Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Patrol New Album?

Options
  • 04-09-2006 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

A question for Snow Patrol fans!I'm a bit behind asking this but I've been giving it a chance! What do you think of the new album?I love love Snow Patrol so much but its just not a patch on their other albums I think. I just don't think it's as interesting or explorative as the other ones, it's a bit predictable. Just wondering what other people think.

Which Snow Patrol album is your favourite? 20 votes

Songs For Polar Bears
    0% 0 votes
    When It's All Over We Still Have To Clear Up
    25% 5 votes
    Final Straw
    5% 1 vote
    Eyes Open
    70% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

Haha, I picked Songs For Polar Bears but I think its actually Final Straw that's my fave....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Final Straw easily.

As with Eyes Open, I thought it was really good, some very good tracks. When I hear the songs on the radio, I like them alot, but unfortunately, the album never appeals to me enough to put it on to listen to it. I much rather listening to Final Straw. As for Songs for Polar Bears and When It's all over, Im not really pushed by them, they have some good tracks, but I much prefer the later stuff. All in all, they are a great band, one of favorites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

I love them all but I'm going to have to go with Final Straw aswell;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Am I the only one who wonders whether Snow Patrol qualify as being "alternative" ? What is alternative about Final Straw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Am I the only one who wonders whether Snow Patrol qualify as being "alternative" ? What is alternative about Final Straw ?
    They are bordering on indie/pop but what is alternative anymore.

Surely alternative can only be applied to a genre in it's infancy and once it become mainstream, as indie has become, it's no longer alternative.

They are the "alternative" to Coldplay :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

it was a tought choice for me...but only between two albums. I'm an original Snow Patrol fan from back in 1999 or whenever Polarbears came out.

From their debut album they became my favourite band. They had a raw sound and combined it with some crazy instruments like scratching on decks for "Gravity " and the brave vocals on "Is this On?" It was a style of music that i had never heard before.

Their second album didn't explore as much variation as the debut. It focused on a lot of love related songs with subtle chellos and the odd violion, this is the album when they first began to do epic tracks. I can't remember the exact name but it's the one with olive branch in the title...is amazing. Pure genius. The album is lyrically one of the greatest albums i have ever heard in my life and for those reasons i picked it as my favourite. It was a hard choice.

As for the two albums after that :mad:
    ****IN' ****E! No diversity, they jumped on a bandwagon. Lyrics dried up. They even appeared on the christmas song thing or whatever it was. They all of a sudden had an orchestra on every single ****ing track. They had more milk than a parlour. Terrible to see it happen tbh.

I decided to gice Songs for Polar Bears another go there today. I take back what I said earlier in the thread. It's really good. Will give the other one ago tomorrow.

Ah that's cool because it's a really good album. The song is called 'An Olive Grove facing the Sea' and it is quality, that album is brilliant. Have any of you heard their song 'Post Punk Progression'? It's from cut la rocs or something like that, not sure but they used to play it live, they don't anymore since they brought out Eyes Open and it's a shame they don't! And 'The Reindeer Section' thing is really good too, some of the songs they made are really good. I can't stop listening to Final Straw lately, it's addictive or something!:)

And 'The Reindeer Section' thing is really good too, some of the songs they made are really good.

I love Your Sweet Voice, it's one of my favourite songs, Son of an Evil REindeer is such a good album, brilliant the whole way through. Don't have the other album though, it is on my wishlist ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

definately songs for polar bears..the whole album is quality whereas final straw and the new one have the odd good song but the rest are forgettable

• Advertisement

Yeah Songs For Polar Bears is brilliant. They seemed to be a lot more adventurous then compared to now, tried different things. They've probably found the style they like playing with and what they think sounds best but it's actually dissapointing if that's the case because their music was a lot more interesting back then than now I think. They seem to have taken the obvious route with their music.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Yeah Songs For Polar Bears is brilliant. They seemed to be a lot more adventurous then compared to now, tried different things. They've probably found the style they like playing with and what they think sounds best but it's actually dissapointing if that's the case because their music was a lot more interesting back then than now I think. They seem to have taken the obvious route with their music.

oh definately..i also refer to iain archer as a main player (along with gary of course) songwriting wise in snowpatrol in the good old days and if you look at his stuff now i always wonder "what would the snow be like if iain still had something to do with them?"..i think that in a small way the lads are wanting to stay in the spotlight a bit too much so are writing to please the critics a bit too much if you get what i mean, the new album is far too commercial in my opinion and i was like "meh!" when the new album came out. as radio singles, the songs off "eyes open" (is that what its called?that shows how much i care about it!!) are good but i wouldnt make the effort of listening to the album as a whole.

if this reply makes no sense i apologise!! im doing at least three things at the moment and my brain is clogged with sh1te!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭pvt. joker

they're on the soundtrack for The Last Kiss, but it's "chocolate". i was hoping for a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Have to go with 'When its all over...'. Bought it on the strength of a review when it came out, hadnt heard 'Polar Bears'. Fantastic album with incredible range from the stomping 'Black and Blue' (after a sweet opening mind u) to unbelievably gorgeous 'An Olive Grove Facing the Sea'. Saw the beginnings of the anthemic tracks they have become famous for with a track that I cant remember the name of (chorus goes 'Its not me that you want.....'), which nonetheless was a powerful yearning alt/rock.

Unfortunately, yes the big machine has got its claws in which is always dissapointing but somewhat inevitable. - there are flashes of the old adventurism on the recent albums but yes the big compressed power balleds are the ones making the waves. However though an 'alt' fan (or something), I will admit to being a sucker for a raw emotive song even as unashamedly commercial as 'Chasing Cars', saw it live in NYC last Friday and it brought the house down and twud put the hairs up on the back of yer neck. Then again so does Starfighter Pilot. And seemingly 'How to be dead' (1st track from Final Straw) is a massive favourite everywhere too which was hardly destined for the mainstream with starkly honest lyrics like 'when the ecstacy's in, the wit is definitely out'. I remember seeing them in Temple BMC about 5 years ago and they debuted 'Run', eveybody loved it instantly, that was the problem...

My point?? Havent a bleedin clue... but there ye go, "When its all over..." for me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

you cant go anywhere on the west and east coast of the states without hearing something form eyes open, they're huge at the moment.

working in hard rock in Hawaii and SP and Keane were constantly on - it was very weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pastel_Princess

Saw the beginnings of the anthemic tracks they have become famous for with a track that I cant remember the name of (chorus goes 'Its not me that you want.....')

"It's not me that you love..." is One Night Is Not Enough from When It's All Over We Still Have To Clear Up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

I cant get enough of Eyes Open, amazing that it was all wrote in a cootage in Dingle they woke up every morning too go for a walk on the beach and spent the rest of the day recording the album :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dra1ocht

Agreeing with him above me.. Quality album.. great when typing out the long essays!! A lot of thoughts muddled together make for some class music. Chasing Cars-- Everyone keeps saying that it makes them cry...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

not dreadful but nevertheless disappointing direction they decided to take.:(

Advertisement