Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gatwick

Options
  • 03-09-2006 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Anyone been through LGW in the last week or 2?

I'm doing my first day return to Gatwick since the latest terrorist excitement on Tuesday. Are the new security arrangements having a big effect? I'm very familiar with Gatwick and will only have some small hand luggage with no controversial items! Should I allow more time than usual to get through security?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

Was there two weeks ago.
    Queues for security are a nightmare, if you arrive in plenty of time you may want to have a look upstairs in the Village Shopping area, there maybe an
    extra unsigned queue to get through security. I went through there, the queues
    were very small compared to the ones downstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Thanks markf909. When you say it was a nightmare, any estimate on queueing time to get airside? I'm on the last Ryanair to Dublin btw, leaving around 20:55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭markf909

Sarsfield wrote:
    Thanks markf909. When you say it was a nightmare, any estimate on queueing time to get airside? I'm on the last Ryanair to Dublin btw, leaving around 20:55

As you go from the Ryanair desks towards the security areas, the queue went all the way back from there, then the entire length of the back of the terminal along the easy jet counters and back around to the top of where the Ryanair area is!
    That was for an afternoon flight, I don't know what things will be like for the evening flight. One thing to bear in mind is that they are very strict with the hand-luggage dimensions.
    I got a tip-off about the upsriairs area and with that shorter queue was queing for at least an hour.

Oh ****e :o

Just back from Gatwick.

Maybe it's that the holiday season pretty much ended last weekend, or that Tuesday is the best day to go flying (probably a bit of both), but I had my easiest passage through Gatwick ever this evening. I was a max of 3 minutes getting through security at 7pm. Even though they're doing the 'shoes throught the scanner' thing ala Dublin earlier this year. I'd arrived good and early and almost felt like demanding a long wait ;)

I like Gatwick more & more every time I use it!

Edited to add that Ryanair are now boarding those who checked in online at the same time as the kids & oldies. It's great skipping straight past the queues at the gates!

• Advertisement
Advertisement