Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The High Court - How it works?

Options
  • 04-09-2006 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Hey there, just a quick question on the above. Well how does it work?

Is it as simple as Judge, plaintiff, defendant & respective council?

How long does a case take to be heard from it being submitted? For example, an injunction to stop something going ahead.

I've tried googling it but couldn't come up with anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Injunctions by their very nature tend to be heard quick. For example if I was a high profile movie star and I heard that Irelands Own was going to run a story about the fact that I enjoy sitting in a bath of baked beans for hours on end, and I feel that it will damage my reputation if it's printed then it's an injunction I need; the reason being that effectively if I were to sue for defamation sometime down the road, the damage would be done. An injunction heads off potential damage at the pass and so, as things go, they tend to happen quickly.

So - say Irelands own is to hit the streets on Satuday and i hear this on thursday...2 days beforehand, that would certainly be time to get an interim injuction in place. There'd be a more significant hearing at a later date, but it woudl do the job in the short term.

that kind of thing is expensive. Very expensive. The solicitor and barrister doing this in our example would pretty much not do any other work on the thurday or friday so you'd pay for the fact that they'd be 'letting down' other people.

Advertisement