Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Fiasco

Options
  • 28-08-2006 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi all,

Ive been trying in vain to have my land line phone turned on for 6 weeks.
    I was told it was active but i cant get a dial tone, so i called up and told them. I was then told a team would be out to fix the problem.

Six weeks of phone calls and fobbing off later my phone still is not working, and today i got a bill for 70 odd quid for line rental and 2 repair jobs.

I called Eircom and was told there is nothing I can do and if im due any credit it would be taken off my next bill, also my phone may or not be fixed by the end of the month.

Can a company charge for a service that i havent gotten from them?
    and can they charge for a repair job that didn't work?

Many thanks
    Joe Dunne

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

joe_dunne wrote:
    Hi all,

Ive been trying in vain to have my land line phone turned on for 6 weeks.
    I was told it was active but i cant get a dial tone, so i called up and told them. I was then told a team would be out to fix the problem.

Six weeks of phone calls and fobbing off later my phone still is not working, and today i got a bill for 70 odd quid for line rental and 2 repair jobs.

I called Eircom and was told there is nothing I can do and if im due any credit it would be taken off my next bill, also my phone may or not be fixed by the end of the month.

Can a company charge for a service that i havent gotten from them?
    and can they charge for a repair job that didn't work?

Many thanks
    Joe Dunne

Had more or less the same problem with Eircom - at one stage, some dimwit in Faults&Repairs told me to "buy a new phone" - turned out they set the wrong exchange...It took me 6 weeks as well - I found complaining in writing through their website helped (don't waste your time with the hotline...) - I got my own personal Eircom complaint handler assigned ;-), and threaten them with the telcom ombudsman...Got 2 months free landline out of them as well for their mistake! Good luck - don't give up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

If you eircom do not fix any problems you have with their line within 48 hours it states on their website:

"Resolution timeframes
    It is our aim to resolve all complaints received as quickly as possible and to your satisfaction. Where possible we will resolve your complaint at first point of contact.

When we receive your complaint we will categorise it into one of the following main categories: Billing, Installation, Service Degradation, Repair, and Miscellaneous.

We have set indicative timeframes for resolution of complaints for each of these categories:

Billing - within 5 working days of receiving the complaint.

Installation - under the terms of our customer service guarantee if we fail to install your line within 10 working days of our agreeing to do so you can claim a credit of two months free rental. Also if you have a complaint about installation we aim to resolve your complaint within 10 working days.

Service Degradation - If your complaint falls under the category of Service Degradation we will respond immediately outlining the investigation procedure and the resolution timeframes envisaged.

Repair - under the terms of our customer service guarantee it is our aim to clear all faults within 2 working days, if we fail to meet this deadline you can claim the equivalent of two months line rental. Also if you have a complaint to make about a repair we aim to have the complaint resolved within 2 working days of receiving the complaint.

Miscellaneous - within 10 working days of receiving the complaint.

Depending on the individual complaint it may not be possible to resolve every complaint within these timeframes. If we are unable to resolve your complaint within the timeframes, we will keep you regularly informed throughout the process and inform you of the length of time we expect it to take to investigate and resolve.

We will notify you of the resolution of each complaint and retain records of your complaint for a period of not less than one year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭JasperKat

The answer is make an 'official complaint' & get a number/record of how takes the details.... I know it works & here's why:

Over a 6yr period, '00-'06 we have had unimaginable problems with eircom, starting with the fact that it took them mths (dec-apr) to actually connect a residential phone line to our new hse & we live in a main town!....

During the last 6yrs we've gone through countless line-drops for hrs & sometimes days, getting in ISDN was a total nightmare too & despite being told it would solve all the problems as the exchange was upgraded we still suffered no phoneline for hrs & days regularly every month.

More fool us, we then decided to ask for BB... jeez what a joke that was! but again after months of problems we got it!.. we still get the line dropped regularly, but we're living with it!

Even from a business prerspective we haven't had it easy, when we needed a second phone line in the office we had another nightmare... we ordered it & were given a provisional phone no. & install date... then the date was changed to 3 wks ahead, then changed again to 6wks & then changed again & they didn't know when it would be installed as the exchange needed upgrading!!! we're in a town not a field!

Eventually, after several engineers had visited & given many different excuses, countless phonecalls later we were sick to death of it all & made an official complaint - wow did that work! - within 24hrs we had two engineers on site & they sorted out the problem immediately.... so, the moral of the story is make an official complaint & they have to resolve it within 24hrs.

Jasper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 johnppnolan

HI All,
    I live in a remote part of kildare, and during the ryder cup we where hit by storms. Our phone line stopped working, and we stopped paying soon after untill they got it fixed. Now they say we owe them for months of line rental (for the faulty line) and they say the line is fine. Im not a techi, but I can see the the line is snapped and about to fal;l and hit somebody, plus they want to take US to court. Ive emailed comreg, and eircom many times, and now im at my witts end. The last contact was the other day when they said, "sorry we cant help you". Have they gona mad? What can i do?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

complain formally through the complaints section on their website

if not fully resolved in 10 working days then escalate to Comreg .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

A slight bit off topic, but for the likes for new phone lines installed and repairs to existing ones, i can do a next day service... adverts.ie/12404 for more details

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 romper64

eircom are a disaster as i discovered when getting my broadband. there is no point dealing with any of the staff. deal with the senior managers, either <snip>

Advertisement