Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Capacity

Options
  • 28-08-2006 8:18pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whats the story with over loading on buses?

Every now and again I'll be on a bus that it gets so packed that it would be impossible to get off (I missed a stop once cause it took so long to get off).

On the bus it clearly states what the capcity of the bus is. X amount standing. Y amount sitting etc.

It seems to me that the bus is well over its capacity yet the bus driver still lets people on. Can the bus driver tell how many people are on the bus?

All it will need is one crash and a hell of a lot of people could easily hurt themselfs or even be killed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

kearnsr wrote:
    Whats the story with over loading on buses?

Every now and again I'll be on a bus that it gets so packed that it would be impossible to get off (I missed a stop once cause it took so long to get off).

On the bus it clearly states what the capcity of the bus is. X amount standing. Y amount sitting etc.

It seems to me that the bus is well over its capacity yet the bus driver still lets people on. Can the bus driver tell how many people are on the bus?

All it will need is one crash and a hell of a lot of people could easily hurt themselfs or even be killed

The bus may frequently appear to be full but the seats (especially on top if a double decker) may not be fully occupied. Passengers tend to congregate near the front. It is difficult for the driver to ascertain the total number of passengers and he/she would not be too popular if stopping to count them.

The driver is in a no win situation - if he passes potential passengers they will also complain.

The total number of passengers permitted is posted on buses. It is usually quite a lot. A Mercedes Citaro articulated bus may legally take 143 passengers.

It could be argued that a full bus is safer than a half empty bus if the driver is forced to brake suddenly.

Irish buses are not generally crowded compared to many other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I've also noticed this on Bus Eireann single deckers. Numerous times I have seen more people standing than permitted. Eg 5 or 6 might be permitted to stand but virtually the full length of the aisle can be crammed with standers so that's a lot more than 5 or 6. In this day and age with compo culture I'm surprised that it goes on. It might seem harsh leaving people at a bus stop because the bus is already at capacity. But OTOH what happens if the driver does take on extra standers, has a crash and one of them breaks their neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

This is why I'm giving up on Dublin Bus and moving into the city centre instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Its cos people are sheep and dont want to go to the back of the bus for some reason. You're more likely to miss your stop if you stand at the back of the standing pile, because the driver cant see you because of a herd of standing idiots.

If everyone was well behaved and sat down, then the driver could EASILY see whats going on and noone would miss a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

BrianD3 wrote:
    I've also noticed this on Bus Eireann single deckers. Numerous times I have seen more people standing than permitted. Eg 5 or 6 might be permitted to stand but virtually the full length of the aisle can be crammed with standers so that's a lot more than 5 or 6. In this day and age with compo culture I'm surprised that it goes on. It might seem harsh leaving people at a bus stop because the bus is already at capacity. But OTOH what happens if the driver does take on extra standers, has a crash and one of them breaks their neck.

The driver is screwed in that situation, the bus company will quote the regulation and deny any responsibility although their insurance will still cover it. Bye-bye licence and job for the driver at the minimum.

The only reason this hasn't been highlighted in a big way is that serious bus accidents are very rare.

Being harsh and sometimes leaving people at the roadside is the correct option in those instances. It can be very hard to do though, especially when the passengers have been let on and paid their fare before the lack of seats is found out.

Single-deckers with standing passengers are restricted to 40mph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

If the driver uses the on board ticket machine correctly, he or she'll have a pretty accurate number of all people on board. During rush hour, most experienced drivers would have an accurate count of the numbers on board, and the amount of spare seats on upper decks. One my mates, whose a Bus Eireann city bus driver, useta be able to hold a running count of number of people, and the fares paid. He was accurate within two or 3 people over the course of 3 hour period. Flat fares, with no stages, but still a pretty remarkable skill.

John R wrote:
    Single-deckers with standing passengers are restricted to 40mph.
    Dublin City center buses would be lucky to hit 10mph during the period from 3.30 to 7.30pm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Bogger77 wrote:
    If the driver uses the on board ticket machine correctly, he or she'll have a pretty accurate number of all people on board. During rush hour, most experienced drivers would have an accurate count of the numbers on board, and the amount of spare seats on upper decks.

How...?The ticket machine can not tell if a passenger has gotten of the bus or is still on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Dub13 wrote:
    How...?The ticket machine can not tell if a passenger has gotten of the bus or is still on board.

But they know where the person is heading to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Zhane wrote:
    But they know where the person is heading to.

Not with day,monthly & yearly tickets...not to mention OAP passengers and people overriding there stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Was on the bus this morning

You can have 49 up stairs
    27 sitting down stairs
    15 standing.

The bus I was on last night had about 6 upstaits standing. Some on the stairs and jammers downstairs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Daily occurence and one reason why I gave up on public transport - the overcrowding.

I bet there was an (half) empty bus following yours too :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Daily occurence and one reason why I gave up on public transport - the overcrowding.

I bet there was an (half) empty bus following yours too :rolleyes:

I was on the 67A. A min after I got off a 67 went by empty

On the 66B this evening there was 20 people standing.

