Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacked by dog while cycling

Options
  • 28-08-2006 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was out cycling last Friday in the country when I was going by a house and out comes a massive dog (pretty sure it was one of these) and starts barking and chasing me. It was on me in seconds. It was trying to byte my leg but I managed to kick it in the face. This sent me into a wobble and I came flying off the bike at quite a speed. All that I could think off while comming off the bike was the inevitable teeth which would be sank into my face but when I looked up the dog had retreated. I had torn a lot of skin from my left knee and side as well as a lof of other minor cuts and scratches from the fall. I still am in pain today.
    After sitting at the side of the road for a while to recover a bit I called into the house directly in front of me and explained the sutition to them. They told me that the owner lived 2 doors down so I called there also (bringing a stick to fend off the dog which I accually had to do to ring the bell) A lady and her husband came out and again I explained the situation to them. We inspected the bike to find that the back had bent. I told them that I diddnt mind the cuts but I would be billing them to get my bike fixed. They agreed and we swaped details. I have been away all weekend since and have been told that I should have gone to the garda since its my word against theirs. I'm not sure now how I should deal with this situation and am looking for any pointers someone could give. I dont want to get them in trouble but I want to make sure I will be covered for parts/labour to get my bike working to was way it was previous as I do a lot of cycling and it is an expensive bike.

Thanks
    John.

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Are you looking for legal advice? or just general tips?

I'd advise you to read the charter before you answer that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭clearz

I believe I said that I "am looking for any pointers". What would people in the know do in my position?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 matty11111

hypothetically speaking if one is injured in an attack by a dog then the advice might b an action under the control of dogs Act, s21, which reads...

21. (1) The owner of a dog shall be liable in damages for damage caused in an attack on any person by the dog and for injury done by it to any livestock; and it shall not be necessary for the person seeking such damages to show a previous mischievous propensity in the dog, or the owner's knowledge of such previous propensity, or to show that such injury or damage was attributable to neglect on the part of the owner.

and the word ''damage'' means...

“damage” includes death or injury to any person (including any disease caused to a person or any impairment of his physical or mental condition) and includes injury to, or total or partial destruction of, property

in the above hypothesis it would not b worth going to court over such a small thing but the section might convince the owner of the dog to pay for the repair of the bike, especially as the Act also creates criminal liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I give up.
    lol :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement