Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maximum SSIA's x 2 - invest or make capital mortgage repayment?

Options
  • 06-09-2006 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Having reviewed previous posts on AAM, there seems to be realistic returns above and beyond the mortgage APR achievable. I know it's a subjective question but would it be advisable to pay off some of the mortgage (LTV 50% and 2.8 times annual income) or invest elsewhere? I know the mortgage option is a guaranteed return but can't help pondering this question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Having thought about it long and hard myself I went with the investment option. There were a number of reasons for this.

1) My mortgage is fixed at 4.4% and inflation is running close to that.Therefore my mortgage becomes cheaper to pay back over time assuming I get a pay rise roughly in line with inflation every year. If your mortgage is variable it is probably a good idea to pay it off if it is high.

2) I invested with www.quinn-life.com after loads of investigation. Cheap annual fees and medium to good growth depending on how risky you want to go. I am 60% Euro Fund/40% Irish Fund

3) I would have invested in property if I could have afforded it btw.

Advertisement