Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Drum Kits.

Options
  • 01-09-2006 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have experience with Digital Drum Kits (if that's the proper name) I'd love to get a kit for house but obviously REAL drums wouldn't go down to well with kids sleeping and the like.

How much? Do they sound real through a PA? Are they loud acoustic? Are they fun to mess around with?

So many questions...........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've played a couple, and they can sound very good, especially the Roland V-Drums, but they can be quite expensive. They do give a bit of noise acoustically, but not much. Nothing near a 'real' drumset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

http://www.musicstorekoeln.de/en/Drums/10_31_DESET_59_DRU0009516-000/0/0/0/detail/musicstore.html
    The medeli range seem to be sold under the fame brand in musicstore for certain items. Also, V-Drums can be had for less:
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-180373.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

I'd advise nothing below a TD6 tbh, got mine used off of Beecher for €600 I think. Keep an eye in the buy and sell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Quattroste wrote:
    How much? Do they sound real through a PA? Are they loud acoustic? Are they fun to mess around with?

So many questions...........

I bought a Yamaha DTX kit a few years back, mainly for practise, however I gigged it around a couple of times last year. I'm thinking of flogging it, but I need to review all my current gear first.

Roland V-Drums are the daddy. I'm still wresting with my wallet over wether to buy their flagship kit at 5K+

Generally with electronic kits, the pads are much smaller than conventional drums, around 8' - 10'. Most will be stereo, so you can assign a rim sound.

The big difference would be the cymbals, especially the hi-hats.

But they are still great fun to play and practise with.

• Advertisement

Nice one. Now to sell a few bits and get the funds!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

a lap top and a program like reason or fruity loop would do the job for u, u can even hook it up to a pa!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

craze7 wrote:
    a lap top and a program like reason or fruity loop would do the job for u, u can even hook it up to a pa!!!

He obviously wants to play the drums, not have something to make drumbeats. A drum machine is grand and all but nothing compared to a person actually hitting things in real life (even if they are V-Drums).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Quattroste wrote:
    Nice one. Now to sell a few bits and get the funds!
    Let us know before you leap, and carefull buying second-hand.

I also forgot to mention that I had one of those Simmons '50-pence-piece' electronic kits in the late 80's early 90's. Looked great, sounded horrible.

I wish I still had it now, I could hook the pads up to a decent midi-brain and have a usable retro-electronic kit all of my own.

John wrote:
    He obviously wants to play the drums, not have something to make drumbeats. A drum machine is grand and all but nothing compared to a person actually hitting things in real life (even if they are V-Drums).

True John. I have a laptop, fruity loops, Virtual Drummer, a BOSS DR5 Drum machine etc but its just not the same as using the sticks! I have kids too and I want a range of insturments in the house so they can experience creating music for themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement