Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sterling cheque

Options
  • 02-09-2006 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I went to BOI with a sterling cheque for £4500 and was told that it would take between 2wks and 2mnths for this cheque to clear and i would have no control over the exchange rate. I gave them my cheque but i am now starting to feel hard done by. Do you thing i should take my cheque back ( or is it too late?) and find a better deal elsewhere? I bank with the BOI.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Probably too late to get it back now as it is probably in their system and I doubt you will get much of a better rate with a different bank. The time they gave you is probably estimated but I'm not sure with a cheque of that size and sterling what difference that might make. This is from a cheque from a UK bank or is it a sterling draft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭blooeyes

it's a sterling cheque issued by a solicitor. I just hate not having control over the exchange rate. hope the rate is good when the except.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

:) Understood, I don't think the euro v sterling rate is going to change too much right now so you should be safe enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

blooeyes wrote:
    I went to BOI with a sterling cheque for £45000 and was told that it would take between 2wks and 2mnths for this cheque to clear and i would have no control over the exchange rate. I gave them my cheque but i am now starting to feel hard done by. Do you thing i should take my cheque back ( or is it too late?) and find a better deal elsewhere? I bank with the BOI.

between 2wks and 2mnths : that is crap. 2 weeks maybe at the outside but not 2 months

I would go back in there and get a more specific answer or else take it up with the regulator see consumer topics at www.ifsra.ie

Re the exchange rate u should not worry about that as u cant control it, however did u ask about fees.

The other point is that
    45,0000* 4.5% for 2 months is 337 in interest, which in this case will go mostly to the solicitor as the cheque will not hit his account for a while.
    Smart move. Get a draft the next time because your credit risk is now the solicitor until the cheque clears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

2 Months?

I think they were pulling your leg? I have lodged sterling cheques before with BOI (Business Account) and it's generally 4-5 working days. God help all cross border trade if 2 months was the norm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement