. It is a motorway all the way to the East Wall rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kbannon wrote:
    The penalty points are awarded for "Driving a HGV or bus on the outside lane on a motorway"
    Yes, 1 point AFAIK.
    Is the DPT a motorway?
    Yes.
    Is a HGV defined as >3tonnes?
    In this case, yes.
    Are minibusses the same as busses?
    Not quite, I thinka minibus is legally 8-14 passengers.

• Advertisement

There are some really good pictures of the tunnel (looks very much complete) in the media section. Beware though its a big ZIP file (47MB):)

The fans on top are pretty darn big. Im not too keen on the lighting though.

Advertisement