Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to Therapy? post-Troublegum ?

Options
  • 06-09-2006 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

As a young fella, I loved Therapy?

"Nurse" was an amazing album, followed with a string of great EPs with songs like "Screamager" and "Potato Junkie". "Troublegum" was a bit more predictable and less off-kilter than Nurse, but a good follow-up all the same.

The first time I saw them live was in Salthill in about 1994, supported by Kerbdog (bloody great concert), on "Troublegum" tour. Saw them again in Dalymount Park where they supported (and completely blew away) the Chili Peppers.

But from "Infernal Love" on, they seemed to go downhill. I never could get into that album and did not buy any subsequent ones. The singles I heard and reviews I read for new albums never inspired confidence that they ever hit the heights of their early albums again.

Does anybody have a good explanation for what happened to Therapy? How did they go from indie metal darlings to a dad rock sideshow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Like all bands - they grew up - you can only play indie for a certain while before you either quit or change.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The one after Infernal Love, called Suicide Pact, You First is deadly. It's as far from dad rock as you can get. More experimental (well as experimental as you can expect from a band like Therapy?) and a wicked sense of humour. Apart from that I haven't bothered with their albums. I'll still go see them live as they're still a great live act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I liked Infernal Love and Suicide Pact the past few have been cack though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Black NG-60-90

Never apologise, never explain was a pretty good album. Yeah they had the chance in the mid-90's to make it big but it just didn't happen for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well, I do know that the drummer Graham Hopkins left and is now playing for a band called Boss Volenti. Funny enough, they are having an album release night in whelans tomorrow night. They are really good but nothing like therapy if thats what your looking for.

www.bossvolenti.com

Andy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

What did they do?
    What they didn't do was play the easy game and write another Troublegum. They deserve respect for that alone. The albums after that have been different and still rockin'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Ah therapy? what a great band, I'm sorry I missed them at GNR. Stupid wife wouldn't go into their tent the headache she got at a Therapy? gig in Witnness a few years back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I think Fyfe Ewing left back when they were big. Then they got a full time cellist. Saw them on T.V. a few months back, playing at some open air free gig in Belfast. They were a bit metally and not too tight and Andy Cairns voice didn't sound the best.
    Back about 7 or 8 years ago, a friend of mine was in UCG and saw Therapy? in a smallish club (Bar Cuba probably). He was a big fan and wanted Andy Cairns' autograph. He couldn't find any paper so he got him to sign his bank link card on the strip on the back where he hadn't bothered signing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Well, I do know that the drummer Graham Hopkins left and is now playing for a band called Boss Volenti. Funny enough, they are having an album release night in whelans tomorrow night. They are really good but nothing like therapy if thats what your looking for.

www.bossvolenti.com

Andy

yeah..and seen him play for another band too which i cant put my finger on..
    *taps chin*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

My little funhouse and more recently, Halite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

You can check out a recent enough live gig over at www.fabchannel.com :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Therapy? peaked with their first two LPs, Babyteeth and Pleasure Death. Saw them play some deadly gigs around 1990 - 1992. Anytime I DJed, Meat Abstract caused a riot.

Nurse was quite good, Troublegum less so. After that I lost interest.

Advertisement