Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus ticket vending machines

Options
  • 06-09-2006 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know why DB haven't installed any TVMs at the city centre stops? If they had a few around the city centre and refused to let people pay cash at those stops, it would speed things up a lot. They wouldn't need to offer a lot of choice, 90 minute or 1 day tickets would be ideal. Is it rule of the scumbag or is there another reason?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

They did try this with a machine on College Green a few years back, didn't work out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭markpb

What happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Aquavid

The drivers would probably demand €1000 each for the "change in work practices" involved in having to issue less tickets . . .

Aquavid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mad Finn

Works for the Luas. And the Dart. Why should Dublin Bus be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

They are investigating the possibility of installing them at some busy city centre locations at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

there was also one at the aston quay stop for the 90 bus. didnt last too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

markpb wrote:
    What happened?

Me thinks the scumbag element dealt with the machine

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

Not sure if this is true but I think I remember hearing a story that the "vandal proof" tvm had petrol poured into the coin slot and doused all over the machine and set alight. The most amazing part of the story was the nearest garage was over two miles away :eek:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The LUAS TVM's are hardly an example to go by. Application is written to be used by a first-time user, ticket issuing is slow, application is poorly written - dispensing ticket and change takes place sequentially, unnecessary thank you message on screen prevents next passenger starting for a few seconds.

Maybe I'm being old school but I was thinking a great big box, made from metal with two buttons (90 minute and 1 day) and a cash box. Very like the DB TVMs at the airport in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

Well, the onstreet paid parking machines last so why not this?

the sort of TVM ^^ describes would fit the bill - but do you think DB would go for the simple reliable solution?

The engineers would say they already have them (at the airport) so they should stick with what they know works.

The marketing people will want an all-singing, all-dancing TVM so they don't look bad compared to BE and Luas.

The politicians will form a committee who, not knowing what they're doing, will arrange a string of consultants reports, delaying the process until after the next election or they've brow-beaten DB's management so they know not to suggest anything new in the future.

The passengers will get nothing.

Correct me if I'm wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Slightly off topic, but as I cycle along the Stillorgan Road each morning I've noticed that busses spend a lot of their time stopped while everyone boards. It seems to me that the capacity of the 46A could be increased if each stop was to have a ticket machine and the driver didn't take cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I'm not sure why they don't advertise the tickets that are available more.

I find the "2 Easy" tickets a god send. More details here http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/other.asp I've no idea why they haven't had them for years.

It means I don't have to try and find change for the bus.
    I can bulk buy them.
    And I don't have to queue to get onto the bus.

Very simple and very effective if ya ask me.

A.

aha but that would require the mag-card validator to work perfectly... and DB have a BIG problem with the Ticket Machine software on the new TGX system so very often the mag card validator won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Well, the onstreet paid parking machines last so why not this?
    People don't loiter around parking machines and get bored ....

Advertisement