Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather this week and weekend

Options
  • 05-09-2006 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭

Could somebody give me a forecast for weather this weekend?

Just interested to know if any low pressures are coming our way and what speed and direction the wind might be coming from...:)

Comments

Present indications suggest there might actually be high pressure for next weekend ie calm and fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Groovy....Thanks.

i supoooooose there is no where to get a hold of a potential weather chart for Friday night/Sat morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Saturday noon.
    http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/synoptic.asp

Hit on the T+120 for saturday.Or else select the rest of the tabs on the top for other days.NB:120=120 hours from now.

Looks alright for the northern half of the country.
    Not so nice down the south.
    Still a way off atm but things can change.

Cheers thanks for that.

Just interested to see what the weather will be like come the high spring tides we are supposed to experience this weekend.

Curious to see if there will be a storm surge/ low pressure/ wind

Good point,with an easterly wind also it could be interesting with the onshore breeze and high tides espeicially here in the east.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Hi, the weather for the coming weekend will be fine and settled with light winds and comfortably warm. Probrably quite sunny too.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1021.png :)

Damomanye wrote:

I reckon we will be grand...but you never know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Galway has been issued with serious flood warnings for the city starting tomorrow night possibly peaking on thurs evening at high tide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

swalsh wrote:
    Galway has been issued with serious flood warnings for the city starting tomorrow night possibly peaking on thurs evening at high tide
    Sounds interesting, do you have a link or did you hear it on the radio or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭charlie@w.d

this has featured alot in todays papers and the news, the worst flood in 21 years thats quite a claim, there must be some flooding going to happen. but here its not been talked about at all, how come?
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1682820&issue_id=14605

there will only be flooding if there is a low pressure or certain directions from the wind....these are not forecast to occur so it will be unlikely there will be any flooding at all.

the high tide is just 20cm at most higher than normal and as long as nothing exacerbates this, everywhere will be more or less fine this weekend.

Agreed,there will be a light SE wind but nothing to extreme that will cause flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Differences between forecast temperatures are interesting. For today (thursday) Met Eireann on RTE just before 8am gave 16-19 with highest temps in the south. So here in Cork this would mean the latter. But local radio 96fm gave temps reaching 23! Clearly from different sources. It would be useful if sources were given. It would only take 2 seconds. At 12 noon Cork airport was at 16, so I think Met Eireann will win this one!

Snowbie wrote:
    Agreed,there will be a light SE wind but nothing to extreme that will cause flooding.
    Even so, it's never a good sign when letters are delivered to every house in your estate regarding flooding/procedures and a big heap of sandbags is left at the entrace for people to take.

trogdor wrote:
    Even so, it's never a good sign when letters are delivered to every house in your estate regarding flooding/procedures and a big heap of sandbags is left at the entrace for people to take.

Really? Which estate are you in.... Little bray? Seapoint?

Tbh, there will be another high tide event in October and again in November. With adverse weather it is possible that there might be flooding then in low lying areas on the coast.

Better safe than sorry.

trogdor wrote:

Its called precaution as the corpo/councils are terrified of a repeat preformance of 2002.
    Did you get letters/flyers back then too.I guess no.

RuggieBear wrote:
    Really? Which estate are you in.... Little bray? Seapoint?

Tbh, there will be another high tide event in October and again in November. With adverse weather it is possible that there might be flooding then in low lying areas on the coast.

Better safe than sorry.
    I live in seapoint court, i suspect October will be the one to watch for the worst flooding. In regard to Snowbie's question, no i didn't get any flyers or anything in 2002, there's alot of work going on all of a sudden on the mouth of the Dargle to try prevent flooding, some of which was explained in the letter we recieved. Mostly fixing valves on pipes out of the sewarage works near us so that the water doesn't come up through the pipes and flood everywhere berfore the river breaches its banks. I personally don't think their efforts will make much difference, if it's going to flood that's it.

As Ruggie said better safe than sorry.
    At least there not sitting back and hoping it wont flood.
    Anyway i shall think it be a non event,with just a high tide to report.

is this an annual thing because i have heard of spring tides and stuff but there seems to be more talk about it this year, or is it because the moon is alot stronger this year then other years resulting in tides been exceptionally higher than other years

• Advertisement

is this an annual thing because i have heard of spring tides and stuff but there seems to be more talk about it this year, or is it because the moon is alot stronger this year then other years resulting in tides been exceptionally higher than other years
    Every 18 years or so, the moon and the sun line up in a straight line with our part of the earth to create even higher spring tides (and lower neap tides).

Good article in the irish times about it a few days back i'll look for it and maybe post it later

trogdor wrote:
    I live in seapoint court, i suspect October will be the one to watch for the worst flooding. In regard to Snowbie's question, no i didn't get any flyers or anything in 2002, there's alot of work going on all of a sudden on the mouth of the Dargle to try prevent flooding, some of which was explained in the letter we recieved. Mostly fixing valves on pipes out of the sewarage works near us so that the water doesn't come up through the pipes and flood everywhere berfore the river breaches its banks. I personally don't think their efforts will make much difference, if it's going to flood that's it.

did you notice any flooding at high tide last night? Or anything unusual?

RuggieBear wrote:
    did you notice any flooding at high tide last night? Or anything unusual?
    No, but that's because i was already in bed. High tide is around just after midnight and i didn't think there was that much threat.:D . Will probably stay up tonight and take a few pics maybe:)

yeah i read up about it and your right the highest in 18 years. so we better hope that its nice and dry and not windy on october 8th and november 6th, will we get lucky? there are also other dates where its gonna be high too. so i think we are definetly going to get flooded more so than other years.

Advertisement