Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Damage

Options
  • 04-09-2006 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all,
    was involved in a minor accident recently with a taxi driver. His car needs a new light and wing, he says he cant drive the car as been a taxi driver he could get lifted for it. just wondering if anybody knows is there a standard daily rate that I have to give him while his car is off the road?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

j2dab wrote:
    Hi all,
    was involved in a minor accident recently with a taxi driver. His car needs a new light and wing, he says he cant drive the car as been a taxi driver he could get lifted for it. just wondering if anybody knows is there a standard daily rate that I have to give him while his car is off the road?
    Thanks in advance

You might be better posting in Commuting/Transport. There are a few regular posting taxi drivers there (even right now:)).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

moved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

What you should do is upon settlement of the claim (I assume you are putting it through the insurance companies), ask him for a statement of his average daily earnings, and forward it to your insurance company; chances are that if he does want to claim for this, he would lodge it with his own broker. That or throw him €50 and get him to rent a car from Citycabs for a day or two.

I can see his point about the light, but he hardly will be done for a broken side wing unless it's totally arseways. As well, would you get into a cab that is crumpled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

And just pay him a half days compo for today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I had a taxi driver (10 years ago) tell me that as his car was in for warranty repairs for 3 days he wanted compo for the loss of earnings. I told him to show me his revenue returns to prove this and I'd see what I could do. That was the last I seen of him.....................:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ive seen loads of taxi's driving around with bad rear damage meaning they had to use on of those stretchy elastic things with hooks on them to keep the boot closed, my arse does he have to stay off the road.

Some taxis are in such a state they shouldnt be on the road int he first place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If he is asking you for money chances are he is chancing his arm. I wouldnt pay him. Pay for the damage of the car of course but not the loss of his earnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Hamndegger wrote:
    What you should do is upon settlement of the claim (I assume you are putting it through the insurance companies), ask him for a statement of his average daily earnings, and forward it to your insurance company; chances are that if he does want to claim for this, he would lodge it with his own broker. That or throw him €50 and get him to rent a car from Citycabs for a day or two.

Deal with it via insurance the way it should be. Pay him € 50,- is ridiculous. They are not exactly poor all those wining taxi drivers. I work a lot with delegates from around the world and I´d say that 90% of them get ripped off by taxi drivers for not knowing their way around town. So, no sympathy for taxi drivers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I'm going to put my dislike for taxi drivers aside now.

Seriously, don't pay him unless you have a fully written out contract or he might come back and try to do you for more while saying "I never got a penny".

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im a part time taxi driver. As far as the condition of a car used as a taxi is concerned ,a taxi driver needs to keep his car in fairly good nick.

A broken tail light or damaged wing is certainly not acceptable.I wouldnt offer any cash to the driver...Id let the insurance company take care of any claims.

as another poster said ask the taxi driver for proof of his income if he is looking for compensation for loss of earnings and see what he says...its not like it used to be anymore all Taxi drivers need to get thier Tax Clearance Certs each year to get thier Plate renewed so they must declare thier incomes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

j2dab wrote:
    just wondering if anybody knows is there a standard daily rate that I have to give him while his car is off the road?
    A friend rear ended a taxi last year. His insurance company paid a standard daily rate (either e270/day or e90/day)* while the taxi was off the road.

* I remember that 3 days were involved and e270 was involved, not sure if it was 270/day. Having said that, e90/day is a gross around 23k/year which isn't huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Some guy ploughed into me and I was off the road for a month. I too thought I could claim for loss of earnings and after talking to my solicitor and union head their points were why could'nt I work if I was not injured. The fact that my car was off the road did not matter, I could of rented and worked. Now I could of claimed for the rental but not for loss of earnings. So OP I'd dispute this and get advice from a solicitor. If the taxi driver was not injured he could of worked.

Advertisement