Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm being robbed by my flatmate

• 07-09-2006 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

my flatmate is coming into my room when I'm not there and taking money from my change jar. I have proof of this, in that I've set up a motion sensing camera and caught her in the act. I have 3 vids of this, but I've posted one of them on you tube. Does anyone have an suggestions on what I can do? I don't want to confront her because that would only poison the environment. I think going to the guards would do the same. The landlady said that there isn't much she can do, but she would be lenient with me in terms of the contract if I chose to move. Does anyone have any idea what my legal position is here?

Thanks,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I too have a problem with mismatched underwear wearing females coming into my bedroom and rifling in my drawers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

This may sound crazy - but couldn't you just get a key for your door and lock it when you're not in the house?

I'm not sure what legal advice you're looking for. Are you planning to take her to court for the couple of euro she's taken?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

take your change to a bank and convert it to real money.
    No change? No problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I think your best option is to lock your door when you are out. if she is cheeky enough to come into your room and steal your change, what else might she be be taking.Dont think I could live with someone that I didnt trust all that much.I think you should mention it to her and see why she has been doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DizzleBizzle

This may sound crazy - but couldn't you just get a key for your door and lock it when you're not in the house?

I'm not sure what legal advice you're looking for. Are you planning to take her to court for the couple of euro she's taken?

Thanks for the sensible reply Lebowski. The door doesn't have any locks fitted to it, but even still, I'd prefer not to live in an environment where I know somebody is going to steal from me if she can. I wouldn't take her to court over it, but it'd be nice if I could get her ass kicked out of the flat. I probably can't though. I talked to the land lady and she said I could move if I wanted to, and she would waive the breach of contract.. which is sound. I'm payin too much to live there anyway, so I guess the best thing I could do is move.. and then let her know that I'm going to publicise the videos!!! (btw, there's two more.. & she's nude in one!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

You know what I would do, put them on DVD and leave them on repeat on your tele so she walks in on it.

Just move out and then show her this thread, think how embarassed she'll be when she realises that a couple of hundred people have seen her in her underwear :D

Giblet wrote:
    You know what I would do, put them on DVD and leave them on repeat on your tele so she walks in on it.

not a bad one! - I think I'll stick with the craic on YouTube though - that's more universal!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jesus freakin christ!

I've removed that link and I am locking this thread. WTF sort of legal advice are you seeking here? Take her to court or dont. Lock your door or dont. Cop the f*** on and dont post that sh*t here again.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

What are the chances that this girl or one of her friends or family have allready read this article and seen the video clip. Wouldn't that put an end to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Just mention in passing that you've had a motion sensing camera in your room for the last two months, and leave it at that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

someone pm me the link to the video

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

L5 wrote:
    someone pm me the link to the video
    Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

just go to You tube and search for "flatmate robbing me", she isnt naked though....

DeVore wrote:
    Jesus freakin christ!

I've removed that link and I am locking this thread. WTF sort of legal advice are you seeking here? Take her to court or dont. Lock your door or dont. Cop the f*** on and dont post that sh*t here again.

DeV.

a bit power hungry are we admin??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Good detective work :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Lol didnt you just read the same thread as me? The OP just got the slap across the wrist for posting that, why would you repeat his mistake in the same thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Firstly, put a sign up above your money jar stating that she is being watched, and that you have video's of her nicking stuff.

Secondly, you don't want to poisen the vibe in the flat, yet you don't want to get her to stop? You want your cake, and also eat it, I take it? Either you buy a safe, or you tell her to stop stealing from you.

Put the video's on a DVD, and give it to her. Tell her if she doesn't stop, you'll bring it to the attention of the police.

=-=

Oh, and could a mod move this to After Hours, as the poster doesn't seem to be asking for legal advice.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

No offense but if you are not willing to confront her about it, what the hell do you expect? Get someone else to do your dirty work for you? Jesus, show some backbone.

The camera thing is just weird too. As is her underwear.

I bet she's your sister or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Lol didnt you just read the same thread as me? The OP just got the slap across the wrist for posting that, why would you repeat his mistake in the same thread?

That is the OP....posting the link again.
    DeVore wrote:
    I've removed that link and I am locking this thread.

I think DeVore might have forgotten to do this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Pity she didn't rob your camera ....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC9TQhHfVYQ

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

realiate in kind

Banned and locked

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Lol I forgot to lock it and you forgot to ban him Seamus! Thanks for picking up on the repost of the link.

DeV.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Jeesh, I go away for a couple of days and the place goes insane. It's not this much fun when I'm here!

Cheers for that though lads!