Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Tax Snafoo

Options
  • 28-08-2006 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

My car tax expires the end of the month, and i cant seem to tax it without the change of ownership cert, (I have the car about 2 weeks) so while i'm waiting for the cert to come through i cant tax it hence cant drive it.

What To Do?

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You can drive it. Just explain if stopped by a Garda. The tax will be from the date of expiry anyway so it's not as if you are getting away without paying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd be inclined to agree with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Volvoboy wrote:
    My car tax expires the end of the month, and i cant seem to tax it without the change of ownership cert, (I have the car about 2 weeks) so while i'm waiting for the cert to come through i cant tax it hence cant drive it.

What To Do?

-VB-

Forget about that, what does the oo in snafoo stand for?

(And yes, you can drive it without taxing it if you've only bought it)

Slow coach wrote:
    Forget about that, what does the oo in snafoo stand

Excuse my ignorance but what does the 'snaf' stand for also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Just a funny word, Snafoo.

Ah thats grand didnt know where i stood.

Thanks

-VB-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

SNAFU - Situation Normal, All Fvcked Up!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    SNAFU - Situation Normal, All Fvcked Up!

Mike.

Well, one learns something every day. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

You could try tax it online. I did it before but I can't remember if I needed any info from the licensing cert or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

You need a pin number from the tax renewal reminder to tax it online.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I have wondered about the need for the PIN since motortax.ie was launched. Are they worried that someone may accidentally tax your car for you? They take the reg and VIN IIRC so there is no room for someone erroneously paying for the wrong car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You don't need the cert. Ring up the DOE in shannon 1890 411 412 and get them to check if the ownership has been transferred on their computer. If it has all you need to do is tell them in the motor tax office that the change of ownership has been done but you haven't got the cert back yet and they'll tax it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

I thought is was Something Naturally Always Fvcks Up?

Edit...no!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SNAFU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭zippo22

I always thought it was a United States navy term. Situation Normal All Fouled Up.

Advertisement