Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOw many of you want yto save SG1

Options
  • 05-09-2006 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Any fans of Stargate SG1 need to move now snailmail the stations you view it on and inform them how you feel at the loss I suggest snailmail; as E-Maail is to easily filtered and lost

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If its gotten as tired as many suggest that it has (I'm following the pack on DVD, so still only back at pre-Atlantis), then I say let it die a dignified death.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

If its gotten as tired as many suggest that it has then I say let it die a dignified death.

Agreed. If it was to be "saved" then there would have to be some sort of guarantee that the writers/producers/directors etc. would improve the standard of programmes. Some of season 9 (and from what I hear, Season 10 as well) have been poor to say the least.

What type of guarantee would suffice - I really don't know as it has been around for so long it would be extremely difficult to see it being taken in a new direction that wouldn't be a re-hashing of previous storylines.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Are you user45701's cousin?

Tazzle wrote:
    Are you user45701's cousin?

No, I don't think so. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well...the ratings were constantly slipping but when RDA left they dropped dramatically but stayed decent enough. But then they dropped dramatically again when Vala joined.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Kojak wrote:
    No, I don't think so. :confused:

It was directed at the OP Kojak ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I'd love to see another season but wouldn't like to see the show flap around the way the xfiles did near the end, I think it would be brilliant to see a motion picture of sg-1, don't know what plot I'd like to see played out best though :( god i've watched this show since the very first ep, i love it, and now it looks like it's going to be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Tazzle wrote:
    It was directed at the OP Kojak ;)

Tazzle, please try to direct your comments at the topic, rather than particular posters. Consider this a friendly warning.

Angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Well...the ratings were constantly slipping but when RDA left they dropped dramatically but stayed decent enough. But then they dropped dramatically again when Vala joined.

I cannot stand Vala :( She bring's nothing to the show. What we have now is a Farscape and Andromeda rest home!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Vala is the best thing to happen to SG1 in the last 2 seasons, IMO (and I'm not a farscape fan).

• Advertisement

I don't think the addition of Vala has helped SG-1. She has only really made crude jokes that have, IMO, reduced the idea of SG-1 being a drama. It now more resembles a bad sitcom.

Re-invention of a programme is fine as long as its done well - however I cannot say that for SG-1 after season 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Kojak wrote:
    I don't think the addition of Vala has helped SG-1. She has only really made crude jokes that have, IMO, reduced the idea of SG-1 being a drama. It now more resembles a bad sitcom.

Re-invention of a programme is fine as long as its done well - however I cannot say that for SG-1 after season 8.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

*Agrees with Kojak*

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Yes, lets all blame one character for the downfall of stargate. On second thought lets not. Theres only so many times you can rehash old story lines with a "new" twist. Stargate was great when it started, but many avenues for advancing the story where passed up in favour of the cheap and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

I like Vala's character her lack of being a goodie two shoes is refreshing their i said it i like the character. Falling ratings could be blamed on alot of things like really bad plots, to many filler episodes, being beamed out of all inconvenient situations, it's a long list just browse the forums and you will find plenty of things people dislike about the show currently. Anyway without her where would be the comic relief?
    Back on topic, let the show die, it's death is going to be bad as it is drag it out for another season and I willl not even be able to look back fondly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

i say dignified death! i want to at least see the whole ori story brought to a decent close, because there is no point in even showing the rest of the season if they're just gonna leave us hanging :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

I'd love to see another season but wouldn't like to see the show flap around the way the xfiles did near the end, I think it would be brilliant to see a motion picture of sg-1, don't know what plot I'd like to see played out best though :( god i've watched this show since the very first ep, i love it, and now it looks like it's going to be gone.

Agreed - motion picture would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Indeed.

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

TmB wrote:
    Vala is the best thing to happen to SG1 in the last 2 seasons, IMO (and I'm not a farscape fan).
    I concur, she wouldn't have fit in or been needed in early sg1, but lets face it, since s08 its been woefull, at least she's something to look at and makes some jokes.

if you could do a feature length film involving the proper sg1 cast then that'd be a great way to end it imo, but that seems unlikely.

• Advertisement

I concur, she wouldn't have fit in or been needed in early sg1, but lets face it, since s08 its been woefull, at least she's something to look at and makes some jokes.

Is it just me or does anyone else not get this idea that vala is attractive. I think she is one of the worst looking dogs ive ever seen, just look at that nose.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Is it just me or does anyone else not get this idea that vala is attractive.

Here's another - I don't know what some lads see in her. If the casters/producers (or whoever) thought that she would "sex up" SG-1, then they were sadly mistaken, IMO.

Do you not realise that that is exactly the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

SG-1 has always had humour, its just that it use to be jack who would bring the wit to the show

There is nothing witty about Vala, the humour that comes from her is as crass at it comes.

mcgarnicle wrote:
    There is nothing witty about Vala, the humour that comes from her is as crass at it comes.

Agreed, and this attempt by the writers to "tone her down" hasn't worked - she's still as annoying as ever.

If they had completely changed her character during the time she was in the Ori galaxy (Through out season 9), she might have been bearable, but alas she is still making the same tired sex jokes that would be more akin to a 14 year old. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

The Show is fine the way it is with jack the show got a overall 9 and 1/2 out of 10 without him the show still gets a HIGH overall 9 or mabe 8 and 1/2
    BSG overall does get a 10 tho....

Still i have no wish to see sg1 cancelled and i love the show so much and have watched it since it first aired all those years ago, actually i was just remembering last nite - do any of you from Dublin remember the night it 1st aired on sky 1?
    There was a power cut in a large area of dublin 1/2 way though the episode and the nice people at sky1 repeated it 2 weeks later on a friday night instead of there friday night movie thing they used to do all thos eyears ago.

I Love the show but i will admit that for several reasons lazyness and personal reasons i have`nt botherd to send letters or e-mails but im in a new job now miles away from home or any distractions and i have a 1 hour lunch if i didnt have so much to do today i would write and send letters today but i will do it someday soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Let it die with whatever grace it has left. I won't say Vala was the absolute Taint, but her sense of Humour is childish..not that it didnt work some rare occassions but lets Empahsize RARE...in fact, it was when she possessed Daniel, so technically, it was Daniel. Speaking of which, him and Sam are great outlets of humour when they want to be :)

I would have been happy with it ending with the defeat of the Gould and Replicators, if it werent for the anti-climatic season finale that followed /=(

Mop up the season, and let the Writers spend a good long time creating these movies, so they can lay it to rest, and do it with such glory as befits the longest running SciFi of all time (which ironically is the problem, isnt it :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

You do make a fair point but i love SG1 and it saddens me to let a great sci-fi show go and TBH SG1 dying makes me wonder what elce do we have left besides SGA and BSG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

only the hope something else will capture our imagination....or, that we'll grow up :D

Advertisement