In fairness the bus driver stopped letting people on after that.

In light of the strike at least the drives can see there is a need for new buses. I just dont agree about the way are going about it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The RH's (now RIP) and some RA's are actually certified to hold 20 standees. What type of bus was it?

Bus capacity notice:

Dub13 wrote:
    most tickets work on stages, for cash fares at least.
    and the system knows the stages.

the monthly tickets do cause problems, but at rush hour, it's usually a case of counting the numbers geting on board.

I've been on many buses where the drivers stopped taken on more.

Bus capacity notice:

What kind of bus was that?

Here is one I took this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bogger77 wrote:
    most tickets work on stages, for cash fares at least.
    and the system knows the stages.

Even in a perfect situation where everyone is paying cash, it could only know to within 3 or 4 stops how many people will be/are on board.

Bogger77 wrote:
    I've been on many buses where the drivers stopped taken on more.

They generally stop when people are standing beside the driver and he literally cant fit any more on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

To be fair to the drivers there are a couple of buses in the evening where there are always moronic sheep standing in the way, when there's plenty of seats upstairs.

Wish they could remind passengers of that more regularly though....

• Advertisement

kearnsr wrote:
    What kind of bus was that?
    It was in a Mercedes Citaro (not Dublin Dus)

It was in a Mercedes Citaro (not Dublin Dus)

Not much use to use if its not being used by Dublin Bus. WHo runs it?

kearnsr wrote:
    Not much use to use if its not being used by Dublin Bus. WHo runs it?

Aircoach have six of them on their DAA Long Term Car Park contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

Originally Posted by secret_squirrel
    Wish they could remind passengers of that more regularly though....

commuters sometimes prefer to stand than take a seat upstairs.dunno why?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

darkflower wrote:
    commuters sometimes prefer to stand than take a seat upstairs.dunno why?

Simple: because the drivers keep packing 'em in, and DB policy is such that you MUST exit by the front doors (even where dual-doors are provided.. the move to single-door AV/AX class deckers was just typical of what's wrong with public transport in Ireland IMO - if dual-door buses work in other countries, why not here??), getting down the stairs and up to the front can be a nightmare - especially if you/others have bags - while at the same time, the bus bounces around on our poorly surfaced roads because the drivers refuse to drive at a speed appropriate to these conditions.

Hence, easier to stand near the front (especially if not travelling that far) and avoid all that hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Bogger77 wrote:
    If the driver uses the on board ticket machine correctly, he or she'll have a pretty accurate number of all people on board. During rush hour, most experienced drivers would have an accurate count of the numbers on board, and the amount of spare seats on upper decks. One my mates, whose a Bus Eireann city bus driver, useta be able to hold a running count of number of people, and the fares paid. He was accurate within two or 3 people over the course of 3 hour period. Flat fares, with no stages, but still a pretty remarkable skill.

The ticket machine also counts change tickets.
    On a trip (84) from Newcastle to the city, on reaching Ballbridge where the crowds are waiting it will be displaying close to 300 tickets/passes issued validated.
    What i hate about Nassau st or any busy stops is when i say bus full they tell me where to go or simply ignore me and continue pressing in, stance man should be there to help out.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    if dual-door buses work in other countries, why not here
    Because in other countries, you would not have as many skangers trying to enter the bus without a valid ticket via the centre doors, while passengers are alighting.

Because in other countries, you would not have as many skangers trying to enter the bus without a valid ticket via the centre doors, while passengers are alighting.

Wasnt it also the case for a long time that the unions wouldnt allow the use of dual doors? I think this might have changed after DB bought the single door buses

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

kearnsr wrote:
    Wasnt it also the case for a long time that the unions wouldnt allow the use of dual doors? I think this might have changed after DB bought the single door buses

Between the foothpaths not being built properly and people not parking properly, drivers were afraid to let people out through the middle door because they might be injured. Apparently under crazy Irish law, the driver would be responsible and since DB can't force their drivers to put themselves in the way of a court case, they can't force them to let people out the middle doors. Middle doors, not being used, froze up and, because of an interlock, can cause the bus to be put out of service.

It's such a sham that this sort of thing can't be sorted out. London has one authority working as a unit to facilitate public transport. Dublin has tens of authorities fighting among themselves to see who can do the least with a prize for the group that can hinder public transport most.

I'm not sure about European cities but in LA, the middle door is released by the driver but the alighting passengers have to push it open from the inside. It closes as soon as they're off making it damn near impossible for anyone to get on through it. It's not great for accessibility but it does the trick. Also the lack of conductors or transport police in Dublin means there's no-one to catch fare-dodgers.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote:

Between the foothpaths not being built properly and people not parking properly

Wouldnt this apply to the front door as well? I dunno but I dont see this as a vaild reason behind not using the middle door.

I dont remember the exact exuse why the unions didnt allow the use of the middle door but this is the first time I've heard your reason.

Any DB drivers out there who could shed some light?

Advertisement