Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the word for...

Options
  • 30-08-2006 6:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just have a mental block on this despite hearing it just a few days ago...

... what's the technical term for a word created by the combination of two other words... for example babysitter is a combination of baby and sitter...

My head is melted trying to think of the correct term...!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

ok.... I think the phrase/word I was thinking of was compound word... :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Anagram.

For example, the letters in the word 'babysitter' also form the words 'bares by tit'.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Probably not what you're looking for but a Portmanteau is a word made up from adding parts of two different words together.

smoke + fog = smog
    breakfast + lunch = brunch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I would have thought it was just a compound word as you say, unless there is some variation of agglutinative...
    I wouldn't think so though.

Advertisement