Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

some help

Options
  • 05-09-2006 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭

hey guys was wondering if you could give me a hand with something. i just got a american strat and i want to lock the bridge so when i rest my hand on it to pick it doesnt do the whammy thing! can anyone tell me how to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

You don't really want to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Tighten the screws which pull the springs which provide the opposing force to the pull of the strings.

Duff Man, do you want to block the trem or set the bridge flush against the body?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Duff man ! Where's the pix of yer new guitar? ;)

These are the screws Dr J is talking about:

springs.jpg
    Also it may help to detune the strings before you do what Dr J says.

Edited to add: If you are doing this to aid tuning stability, this should be the last thing on the list, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

yeh i had thought of detuning the strings first! i just want the bridge to sit flush so it wont move when i rest my hand on it to pick. its iratatin me! how tight should i make them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Tight enough that when you bend a string it doesn't pull the bridge up.

Ok, I initially thought you wanted to block the trem.

You just need to tighten the claws, that's all.

The normal (factory spec) distance between a strat bridge and the body is 1/8". That's almost flush, but not completely and it won't move (drastically) when you rest your palm on it.

Is this a new guitar? You should have gotten a setup booklet with it. Not that you really need it, but it can help if you haven't messed around with bridges before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Hmmmm. I had this problem too when I first played my Strat. My solution was to NOT rest my hand on the bridge when picking. This has had 2 effects. 1)It has improved my picking ability. 2)It made me use my Eggle more when I wanted to pick AND rest my hand on the bridge! ;)

Ancient1. The booklet! Come on.......... that's just wierd with all thoses measurements and tools and stuff. :D

Now yer all gettin to see why I play guitar mostly alone :(

Quattroste wrote:
    .... My solution was to NOT rest my hand on the bridge when picking....

That makes sense. Also it seems to me that if the heel of your picking hand is far enough back on the bridge to make it move then the middle and ring fingers of your picking hand will be moving the vol knob at the same time :eek:

One of my strats has only 2 springs in it and even with that one my picking hand never moves the bridge. Or maybe its more accurate to say that accidently moving the bridge is the very least of my many playing problems.

Different strokes for different folks etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Different strokes for different folks etc....

Pickstrokes? :D

• Advertisement

Pickstrokes? :D
    I prefer to flog my whammy bar in the privacy of my own home.;)

Duff man. Cant see your pics. Can you make your album public or something?

there we go made it public! didnt know i had to do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Nice Guitars Duff Man. Never played an SG, but If I was to, it would look like that one ;)

Yeah! Very nice SG and nice wood grain in your Strat too. Enjoy 'em!

the pic doesnt really do the strat any justice! you have to see it to really see it if u get me:P but yeh the sg is a sexy beast! one of the best guitars iv ever played!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

how hard do you rest your hand on the bridge??? Cos i did it to and it never resulted in any 'whammy thing'..

Advertisement