Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9/11: the Twin Towers

Options
  • 07-09-2006 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭

Jaysus..... That is all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i assume he is talking about

DOCUMENTARY: 9/11: The Twin Towers
    On: BBC 1 London
    Date: Thursday 7th September 2006 (Already shown)
    Time: 21:00 to 22:00 (1 hour long)

Drama-documentary which uses the testimonies of survivors, victims' families, emergency workers and city officials, supported by interviews and archive, to venture inside the twin towers to follow the stories of a dozen individuals whose daily routine is swept aside by events that changed the world forever. It presents a minute-by-minute sequence of events, whilst offering viewers an explanation of the horror, confusion, and selfless actions they are witnessing.
    (Continued after the News, Widescreen, Subtitles, Audio Described)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=53031

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Did anyone watch it? Man it was spooky, it was basically a Docu-Drama, there's one shot of a guy standing on the 80-something floor as the plane hits. Obviously it's not real footage, but the fact that the event happened, makes it a bit spooky.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Lump wrote:
    Did anyone watch it? Man it was spooky, it was basically a Docu-Drama, there's one shot of a guy standing on the 80-something floor as the plane hits. Obviously it's not real footage, but the fact that the event happened, makes it a bit spooky.

John
    I did, and I have to pretty much concur with your first post. Really horrifying stuff. It doesn't happen often when I watch anything, but that had the hairs on the back of my neck standing straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I thought it was excellent. Remarkable stories from the guy who was watching the second plane coming stright for him and the firemen with Josephine who survived while still in the building.

BBC1 are showing another 2 part docu-drama on Sunday and Monday nights. Clinton wasnt too happy with it:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-13541616,00.html

• Advertisement

watched it tonight and wow

a thought provoking programme which had thoughts of what would i do in those situations going on throughout. would you stay with that guy while he sat there talking ****? one stayed the other got out alive

it was magnificent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

When you see the towers falling it is like something from hollywood. I still find it hard to believe it. It has to be the most amazing footage ever caught on television The BBC have had some great shows over the last week as have C4

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i had to stop watching it - that fat guy pi$$ed me right off. that other one they are showing this week is apparently made up with the final scene being completely improvised:

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/07/fbi-agent-quit/

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/05/clarke-blasts-abc/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i thought the twin towers did fill in stuff we hadn't seen much of, what happened to the people who never made it out, although dramatisations can be icky, the path to 9/11 was really well made, but I did notice omissions and spin, as if they couldn't spy on the suspected bomber of the wtc with the laws they had... :rolleyes:

yerman from eastenders has come a long way...

I thought it was really good that it reminded or put together for the first time the other activities these guys were involved in, I never knew the wtc bomber also killed the person on the plane in manila... also mentioning the jew killed and the embassy bombings

it nicely shot it it locations scenes... it seemed like a film version of nypd....

the thought a few children stopped them bombing a camp? :rolleyes:

I don't know if that bad for clinton it seemed to show both hapless fbi and hapless bombers... and also showed a major plot being stopped on clintons watch...

so me mother comes in and says so it was clintons fault :rolleyes: I said well they should gone back to reagan and bush1 when they were training the taliban... its not the fault of just one american president...

anybody watch the cassanova firefighter doc on rte the other day?

oh yeah and enigma was a pretty good film too :)

Yeah I caught a bit of that firefighter doc on RTE. A single guy from an Irish family who never married and his answering machine was full of messages from women wondering was he ok on 9/11. Didnt watch it all though. His friend plays the ex-priest in Rescue Me now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

All I can say is wow.

Path to 9/11 is one of the best things I think I've ever watched...almost entirely factually based, the plots, characters, settings....it screamedfiction, big budget fiction.

Excellent acting, excellent casting, absolutely stunning camerawork and editing, great dialogue.
    I don't know if this is airing Stateside, I hope it is...I didn't watch too many of the other comemorative screenings, caught some of the RTÉ thing about Paddy Brown and some of the Miracle on Stairwell B....but this documovie blew my mind
    FFS the whole thing about John P O Neill being the security directo at the WTC after all he'd gone through...the irony, the sheer cruelty of fate.
    The same could be said about the Mujahadeen commander too.

I wonder how much of the inaction we saw happening in the US intelligence agencies after the election of Bush was tinkered with and how much was factually accurate.
    I can also see how Clinton would be pissed, although if the film is sticking with facts and not drawing too many unwarranted conclussions, he has to carry his share of the weight on this.

Excellent, excellent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

yeah i enjoyed it myself. very moving there towards the end. the visuals of the building being hit and eventually collapsing is still pretty shocking, i'm not sure those images will ever lose that shock value. but yeah, it was a good watch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Very well made program, although i would take some of it with a large grain of salt.

Its airing in Stateside in a few hours.

SofaKing wrote:
    Very well made program, although i would take some of it with a large grain of salt.

Its airing in Stateside in a few hours.

Yeah getting schooled bya few americans on another forum about some inaccuracies...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/08/AR2006090801949.html

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/05/clarke-blasts-abc/

I'd like to think we could have been told as an audience that not everything was factually based...I understand the creative need to fill in some blanks, but bltantly making something up to suit an agenda (who's ever that may be) is not a good thing to be doing on a day like today.

Regardless, I still enjoyed the show and I still think it was informative...just a shame that I now can't trust any of hwat I was informed of due to some badly placed fiction.

There was a notice before and after each part stating that some fiction was used to fill in the story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

9/11 the Twin Towers was excellent and thought provoking. I was really surprised by how good what I saw of Path to 9/11 was, not what I was expecting it to be at all. Found some of the camera work and the placing of dates and locations on the screen to be very clever. Pity about the innacuracies though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭fobs

Thought it was excellant and disturbing at the same time. Did anyone see the documentaty on RTE last night called which claimed at the end that they decided to attack IRAQ after 9/11 even though there was no connection to 9/11 because "there was no decent targets in Afghanistan" unlike IRAQ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Is this it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKgyCnMPzc&NR

Its in parts. Back up for Prt 1. Different voice over to that of the beeb. Im not sure if this is it though:confused:

yeah, that's it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qme_9OPNLc&mode=related&search=

Actually it starts here. Compelling documentary that. Disturbing too.

• Advertisement

bucks73 wrote:
    There was a notice before and after each part stating that some fiction was used to fill in the story.

Hmm...didn't notice or wasn't listening. Oh well, at least they said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

bucks73 wrote:
    Oh, i had seen those disclaimers that some fiction was used to fill in gaps - that was fine. But was a little annoyed that some of the known facts were twisted or changed by the makers (see Wertz's links for example).

Wertz wrote:
    Hmm...didn't notice or wasn't listening. Oh well, at least they said it.

Yeah it was just on screen...no sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭fobs

Just watched "Loose Change" on Google video last night! Now they have some strange conspiracy theories worth watching. Worth a look for anyone suspicious f who benefitted most from the twin-towers collapse!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

i was pretty much expecting some kind of sappy, patriotic propaganda about the tragedy, but i was pretty impressed by the road to 9/11.
    however i was shocked to read that some of the american networks wouldn't run it because they wouldn't allow profanities to be broadcast, as reported by the register:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/11/911_documentary_rumpus/

seems a bit pathetic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

fobs wrote:
    Just watched "Loose Change" on Google video last night! Now they have some strange conspiracy theories worth watching. Worth a look for anyone suspicious f who benefitted most from the twin-towers collapse!
    I'd advise anyone who has seen Loose Change to watch thie: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6596630292015140276&q=screw+loose+change

Show just how many lies and deciepts they use.

Advertisement