Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a used car

Options
  • 06-09-2006 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi everyone,

I want to buy a used car - preferrably a VW and preferrably from a dealer/garage. I live in Swords.
    Can anyone recommend any good websites to help me do this? any comments/advice/suggestions much appreciated.

Maith agat,
    Mhaire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

http://www.carzone.ie,
    http://www.cbg.ie

Also the chances are these days that the dealer will have their own website so just google their name. To be honest don't just rely on the websites regarding what stock dealers have. Dealer's stock on the forecourt changes so regularly it is difficult to update a website that regularly.

PS. VWs tend to be overpriced in Ireland for what you get and from my experience VW main dealers tend to think they selling the perfect product and charge accordingly. Buying a used VW from a non VW dealer could work out cheaper for you. Always shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

From a main dealer www.volkswagen.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I have a 2002 VW Passat bought off Grange Motors 12 months ago.

It's on adverts.ie if your interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 barney kx

id be inclined to sell my own car first,this would give you more leeway when buying with no trade in good luck in your purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

bazz26 wrote:
    VWs tend to be overpriced in Ireland for what you get and from my experience VW main dealers tend to think they selling the perfect product and charge accordingly. Buying a used VW from a non VW dealer could work out cheaper for you. Always shop around.

That's not necessarily true - buying privatly isn't always cheaper. I have been looking for a VW Golf for a while and many that are advertised are the same price (some even dearer) than main dealers. The big advantage with buying from a dealership is that the car will be guaranteed for a while and if there is a problem (i.e. gearbox gone, timing belt broke etc.) it will be replaced/fixed.

VW's are very popular nowadays - probably becaue they have a reputation of good reliability. That's the reason I am looking for one anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mhaire_s wrote:
    I live in Swords
    McAllisters would be your local dealer. http://www.mcallistervolkswagen.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭maidhc

Kojak wrote:
    VW's are very popular nowadays - probably becaue they have a reputation of good reliability. That's the reason I am looking for one anyways.

They are popular because they have a less of a proletarian aura about them than Fords or Toyotas. That is important in todays Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

VW's reputation for reliability is a triumph of marketing over reality. Look up any of the reliability surveys - on BBC Top Gear website etc. VWs are only average. If you want reliability, buy Japanese.

For all-round value, resale, reliability (and from my own previous experience) there's actually nothing to touch Toyota.

And no I'm not a Toyota dealer or even a current Toyota owner. Don't like the styling of much of the current range...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

maidhc wrote:
    They are popular because they have a less of a proletarian aura about them than Fords or Toyotas. That is important in todays Ireland!
    They are popular because they give a perception of quality. The traditional VW owner (very brand loyal) is a bit of a dullard with little or no imagination. Therefore VW HQ know how to dupe them (patsy's) with their marketing spin.

Ford's may have been a bit proletarian in the past, not really anymore and they now build better value for money cars than VW.

If you want a value for money VW, buy a Skoda - If you want a VW with a bit of flair, buy a Seat. The VW options list is a Joke.

Toyota's Corolla & Avensis are more classless cars than any Golf.

Anyway ... Just for Fun ... so do not get hot and bothered folks !

Ford's and their owners are a bit like MOST Northsiders, they know their place and are happy with their lot. MANY VW's and their owners, are like SOME Southsiders - Petite bourgeoisie, with ideas above their station.

Buy Japanese and be above all that Class Bulls..t

After all, It's a small man or woman that feels the needs to prove themselves, and even smaller one that needs a car to make an impression !

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kojak wrote:
    That's not necessarily true - buying privatly isn't always cheaper. I have been looking for a VW Golf for a while and many that are advertised are the same price (some even dearer) than main dealers. The big advantage with buying from a dealership is that the car will be guaranteed for a while and if there is a problem (i.e. gearbox gone, timing belt broke etc.) it will be replaced/fixed.

Have another read of my post. I didn't say buying private was cheaper I said buying from a non VW dealer may be cheaper i.e. buying a VW from say a Ford or Toyota dealer may be cheaper and better in the long run.

Buy a 4 year old Golf with less than 80k miles from a Toyota dealer and he will give you a 12 month warranty with it. Try buying the same car from a VW dealer and the most you will probably get is 6 months. That says alot to me about VW dealers confidence in their own products.

As regarding VW reputation for reliability - this is the VW marketing department at it's best. VWs used to be very reliable, the original Golf or Beetle were great cars and VW have been living off this reputation for years now. People buy into this and so they are willing to pay silly money to buy what they think the VW brand is, a marque of better quality and reliability. The reality is though their cars have as many if not more issues as other less high profile cheaper brands out there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 fhugh

www.carfinder.ie is a newish site... quite a few Volkswagens in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bootdown

Go japanese .

Ive worked in toyota , subaru and rover garages. Rovers suck !! (Sorry rover drivers) toyotas are great but i think subarus are even more reliable!!! I have an impreza with 138,000 miles up and its like driving a new car .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

theres a 94 sunny in our yard with over 225,000 on the clock and all it needs is a wheel bearing, any one with a vw with that milage on the clock. i drove it to the shop this morning

Advertisement