Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please tell me this isn't true...

Options
  • 31-08-2006 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

Sorry to be annoying you with all my threads but..

Does UL start back on the 2nd of January?

If it does: Oh dear GOD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

This isn't true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

It's true.

http://www.ul.ie/acacal/2006-07.html

Week 13
    0.8 wks Tue 02/01/07 - Fri 05/01/07.

Bollocks :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

kaimera wrote:
    It's true.

http://www.ul.ie/acacal/2006-07.html

Week 13
    0.8 wks Tue 02/01/07 - Fri 05/01/07.

Bollocks :(

When was the last time we ever went in for reading week?

But yeah, Bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,463 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thats pretty normal for UL.
    They have exams towards the end of Jan.
    One of the drawbacks of the college.
    Kippy

EDIT:
    UL = University college Limerick(University of Limerick)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭smk135

what's UL?:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

how come they have changed it? isnt week 13 just for study anyway not too much goin on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

kippy wrote:
    EDIT:
    UL = University college Limerick(University of Limerick)
    Erm, there has never been a "college" in the name! Well OK there was Thomond College of Education back in the NIHE days, but that was a good while ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,463 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Erm, there has never been a "college" in the name! Well OK there was Thomond College of Education back in the NIHE days, but that was a good while ago now.
    You're most likely right.
    But people get the idea.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

So we don't have to go in for those 3 days? Or do we?

Week13 is a 'study' week.

No new material but lecturers are there to answer questions coming up to the exams.

• Advertisement

Ah right thank christ for that. I thought I would have had to go back up to Limerick on New Years Day....the horror

EDIT: So exams start on the 8th then? That's still pretty crap, but at least I don't have to go back until that weekend

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

When I was in 4th year in 2002 we started back at 9am Jan 2nd, had to travel up on New Years Day.

Those "reading" weeks are deadly, some sessions were had :cool:

And now I find out we've 3 weeks off when absolutely no one else does. Stupid wannabe American university!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You didn't know before applying to the place?

Could be worse, in the old days there were three terms of ten weeks each, three sets of exams, a nice Christmas with no following exams but wasted time off at Easter if Easter fell in the right week, finishing two weeks after every other college in the country which didn't suit people looking for summer jobs, no 50m pool, no available internet and we got kicked out of our corridor so we had to go live in hole in ground. And we were lucky!

3 weeks off is great tho :)

Not really bothered no one else is off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

sceptre wrote:
    ....no available internet.....

Good lord.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

well it's all changing as of the next academic year, 2007-08. The new calendar has been approved by GA (Governing Authority) which will mean that students will start back earlier in september, have exams before christmas, have christmas break and come back mid-january for the start ofthe new semester.

Can't find link at the mo, will search around.

Besides, I'm on Erasmus next semester...we get TEN DAYS for Christmas hols finishing on the 23rd of Dec and back in lectures on 2nd January, and that's in Warsaw, so not only will I have to go back on New year's day, I'll also have to fork out lots and lots of hard-earned co-op money to pay for the over priced flight. I win. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

looks the same unless this hasnt been changed yet

http://www.ul.ie/acacal/2007-08.html

Brendygg wrote:
    looks the same unless this hasnt been changed yet

http://www.ul.ie/acacal/2007-08.html

Well GA has definitely approved it and it's going ahead...I'll try find a linky somewhere...I was speaking with the SU Education officer about it a few weeks ago and he said it was coming in 07-08 anyway. afaik.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

well it's all changing as of the next academic year, 2007-08. The new calendar has been approved by GA (Governing Authority) which will mean that students will start back earlier in september, have exams before christmas, have christmas break and come back mid-january for the start ofthe new semester.
    Great... they fix it the year AFTER I finish :mad:

• Advertisement

That's good so. The timetable at the moment is a bit insane. Although I do like the extra few weeks off now, especially since my girlfriend went back to school last week! Stinger!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

So the Exams are going to be before Christmas the year I'm on F*ing co-op.

Does that mean we get the 3 weeks from 2nd jan onwards.

I like the callendar as it is, gives that boredom over Christmas a purpose....even the odd 3-4 hours in all over Christmas made a difference to my exams

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

Woohoo, longer Christmas holidays. I have to say, I voted against that change.
    My Christmas exams always go better than my summer ones, because we have a few weeks off to practise and prepare questions for lecturers in week 13.

IceHawk wrote:
    Woohoo, longer Christmas holidays. I have to say, I voted against that change.
    My Christmas exams always go better than my summer ones, because we have a few weeks off to practise and prepare questions for lecturers in week 13.

No way, my summer ones always do better...I think it's the fact that "omg i have exams in 2 weeks" scares me into doing some work, rather than being able to go, "sure they're not til next year!" and getting distracted by all those seasonal festivities that seem to be more attractive than exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

bolox....why don't they leave well enough alone
    i don't like change it scares me...well at least i will be on co-op for the first year of this new regime (hopefully :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Cardinal

I never do any feckin work for my exams anyway. I don't think it maters when they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭missgwish

Cardinal wrote:
    I never do any feckin work for my exams anyway. I don't think it maters when they are.
    seconded

Advertisement