Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rogue traders?

Options
  • 04-09-2006 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

a quick question: how do I go about reporting a what it seems rogue trader?
    This guy has been "working" for a neighbour, an elderly man, and he's quoting unreal amounts for minor work, and suggesting crazy changes to the house and garden that are totally unecessary and uncalled for.

I know that it's basically up to the old man who called the builder in, but I feel really bad seeing this guy being ripped off (he was quoted 4000 Euros to replace a couple of tiles on the roof - a total of 30 mins work...seems a bit much to me!)

So, anywhere I could go? Or at least start an investigation? Any help appreciated!

Cheers
    galah

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

galah wrote:
    Hi all,

a quick question: how do I go about reporting a what it seems rogue trader?
    This guy has been "working" for a neighbour, an elderly man, and he's quoting unreal amounts for minor work, and suggesting crazy changes to the house and garden that are totally unecessary and uncalled for.

I know that it's basically up to the old man who called the builder in, but I feel really bad seeing this guy being ripped off (he was quoted 4000 Euros to replace a couple of tiles on the roof - a total of 30 mins work...seems a bit much to me!)

So, anywhere I could go? Or at least start an investigation? Any help appreciated!

Cheers
    galah

not a lot u can do, as it is up to the old man, but what I find helps all the time is to ask to see:
    Their insurance.
    their tax clearance paperwork and insist that all monies are paid into a bank account, using a bank transfer.
    Not a chegue, even crossed they can be cashed in a shop pub.

This usually gets them on the move.

Mind your self

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

actually, that was another issue - the trader wanted half the money in cash, and the other half in cheques - seemed very dodgy to me...

I know that the old guy won't do anything (probably being too complacent or too afraid to speak up and complain to or about the trader), but there must be something that could be done!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Hi

Why don't you go in to his house and have a chat about it and get him to get couple of other quotes.

He'll will appreciate it.

Thanks

Advertisement