Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheee Dell support.

Options
  • 01-09-2006 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

First up I have three Dells. I have never had a problem with them in general so never a need to call support. Until now..

Heres the problem. I order the machine online it asks me if I want a normal mouse/keyboard or wireless one. I take wireless one.

The machine arrives and the base station for the mouse/keyboard requires a mouse port to plug into but guess what the machine doesn't have one.

I am still on support call now for about 15 minutes. In that time I have spoken to three people, explained the issue must be well over 10 times.

Just the sheer lack of knowledge is staggering. At one point I am even told to plug the mouse into the back of the PC which I keep trying to point out its not possible as there is no mouse port. Before that I am told because it is wireless I shouldn't even have to plug it in.

Finally they tell me that I can't use a wireless keyboard and mouse with the system and I should of selected Dells normal keyboard and mouse.

When I point out that I bought the system and thier site said it would work why should I be penalised for it?

Shes gone off to speak to a manger now. *sigh*

[edit]

Shes back. Shes now claiming that I shouldn't of bought it so its my fault. I mean ffs thier website gave me the option to buy it. ARRRGGHHH..

shes gone again. :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Thats ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

That is bad. I'm surprised cos normally the Dell site is good for telling you that an option you choose isn't compatiable with your other selections. Just stand your ground and get a refund.

Moving to consumer issues, however, as it's best suited there. They will also give advice on what your rights are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Hobbes wrote:
    Shes back. Shes now claiming that I shouldn't of bought it so its my fault. I mean ffs thier website gave me the option to buy it. ARRRGGHHH..

shes gone again. :/

Time to start the threats procedure. Take a screenie of the advert and send the part where is specifies that it works to Dell. Also tell them you will report them if they don't comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Arghh I feel like I want to punch someone. I've never slammed a phone down on someone before.

First up I should point out that even though the cable wasn't plugged in I had checked the mouse and it wasn't working yesterday evening. I had been using a mouse from another machine before ringing them.

She comes back and tells me that there is no way I could of ordered this as it will not work with that system. I explain that I ordered it online. She tells me she has gone to the customization screen and its not there.

I go online to order another machine and I go to the screen and read it out. I ask her for her email address so I can send a screen shot showing that you can in fact order it. She puts me on hold again.

She comes back again and tells me the keyboard won't work with the machine and that I should of ordered the normal keyboard and I point out that it looks like all I would need is a PS2 to USB convertor and if I had known it would of taken so long and such a pain to deal with support I could of driven to the nearest computer store and just bought rather then expecting Dell to send it out to me.

She puts me on hold again.

Comes back again and says that it should work with just the USB cable and I point out that I tried it last night and it didn't. At this point she says its not Dells fault and I should ring Logitech support.

At this point I am fuming (although not screaming). I mention the machine is less then a day old and it should be covered by Dell, she keeps cutting me off to say I should talk to logitech at which point I tell her if this is the case why don't I just return the whole machine? At which point she changes her tone and said do I want to talk to her manager. I said don't bother I am going to check the cable and if its not working I will be back and slam the phone on her.

Got the missus to check the machine. Cycled it removed the other mouse and click the reset buttons. It worked. Asked the missus to check the Dell instructions (a piece of paper) if it said that it should work without plugging the other cable in, it doesn't.

I can't understand how it took over 20 minutes from telling me I am lying to it doesn't work to it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hobbes,

7 day return if you still can. You have 7 business days to return the system if your not happy with it regardless whats wrong with it. Complain about the service you may even get 25% of the cost back from it.

where was the customer care agent based? I would really stick with it until they refund you for the mouse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Dell's standard home user support is based in india & Scotland - both are full of Muppets.

Dell's business support is based in Cherrywood in Dublin. Click on their business site and the phone number should be there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Business support for Dimensions is in India , slow script jockey hell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭ongarite

Are you saying that you need a USB to PS2 converter for the keyboard and mouse base-station to work?
    I have 2 of these lying aroung somewhere if needed. They can be bought for €5 in any computer shop.

naaa appears it works if you just leave the USB cable in (and if its USB2). The fact that support didn't know this straight up, pretty much called me a liar for ordering the keyboard and claiming it wouldn't work just p!ssed me off. Sent them a complaint. Doubt I'll hear anything of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Hobbes wrote:
    naaa appears it works if you just leave the USB cable in (and if its USB2). The fact that support didn't know this straight up, pretty much called me a liar for ordering the keyboard and claiming it wouldn't work just p!ssed me off. Sent them a complaint. Doubt I'll hear anything of it.

This may sound stupid, but did you get a cd to load the wireless drivers for the wireless mouse and keyboard ?.. after loading the disc info to your computer it should be a simple 'plug and play' connecting with the usb receiver which should have been in the package ?...

P. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I spent hours and hours on the phone to dell after i got my new laptop, i was having a problem recieving wireless, after nearly 5 (!!!) hours on the phone over 2 days he got me to download some driver and its working fine now.

It so infuriating because he kept insisting the problem was with eircom and wouldn't listen to me when i said it worked on other laptops. He just kept saying "call eircom" again and again. *strangle*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Paddy20 wrote:
    This may sound stupid, but did you get a cd to load the wireless drivers for the wireless mouse and keyboard ?.. after loading the disc info to your computer it should be a simple 'plug and play' connecting with the usb receiver which should have been in the package ?...

P. :cool:

It's very rare for "drivers" to come on such a disk. Its generally software to make use of extra function keys etc. Most if not all wireless Keyboards and Mice (or rather their receiver) use a generic HID (Human Interface Device) driver that can be found present even in Windows 98.

Further update on this.

Got a phone at home from a "Stephen" to ring a number which looked like a mobile phone.

Checked the number and it didn't work. Googling around it appears the number is for a place in the UK.

So I ring the UK version of the number, I get rerouted back to India.. ack I'm not going through that crap again. So I hang up.

At the same time I get an email from Dell Tech Support from a "Stephen". Guessing now that the Stephen is a fake name (doesn't seem a common name for an Indian?). The reason I am thinking this is because the grammer isn't the best and they ask me questions I already answered in my complaint.

They do offer a free USB key though (no mention of size). Guess I'll take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

ryan has a gaming mouse he cant return if you want to take it off his hands.

Advertisement