Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandyford Estate fighting back on traffic madness

Options
  • 07-09-2006 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭

Subject: SANDYFORD BUSINESS ESTATE ASSOCIATION

Dear Member,

The Chairman and Committee wish to advise the membership that in view of the seriousness of the traffic situation and the lack of any meaningful response from the Council, the SBEA Committee are now meeting on a weekly basis to re-assess strategy.

Members of the Committee are meeting with all Dundrum Area Committee Councillors next week to highlight the chronic situation. The Commitee will also ouline the urgent need for more road access and again make the case for the revised Drummartin Link Road.

In the past week or so the Committee has received many Emails from the membership and it welcomes all members suggestions as to what courses of action the Association should consider going forward.

There is growing anger amongst bussiness interests in Sandyford with the state of the traffic chaos caused by 'the builders'. Blocking off roads, stopping traffic at a whim, crazy speeds by construction traffic etc etc. There are a lot of very p1ssed people who have to make their way to & from work every day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

yeah..I was down there last week.. the whole place is a construction site again...all up in a heap

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I work down there. I thought it was madness they way the laid a new road and then dug it up 2 weeks later.

I also love the about of notice they gave about all the diversions.

Its a joke whats going on up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Granted that the closure of the roads around the industrial estate is insane. Why on earth are there hundreds of new housing units being crammed into such a small site. The affluent types who could buy these are also the ones who have 2 cars per household. Imagine the chaos of an extra 2000-3000 cars on what are effectively 3rd class roads with no space for expansion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

it can take well over an hour to get out of the estate.... it needs to be sorted asap, really...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Granted that the closure of the roads around the industrial estate is insane. Why on earth are there hundreds of new housing units being crammed into such a small site. The affluent types who could buy these are also the ones who have 2 cars per household. Imagine the chaos of an extra 2000-3000 cars on what are effectively 3rd class roads with no space for expansion.

One of the selling points of this place is that its beside the Luas and people will be encouraged to use that.

But lets face thats not gona work. People are gona use there casrs and its a long term diaster waiting to happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,077 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

kearnsr wrote:
    One of the selling points of this place is that its beside the Luas and people will be encouraged to use that.

But lets face thats not gona work. People are gona use there casrs and its a long term diaster waiting to happen

In which case, it is very hard to have any sympathy for those caught up in this situation.

what about the people who work there? Its a a ****hole to travel to. I'm just glad I dont work out there every day

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In which case, it is very hard to have any sympathy for those caught up in this situation.
    In all fairness, its not always by choice that people drive.
    I live in Leixlip and work in Stillorgan. I try not to go via Sandyford as much as I can and manage to get to work via Dundrum.
    I need my car to get to work as Im often required to go on site. If I was to use public transport, then it would take me (excluding waiting) about an hour into town (by train or bus), 20-25 minutes to get to Stillorgan by bus. Getting the luas would involve an additional 20 minute walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I work in the Stillorgan business park and it's not too bad as I drive in via goatstown and drive home through Stillorgan however I do feel sorry for the line of traffic heading out by the Beacon in the evening.

Some of the traffic signals are terrible and have the same time be it morning or evening, even though there is an obvious influx in the morning and vice vesa in the evening

I gather Atlantic Homecare has been sold so expect more disruption. I can't help feeling that these developments are very "bubble like" and can't imagine wanting to drop half a mil. on an apartment overlooking an industrial park myself but there you go.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

kbannon wrote:
    In all fairness, its not always by choice that people drive.
    I live in Leixlip and work in Stillorgan. I try not to go via Sandyford as much as I can and manage to get to work via Dundrum.
    I need my car to get to work as Im often required to go on site. If I was to use public transport, then it would take me (excluding waiting) about an hour into town (by train or bus), 20-25 minutes to get to Stillorgan by bus. Getting the luas would involve an additional 20 minute walk.

I do the same from Lucan a couple of times a week. Soon I'll be doing the trip for Lexlip (I'm moving there soon).

At the moment I work in two office Clonskeagh and Sandyford. The 11 bus from Sandyford is delayed by 40-50 minutes each day. One traffic jam has major knock on effects for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

silverharp wrote:
    I work in the Stillorgan business park and it's not too bad as I drive in via goatstown and drive home through Stillorgan however I do feel sorry for the line of traffic heading out by the Beacon in the evening.

Some of the traffic signals are terrible and have the same time be it morning or evening, even though there is an obvious influx in the morning and vice vesa in the evening

I gather Atlantic Homecare has been sold so expect more disruption. I can't help feeling that these developments are very "bubble like" and can't imagine wanting to drop half a mil. on an apartment overlooking an industrial park myself but there you go.

I agree with the point about traffic lights.
    The junction at drumartin road at the beacon hotel has to be one of the worst cases of traffic management in the county. How many times have I sat there at red with watching the green lights go for cars that arent there!
    I thought all junctions were meant to be more intuative, ie: dont go green on the side with no traffic.

Considering the beacon development, the building behind microsoft and the new building going across from atlantic homecare its going to get bad there.
    The luas is no solution. It goes through the suburbs line Ranelagh or Dundrum which simply dont have the population density like the suburbs of west dublin. So those poor folk have no choice but to drive.

there should be a Luas shadowing the M50, with park & ride at every national primary doad junction, the land along side the m50 already belongs to the NRA so it wouldnt cost much!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Is it really true that Ranelagh and Dublin are less dense than West Dublin? I would be surprised if it is.

The obvious short-term solution to the traffic gridlock in the industrial estate, is to close the LUAS park-and-rides.

Advertisement