Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get 2.85% interest on your life savings overnight

Options
  • 02-09-2006 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

Not putting this on the football investments thread, but despite the fact we would all laugh ourselves silly if England tripped up against Andorra, it simply isn't going to happen. There is 90,000 sterling available on Betfair to back England over 90 minutes at 1.03 - this works out 1.0285 or 2.85% interest overnight. You won't get this from the bank over six months. Most of the major bookmakers have only priced this one up because they have to, and they all go 1.01 (1/100), the Betfair price actually represents great value

Take whatever you can from your account dump it in Betfair and download your money with interest later on this evening. Stranger things have happened, but this is one I just can't see not happening. If they (england) fail to win this one, then I think I will retire from gambling for life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Only have 600 odd euro. Waste of time betting that. 1.10 for england-england.

Andorra are 80/1. This is the biggest odds i have seen for a team in a one off match, is it a record?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

What about the 5% betfair commission?

What could be value is LAYING England and if they fail to score for the first 15mins, then back England for twice the amount so you have the BACK bet but at better odds (hopefully).
    i.e.
    Lay England before match 1.03
    Back them 15 mins gone (o-o) at 1.05 so in effect u have 1.07 on them.
    Just hope England don't score early for this to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

okidoki987 wrote:
    What about the 5% betfair commission?

Bet at 1.03 deduct 5% from 0.03 gives you a price of 1.0285 = 2.85% interest on your money in one afternoon. BTW, the bet is now gone as the 90,000 available this morning has gone. 760,000 now available at 1.02, giveing a price of 1.019 after 5% commission deducted. I knew one guy in 1997 who walked into Ladbrokes the morning before a general election Labour won by a landslide, he had a 100,000 bank draft in his wallet and stuck it on Labour to win the election at 1/20, next day he collected a bank draft for 105,000 from Ladrokes. Not saying it always works - but it can.

Only have 600 odd euro. Waste of time betting that. 1.10 for england-england.

Andorra are 80/1. This is the biggest odds i have seen for a team in a one off match, is it a record?

Chucky you can currently get 1.17 pre coms on Eng/Eng with betfair - I think it looks fantiastic value.

In fact just posting a note of thanks to you chucky for pointing this one out to me. With England 2-0 up its turned out a little bonus bet for me today. In fact I have just had the two biggest bets of my entire life on England to win the match - this morning and then England to win HT/FT at 2-0 up I am assuming they are both winners.

• Advertisement

Bet at 1.03 deduct 5% from 0.03 gives you a price of 1.0285 = 2.85% interest

Yep well spotted
    By the time I called it up it was 1.02/1.03 so wasn't paying enough attention

Got to say my nerves jangled a bit when I placed those bets on betfair and glad to see that very early goal go in for England.... thought about putting it all back on Spain tonight but bottled it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

How are you supposed to get your life savings on betfair? I have a e450 creditcard limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

How are you supposed to get your life savings on betfair? I have a e450 creditcard limit.

If you ring and ask them to up the limit they will. People who have full time jobs and have been working wont for a while wont have a limit. Or it will be set at about 10grand. but they will allow you go over that if you want.

Being a student i have 600 limit. Personnally i prefer it. Stops me risking it all for a profit of 6 euro. :D

Glad it went well for you westtip. I'd say the first 5 minutes was very nerve racking. Biggest bet i have had was only 200euro. Great way to turn a normally dull match you have no interest in to a thriller! Its certainly not good for the heart anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Went for the overs myself, 1.18 was a fair price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I had England/England at I think 1.19. Then Germany in 90 minutes at 1.45.
    Its now on Spain to beat Northern Ireland at 1.29.

If you ring and ask them to up the limit they will. People who have full time jobs and have been working wont for a while wont have a limit. Or it will be set at about 10grand. but they will allow you go over that if you want.

Being a student i have 600 limit. Personnally i prefer it. Stops me risking it all for a profit of 6 euro. :D

Glad it went well for you westtip. I'd say the first 5 minutes was very nerve racking. Biggest bet i have had was only 200euro. Great way to turn a normally dull match you have no interest in to a thriller! Its certainly not good for the heart anyway!

first thing Chucky I would advise never to use a creit card for gambling - if it is a cc you are referring to. Apart from the bad deal you get from the bookies and xchges (a 1.5% deposit fee in the case of Betfair, which can eat into your margin), it is a very bad habit. to ge into. I only ever bet from cash you have in your betting bank and try to use Debit cards (laser or switch if you bet in sterling, which I do) Personally I work from a 20 point bank, my point value is my own business, but on Saturday I had ten points on the england win and a further ten on the HT/FT result - Risking my entire bank on one football match is not something I would normally recommend - to anyone - but in this case I just could not see any other result especially when the team coach admitted they had no chance on Football Focus at lunchtime, and their record spoke for itself, I think they have been losing at halftime in about 95% of their competitive matches (checked this up on the Fifa.com webiste before placing the bet and against teams ranked in the FIFA top twenty it is a 100% record of losing at HT/FT. Yes I did sweat until that first goal - once that went in I knew both bets were safe, as once they have conceded they have never equalised (yes they may have got one back being 5-0 down, but have never equalised.)

With the two bets I got an almost 10% return on my bank winning just under two points - not bad rate of interest as far as I am concerned.

Mind you not happy with the Italy nor Derry results so it wasn't all fun at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The thought of Andorra going 1-0 up against us in Lansdowne after 30 minutes would have put me off this bet immediately. :)

Advertisement