Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leads

Options
  • 31-08-2006 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭

i'm gonna buy a new set of leads for my setup.

Anybody got any preference or ideas of whats supposed to be good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Leaving aside the popular big-brand names, I've heard a lot of good things about this place, not just durability, which seems to be a what the big brands go for, but more in terms of the quality of the cable itself and the clarity of the signal. I was going to get them to sort me out in the not to distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Got this article in a HC newsletter, not a bad read.

Planet Waves leads with a lifetime guarantee is where the money's at imo

What's the hype with Planet Waves?

I just can't bring myself to dish out €30 for a simple cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

that looks interesting doc.the online ordering is offline at the minute tho.

i really only need 4 cables (one for the beginning and one for the end of the chain and the same for the loop).

still tho i don't think 120 euro would be spent on the 4 cables tbh

• Advertisement

you'll never have to buy another cable though...

if you play guitar for 15 years, thats €2 per year, per cable..

bargain really

You could look at it that way.

But I've been using my main lead for 15 years now and never had a bother with it. Now that's quality.

they are nice and quiet i assume

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hrm, I went through 2 "cheap" leads in the past few years until I got a nice mid range Planet Waves last Summer and it hasn't given me a spot of bother since. Signal clarity seems great with no noise and the right angle option is always nice on my SG. :)

If you want a Planet Waves but don't want to spend a fortune just don't bother with the Ciruit Breaker model, while it may be handy it just seems a little bit overkill imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

gizmo wrote:
    ...If you want a Planet Waves but don't want to spend a fortune just don't bother with the Ciruit Breaker model, while it may be handy it just seems a little bit overkill imo.

+1
    And its always off when you want it to be on etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Either Planet Waves or Monster Cables are the way foreward. think monsters are slightly cheaper but just as good

And its always off when you want it to be on etc.

?

You have to quit drinkin, Johnny. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Planet Waves have a good cheaper option, about €15 for 10ft, which isn't too bad. They're well made cables. I wouldn't buy one of those uber-expensive leads, I always lose a few cables at every gig due to general disorganisation, chaos and evil people from other bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Ancient1 wrote:
    ?

You have to quit drinkin, Johnny. :p
    Do you know my wife, then? ;)

I'm familiar with that domestic situation. :p

Remember Mississippi Fred McDowell singing "I asked her for whiskey, she gave me gasoline"?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

hey does anyone know of any good spiral coiled cables like they used in the 60's and 70's. they look cooler!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

They're pretty bad for your signal, so there are no good ones as such. But you can get a poxy one in Maplin as far as I know. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Another vote for Planet Waves here. They're solid as they come, and they will last you. John Petrucci uses these cables, so you know they're quality. Of course, the fact that I use them should be enough for you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

yeah they are the way foreward. loosing cables sucks ass. ive lost a few planet waves over the years too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I have a few planet waves ones, but the bit inside the jack always seems to be breaking itself, I've fixed each of those leads about 20 times each in the past 2 years.

Leem, on the other hand. I bought a leem one a couple of years ago, at a generic price (about 8 quid) and the only problem I've ever had with it was when I seemed to forget that leads aren't infinite length, an ran away from the amp, perpendicular to how the lead was plugged in, and snapped the lead right out of the jack. A wee bit of soldering and all was hoopy, though. 'tis still my lead of choice. It's also a cool transparent-red plastic, and I can see the wiring inside.

might get some planet waves so sound good

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I use Neutrik cables. Steel shells and a mechanism that the more you pull the cable, the more the jack clamps on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

I bought 2 planet waves leads for 60 quid for the lot when I bough my cab 3 years ago, I'm still using the same leads today and after a lot of punishment. Their indestructable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Honestly get yourself 30m of this
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_artikel-158881.html
    and 8 of these and you'll never need another cable again
    http://www.thomann.de/thoiw6_neutrik_np2c_prodinfo.html

Neutrik jacks are as solid as it gets and i've never had any problems with that cable, I use it on 10m runs and its still noiseless/click free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

feylya wrote:
    I use Neutrik cables. Steel shells and a mechanism that the more you pull the cable, the more the jack clamps on.

Neutrik makes cable now?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

They sell brand name cables using neutrik jacks and some cable that I think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

I just soldered neutrik jacks onto some Cordial Microphone cable from Thomann. Effective for the most part, but ironically, some of the leads became microphonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭The Boarder Man

I must thanks a certain French gentleman for posting this outtake from an interview with Cesar Diaz (guitar tech for SRV) on another forum:
    When we were doing the In Step album with Stevie [Ray Vaughan] , I had an endorsement with Monster Cables. They would send me all of this free stuff and I was very excited because I could manage these things for a guy like Stevie, who really didn’t even know how to wash dishes. All he knew how to do was play the guitar, but God bless him for that, because he really did something with what he knew. Anyway, I took these cables we got to Stevie and he said, “I hate these things.” I asked him, “Why, man, they’re the best cables in the world?” He said, “They pass to much electricity.” Those were his exact words, and I’ll never forget it as long as I live. “They pass too much electricity.”

They were too efficient…

Yeah, so he sent me out to the local Radio Shack and told me to buy every gray coil cord they had – not the black ones, only the gray ones. And I thought, “Hhmm, this freakin’ hick from Dallas is telling me this?” I got them and ran them through my capacitance meter and found out that they added like almost .05 mfd to the signal chain. That made it sound solid – it was like having a tone control, and the brightness and harshness that the Marshalls had was eliminated. There isn’t a single picture of Hendrix… back then they already had high-end cables, but there isn’t a single picture of Hendrix where you see him playing with a straight cable. Why?

So in short; get crap cables or get long cables. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

So in short; get crap cables or get long cables. ;)

Sorry man, but that's a ridiculous thing to say.
    That made it sound solid – it was like having a tone control, and the brightness and harshness that the Marshalls had was eliminated.

All well and grand if you want that effect on a Marshall, but what happens when you're using an amp that isn't too bright and harsh for your tastes? Or what if you like your Marshall bright and harsh?

There's way too many variables. Just because using crap cables worked for one man, in one situation, doesn't mean it's going to work for everyone in every situation.

Advertisement