Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how hard is it to get an apprenticeship??

Options
  • 04-09-2006 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

hi im thinking of doing a studying law at griffith college.but im worried about the prospects of getting an apprenticeship to continue to train as a solicitor.how hard is it to get an apprenticeship??is it as hard as other apprenticeships like an apprentice electrician,mechanic etc.is their a website were apprenticships are advertised?how do people get to know of apprenticships on offer?where are they advertised??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 cramming

I know one person who has all 8 FE1's and has been looking for a solid year! Other people i know have gotten offers without even having any FE1's....

In short unless you are one of the very lucky ones finding an apprenticeship will be a lot of effort.... if you have any contacts in the Solicitors profession i would advise you to start asking around.... the top 5 firms generally call around to College's early in the 1st term year (October or November from memory..... they have hundreds of applicants for anywhere between 10 - 25 jobs)

Edited this to say - while it is very difficult it is not impossible and the very best of luck if you decide to go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

j2u wrote:
    how hard is it to get an apprenticeship??is it as hard as other apprenticeships like an apprentice electrician,mechanic etc?

In short, it is extremely difficult to get an apprenticeship. Is it as hard to get as other apprenticeships that you have mentioned? By a long, long, long way it is harder to get an apprenticeship as a solicitor.

Is there a website where they are advertised? Answer is no. It's really only the biggest firms that advertise on their own websites for apprentices. All the rest usually get enough unsolicited cvs in the post to fill any vacancies. Sometimes, very occassionaly they are advertised in the law society gazette or even in the Irish Times but don't hold your breath.

As Cramming said, while it is very difficult it is not impossible to secure an apprenticeship. My advice would be to think long and hard before making any decisions. And don't forget to factor in Fe1's (notoriously difficult) exams into the equation. I myself am an apprentice, so I know what I'm talking about. But, if you want any advice or guidance pm me and i'll be glad to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

You should look to do para legal jobs and what not in firms as they may take you on. If you are going to study law you have so many summers and various holidays to get a crappy job, impress them and build up a network of contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

As it happens there is an apprenticeship advertised in the aug/sept law society gazette, for a north Dublin city firm. Good luck to all those who go for it.

Advertisement