Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vox AC-30

Options
  • 28-08-2006 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey there,

I'm looking into picking up an old amplifier and was thinking an AC-30, without knowing much about them. I have a Peavey Classic 50 which I like alot so am looking for advice whether I should jump onto the Vox bandwagon.
    In particular wondering

1- Any particular models to look for
    2- Rate 60s vs 70s AC-30s
    3- Anything I need to know about speakers / valves
    4- Where to buy and prices

Cheers for any infor
    Chase

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Wait for Eoin Madsen to post, he knows his **** bout AC30's/valve amps in general

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Quattroste

Be prepared to pay big bucks my friend! I saw a battered old AC30 from 1969 go for over €2300 on ebay a while back. And I mean battered! Fantastic sounding amp though. I use a tonelab for my AC30 sounds ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Id actually recommend a vox AC-15 Twin over a 30. You can drive it damn loud without being too loud for a pub (you *have* to drive a valve amp otherwise it might as well be a smelly old sock imho).
    The original AC-15, though rated for 15Watts actually delivered closer to 30W when totally overdriven (the old ratings were not as strict or as accurate as they are today).

Also there were two issues of AC-15 Twin one after another in the late 50's/early 60's with different speakers. The later one had Celestion Alnico Blue speaker cones that were re-enforced for more bass. These are by far the superior speakers. The AC-30's used these also. Im not sure if the original AC-30s used anything but the Blue speakers because it was released after they copped on to this defeciency with the AC-15's first speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

1- Any particular models to look for
    2- Rate 60s vs 70s AC-30s
    3- Anything I need to know about speakers / valves
    4- Where to buy and prices

Cheers for any infor
    Chase

1. Pre-1969, or post-1992. You'd probably want to go with a top boost version (TB).
    2. The classic AC30 sound is the 60s amp, manufactured while the company was owned by JMI and shortly after. Costs were cut during the 70s and 80s and the spec of the amp was different. The closest versions to be made since the original are from 1992 up to present, since Korg bought Vox.
    3. The Celestion Blue Alnico is the earlier speaker, and more expensive. Some later models also used Celestion Greenbacks. The 70s and 80s ones use all sorts of speakers. There's not much special about the valves. One of the valves in the vibrato is an ECC82 rather than an ECC83 like the rest of the valves in the preamp/PI.
    4. Ebay, if you're looking for an original. If you're going to buy a new Korg one, they tend to be cheaper from the UK, so check some out the shop links in the UK. The new Custom Classic, which is made in China, is supposed to be the best reissue yet by all accounts. It has some nice modern features too - a PPI master volume and an effects loop, notably.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Chase Manhattan

Cheers for the tips, hope I can put it into practice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

old ac-30's can be a minefield of repairs/breakdowns,crank it before you by!

Advertisement