Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there student discounts on laptops in UL?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Nice laptop. Acers make good machines.

As far as discounts go, they might have had a deal with Dell a few years ago, but I'm not really sure about that now.

There appears to be a page on the UL site about it

http://www.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Information%20Technology%20Division/Student%20Computing/Student%20PC%20Purchase?did=982304642

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I think they offer discounts on the Fujitsu Siemens laptops, I'm not sure about Dell ones. Maybe someone who worked in ITD on co-op could shed some light on this?

Cheers
    Rory

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Buy it now. If you get the 21% VAT excluded as you say you can you'll effectively get a 17.3% discount on the machine. You're not going to get more than 7% or 10% discount from any manufacturer that offers a college tie-in student discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Laptops direct is supposed to be dodgy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Yeah, there's a thread about that on the Laptops forum. People have different experiences though.

I'd recommend going for a Dell. There's no student discount or anything but I've owned Dells for years and never had significant problems. They're good value for money if you shop carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

cooperguy wrote:
    Laptops direct is supposed to be dodgy though.

Me, and 3 other people i know have bought off Laptops Direct and have been fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Well that one thread had lots of responses from happy customers, and the issue was only that the delivery was late...so I feel fairly safe using them

Advertisement